Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alonso Defense

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Alonso Defense

So now he is playing left field. Shame on me for not knowing this until now. But regardless, how is he looking out there? Is he making the transition that everyone thought he could not? Or is he Adam Dunn esq.

Once again, sorry I did not catch on to this earlier.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Alonso Defense

Adam Dunn esq.

He has improved, but that isn't saying too much.

I think a comparison to Dunn isn't quite fair. Dunn let relatively easy balls get past him. Yonder is pretty good as long as he gets to the ball. His only problem is getting to balls where route and speed are necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I think a comparison to Dunn isn't quite fair. Dunn let relatively easy balls get past him. Yonder is pretty good as long as he gets to the ball. His only problem is getting to balls where route and speed are necessary.
    Hopefully route comes with experience, because he'll never have the speed. He's only had one error on the season, though.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I've heard he makes Jonny Gomes look like a Gold-Glove outfielder.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    You have heard wrong. Alonso isn't good out there, but Gomes is pretty dang on brutal. They are on the same level in my opinion. Gomes has more range because his speed is better, but he takes brutal routes and has no judgement so his range doesn't play better. Alonso has a decent arm and much better than you would expect from a first baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Just for the record, Fangraphs has Gomes as a plus defender so far this year. +2.1 UZR and +9.6 UZR/150. Maybe Thom and Chris are right?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You have heard wrong. Alonso isn't good out there, but Gomes is pretty dang on brutal. They are on the same level in my opinion. Gomes has more range because his speed is better, but he takes brutal routes and has no judgement so his range doesn't play better. Alonso has a decent arm and much better than you would expect from a first baseman.
    I would bet over the course of a full season, you would see Alonso's UZR worse than Gomes.

Alonso's routes are horrid. Little League bad.

But he's gotten better since last season. So maybe there's hope he turns into a Gomes type defender. He does catch almost everything he gets to.

He also looks like he's going to be a better bat than Jonny. He'll need to go 850 or so as a LF to have positive value, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I would bet over the course of a full season, you would see Alonso's UZR worse than Gomes.
    It is possible, but I don't think it would be by much. Alonso, much like Gomes, is going to catch what he gets to. Problem is, neither guy gets to a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is possible, but I don't think it would be by much. Alonso, much like Gomes, is going to catch what he gets to. Problem is, neither guy gets to a lot.
    But Alonso, so far at least, gets to much, much less.

His UZR would be Dunn-ian. It could very well be worse than that. His routes are horrific-- much, much worse than Gomes. Add in his lack of speed and he's worse than anyone right now in the major leagues by a significant margin. (Think Dave Kingman in his latter years, without the arm, or Greg Luzinski.)

But he's improved a great deal in a year. He's beter now than I ever thought he'd be. And his bat looks to be better than Gomes by a significant margin. He'll have to OPS 850 (the 120 - 130 OPS+ range this season) to be a "good" choice overall.

Personally, I'd rather try Sappelt there, as he balances the lineup and should provide a much better glove. But Alonso looks like a better choice than Gomes at ths point, certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    His UZR would be Dunn-ian. It could very well be worse than that. His routes are horrific-- much, much worse than Gomes. Add in his lack of speed and he's worse than anyone right now in the major leagues by a significant margin. (Think Dave Kingman in his latter years, without the arm, or Greg Luzinski.)
    I mean, could there possibly be a worse scouting report? I guess maybe if he compared him to a Bengie Molina in LF with a sprained ankle?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    But Alonso, so far at least, gets to much, much less.

I don't think you watch Gomes play enough if you think Alonso takes much worse routes.

I don't think Gomes has been a good defensive player since being a Red. He's better this year so far, partly, IMO, due to the loss of weight and off-season work. Whether that continues or not is anyone's guess.

But, while Gomes' routes are indeed bad, Alonso's are postively Manny-esque. His routes are banana-shaped, which leads to even poorer range than his slow feet would allow. (They are better than they were when he started-- at that point, he'd run in semi-circles to where he thought the ball might land.)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Just so we're operating with a full deck here -- has anyone actually watched Yonder play more than 2 or 3 times, or is this all based on "I went to a game a few Fridays ago and he looked terrible?"
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?