Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB discussing moving NL team to AL

MLB discussing moving NL team to AL

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

I do think that with interleague play, this is a very possible option. The team discussed in the article is the Astros, which seems logical. But, the more radical overall concept is the elimination of the divisions. This seems like a great idea (especially for the Blue Jays, Rays, and Orioles). The most important thing in this system is that the #1 overall seed needs a huge reward, like getting 4 home games in the best of 5 series, or something along those lines.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB discussing moving NL team to AL

I think its about time they even out the leagues. And its time to make interleague play a season long event. The NBA and the NFL do it without any problems.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

I say keep everything the same but either DH for both NL And AL or pitchers have to hit in AL

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sabowned View Post
    I think its about time they even out the leagues. And its time to make interleague play a season long event. The NBA and the NFL do it without any problems.
    Agree 100% No reason why that can't be accomplished with a 162-game schedule.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Give up interleague play and go back to a balanced schedule where all teams play each other an equal amount of times

I'm not sure why they'd pick Houston, though. Seems like they'd want to keep one NL and one AL team in Texas. Colorado maybe? Or move Milwaukee back.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Give up interleague play and go back to a balanced schedule where all teams play each other an equal amount of times
    I like getting to see some of the great AL stars play against Cincinnati. It's crazy that MLB went so long with fans not being able to see some of the greats from the opposite league up close.

To have interleague play be an even bigger part of the schedule (necessary with this change), I think it's high-time that either the AL hits with the pitcher or the NL features the DH. I don't really care either way, but regardless of which one they use, it needs to be the same for both leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Interleague play isn't going anywhere. Right or wrong, attendance does tend to increase during interleague play and a lot of me thinks that this is one of the reasons that they are discussing this type of realignment/scheduling.

I hope this happens. I brought up the issue on this board a couple months ago and the main reason against it seemed to be how to balance the schedule w/o including so many interleague games.

I am totally for it. It's a shame that we don't get to see all the other 29 MLB teams each year in my opinion. A schedule featuring more interleage matchups would definitely help attendance....which in today's world means more $$$$ and perhaps better ratings to help compete with the NFL & NBA.

Why not keep the three divisions in each league as they are (East, Central, West) and pluck the Astros from our division and stick them in the AL West??? I've always thought it to be a little unfair that we have to contend with five other teams for the division title while the Angels, A's, Mariners and Rangers have only three teams vying for theirs.
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ruREaDy2 View Post
    Why not keep the three divisions in each league as they are (East, Central, West) and pluck the Astros from our division and stick them in the AL West??? I've always thought it to be a little unfair that we have to contend with five other teams for the division title while the Angels, A's, Mariners and Rangers have only three teams vying for theirs.
    Selig's greatest blunder, IMO. That is, the greatest that he was allowed to consumate.

Houston to AL West makes all the sense in the world.

As much as we hate interleague around here, I've come to accept that the AL will never relinquish the DH (Dunn/Konerko can't both play 1B, for example; there's no way to convince AL teams to give up their star veteran hitters who can't play a position), and that the NL is a superior league in terms of strategy for not having it.

Also, I see the Astros moving. Of all the NL Central teams, they have the least in terms of history to lose by moving.

I wish the A.L. pitchers would hit..get rid of the DH IMO, and either the Astros or Brewers moving would work. There should be 15 teams in each league.

As for interleague play. I like it because its something different, and I like seeing the good A.L. teams and there star players playing in the National league parks and vise versa

id like it. playing like 25% of the games vs the AL. and 75% against the NL dispersed equally.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I'm not sure why they'd pick Houston, though. Seems like they'd want to keep one NL and one AL team in Texas. Colorado maybe? Or move Milwaukee back.
    I doubt they'd move the Brewers back as they've developed a great rivalry with the Cubs that they never had with the Sox.

I think they should shift the Diamondbacks to the AL West (good regional rival for the Rangers and Angels) and then shift the Astros into the NL West.

Now, on a wilder note with regards to the DH, here's a new idea:

Starting pitchers have to hit, but also must now pitch into the 7th inning to get the win. You can use a DH once you've gone to your bullpen after the 7th inning. Starters have PLENTY of time in the off days to get into the batting cage and take some swings. The bullpen guys pitch almost every day, it makes sense for them to not have to bat.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Turn Off Ads?