Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alonso Defense

Re: Alonso Defense

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    So if LF is not an option, do you guys who see Yonder quite often believe that the Reds best option is to boost his value in the minors and trade him in a package for ML talent?

I have to assume the Reds will do all in their power to keep Votto, so it doesn't seem like Alosno has a spot on the Reds roster anytime soon.
    Yes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because it is arguable that there are actually better options. Sappelt is the only one with an argument in my opinion.
    Frazier is an obvious option to me. Plus he brings the versatility to cover for Rolen at 3B when someone else gets a start in left.

Frazier
    v LHP - .254/.376/.563 - .940

v RHP - .301/.362/.485 - .847

Alonso
    v LHP - .305/.355/.524 - .879

v RHP - .321/.382/.494 - .875

Of those 2, why would one be an option in left and not the other?
    Last edited by GOYA; 06-13-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Why have a guy on the bench who can only play 1B with any effectiveness at the Major League level? Do you put him out there in Left Field when a pitcher at the GAB needs every bit of help he can get on Defense?

Alonso gets as long as he needs at AAA to learn to play Left Field "OR" until he gets traded to another organization.

In the meantime, others, like Frazier, Hermida, etc., should be promoted before him to the REDS' big-league club. He gets the September call-up, obviously, if he is still a RED, but I can't see a reason to put him on that bench, when a guy like Frazier can play 3 or 4 positions off of the bench.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Frazier is an obvious option to me. Plus he brings the versatility to cover for Rolen at 3B when someone else gets a start in left.

Frazier

Alonso

Okay, now here's one I don't know. I've seen Frazier play the IF slots quite a bit, but I've yet to see him in the OF. How is Todd's defense in LF?
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Okay, now here's one I don't know. I've seen Frazier play the IF slots quite a bit, but I've yet to see him in the OF. How is Todd's defense in LF?
    It's pretty good imho. He's a better left fielder than a third baseman if you ask me.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Fine routes? I know he's got the foot speed and the arm for left. It's mainly the route taking that's really up in the air I'd think.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Frazier

Alonso

Because I trust Alonso's bat to be above average in the Majors and I don't trust Todd's. Not that Todd can't be, but I don't have nearly the same kind of faith in his bat at the next level as I do Alonso's.

Alonso has the most talented bat in the system, bar none.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Honestly, this whole thread is very confusing. Multiple people seem to have seen Alonso play a bunch of games in left. Some say he would be just below adequate (probably around Gomes) while others who have watched the same guy play left say it's beyond terrible. And all these posters are ones that I generally trust. I really don't know what to think.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Honestly, this whole thread is very confusing. Multiple people seem to have seen Alonso play a bunch of games in left. Some say he would be just below adequate (probably around Gomes) while others who have watched the same guy play left say it's beyond terrible. And all these posters are ones that I generally trust. I really don't know what to think.
    I go with what dougdirt says about his abilities. I just disagree with him (maybe he didn't exactly say that, but he has wondered why he hasn't been called up and given a chance) that the Major League staff should be subjected to either Gomes' or Alonso's Defense in Left Field at the GAB.

The bottom-line is that he's hitting as expected and is showing why he was drafted where he was while at the same time raising the value of his trade ability.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-14-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I get where you're coming from. This is just one more opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but here's what I'd say. Gomes is far below adequate in left field. Granted, he does seem improved this year, but that's not saying much. Defensively, Alonso may be an upgrade, but it wouldn't be by much at all. The big difference is that Alonso has more potential with his bat. In other words, by MLB standards, Alonso would be a terrible left fielder in terms of defense, but if you're already putting up with Gomes, why not give Alonso a chance if he has more potential? I'm not saying the Reds should go that route, but it's definitely logical thinking.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Because Alonso projects to be the better bat, long-term while most people have pegged Frazier to be a utility guy.

If you're going to go young, go with the guy who has the most potential.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Is Alonso capable of making this play that Gomes made?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index..._away&c_id=cin

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

No chance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Nope. Gomes actually seemed to take a good route to that ball. Something he usually doesn't do.

Turn Off Ads?