Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dayton Notes

Dayton Notes

Hamilton: Last 13 games: .360, 6 extra base hits, only 1 error in nine games in June. Hamilton at 50 SB through 61 games.

Lohman: Last 13 games: .340.

Drew Hayes: Last 17 games: 22 IP, 2 R, 0.82 ERA.

Stalin Gerson starts tonight in spot vacated by Tanner Robles. Frank Pfister to Bakersfield to create roster spot for Gerson.

Kyle Lotzkar will start Tuesday in a doubleheader. A roster spot will have to be created (Gerson's?).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Dayton Notes

I wonder how they will handle Lotzkar. If he does well will they fast-track him?

Very carefully I would expect. Just hoping he can stay healthy. Don't expect anything spectacular right out of the gate. Give him a few starts to get some confidence. It has been a long road back for him. Remember, he was in Dayton in 2008.

Looking forward to that first start, probably the second game of the DH Tuesday.

-The Insider-

Yea. I would guess that if everything goes well he could be in Bakersfield by the end of the year though, right?

Is Hamilton still switch hitting? If so, how are his splits over those 13 games?

Re: Lotzkar: I don't think anyone is even thinking that far ahead. Lets just hope things go well for now. Reportedly, his velocity is not back up to where it was in spring training before the set back. It is one start at a time, see how it goes.

Re: Hamilton: Yes, he is a switch-hitter. In my opinion, they are making the correct call to ask him to continue to switch hit. It is not as if his right-handed at-bats are going to win any batting titles either. He is definitely looking better from the left side lately than he was, as the numbers indicate. Better defense lately too, though he had a throwing error last night after I posted this.

For the record, Hamilton has a very strong arm (strong enough to play short, without question). He has a tendency to drop his elbow on throws and throw it submarine style, which causes the ball to go high and results in errors. They are trying to work with him to correct this.

There are still scouts who maintain that Hamilton will be a second basemen and others who swear his best position will end up being center field. As I said in another thread, scouts are not as much in agreement on most things as you would believe. But it should be said: Scouts love Hamilton.

One other note from last night: Duran lifted from the game after not running out a ball.
    Last edited by redsof72; 06-12-2011 at 12:32 PM.

I saw Hamilton play for the first time in person last evening. All batting from the left side, he hit a nice line drive to deep left center that was caught in the first and later had a bunt single and got thrown out attempting to steal.

The throwing error seemed to have resulted from throwing submarine style to first pulling the 1B off the bag. Otherwise, he looked good in the field. I agree, his arm looks strong on throws to first.

All said, the guy oozes confidence both in the field and at the dish.

The last time I saw the Dragons (also here in Chicagoland) was when Jay Bruce was in CF and Wood was pitching so naturally I had to see what the buzz about Hamilton was all about.

Sounds to me like the organization is putting a lot of faith in Delino Deshields. That Dayton crew is an important bunch, and apparently strong guidance is needed.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Re: Lotzkar: I don't think anyone is even thinking that far ahead. Lets just hope things go well for now. Reportedly, his velocity is not back up to where it was in spring training before the set back. It is one start at a time, see how it goes.

Re: Hamilton: Yes, he is a switch-hitter. In my opinion, they are making the correct call to ask him to continue to switch hit. It is not as if his right-handed at-bats are going to win any batting titles either. He is definitely looking better from the left side lately than he was, as the numbers indicate. Better defense lately too, though he had a throwing error last night after I posted this.

For the record, Hamilton has a very strong arm (strong enough to play short, without question). He has a tendency to drop his elbow on throws and throw it submarine style, which causes the ball to go high and results in errors. They are trying to work with him to correct this.

There are still scouts who maintain that Hamilton will be a second basemen and others who swear his best position will end up being center field. As I said in another thread, scouts are not as much in agreement on most things as you would believe. But it should be said: Scouts love Hamilton.

One other note from last night: Duran lifted from the game after not running out a ball.

What is the deal with Duran and the other bonus baby? Are they really that full of themselves? Is the game too easy for them that when they are not doing well, they act like prima donnas?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    What is the deal with Duran and the other bonus baby? Are they really that full of themselves? Is the game too easy for them that when they are not doing well, they act like prima donnas?
    Those guys are kids, they have to learn to play the game. It has to be done at Dayton.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Those guys are kids, they have to learn to play the game. It has to be done at Dayton.
    I understand that. You can deal with that.....just not the perception of an attitude that everyone seems to be writing/talking about.

There has been nothing negative written about Duran's attitude that I can remember.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Duran may just be playing it a little safe coming off the hamstring injury

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I understand that. You can deal with that.....just not the perception of an attitude that everyone seems to be writing/talking about.
    Right, but if someone is going to get pulled, benched, or disciplined, it is best that it gets done in the Midwest League.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Right, but if someone is going to get pulled, benched, or disciplined, it is best that it gets done in the Midwest League.
    Of course...agreed there. Thanks for the responses.

Turn Off Ads?