Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Aaron Poreda

Aaron Poreda

was just DFA'd by San Diego. The former 1st round pick was the key to the Jake Peavy trade, but has struggled so far this year in AAA. Still 24 and left-handed, I'd see if he could be had for a song, as I'm a sucker for faded prospects and former first round picks who still have time to turn it around.

At least he's younger than Tom Cochran or Chad Reineke. Since they have interest in young, cheap OF (rumored Heisey deal) I might offer up Felix Perez, who clearly has no future in Cincy.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Aaron Poreda

He had an ERA over 7 this year in Trips. I understand what you're saying but I'd rather have Horst or eventually Donnie Joseph than use up a 40-man spot on Poreda.
    As for Perez's future with the Reds, he has a lot to learn. I don't know if he's as good as people thought last year, but he is just one year into his professional career. He still could be a big league backup for this organization that is somewhat thin at the backup outfield spot.

Tall lefties often take awhile to develop, but the guy has demonstrated no control whatsoever the last few years. If the development guys see something they can fix, I guess the upside is there. But he definitely looks like a project at this point.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/200...-sox-rotation/

They really liked this guy in the spring of 2009. Somewhere along the line he forgot how to throw strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    He had an ERA over 7 this year in Trips. I understand what you're saying but I'd rather have Horst or eventually Donnie Joseph than use up a 40-man spot on Poreda.
    As for Perez's future with the Reds, he has a lot to learn. I don't know if he's as good as people thought last year, but he is just one year into his professional career. He still could be a big league backup for this organization that is somewhat thin at the backup outfield spot.
    I don't think this team is thin at backup outfield spots at ALL.

Bruce
    Stubbs
    Heisey
    Gomes
    Lewis
    Sappelt
    Alonso
    Frazier
    Francisco
    Hermida
    LaMarre
    Dorn
    Negron
    Puckett
    Fellhauer

I'd put all of those guys on the depth chart ahead of Perez, who turns 27 this year and is OPSing .576 in AA.
    Go BLUE!!!

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't think this team is thin at backup outfield spots at ALL.

Bruce
    Stubbs
    Heisey
    Gomes
    Lewis
    Sappelt
    Alonso
    Frazier
    Francisco
    Hermida
    LaMarre
    Dorn
    Negron
    Puckett
    Fellhauer

I'd put all of those guys on the depth chart ahead of Perez, who turns 27 this year and is OPSing .576 in AA.
    Bruce-starter
    Stubbs-starter
    Heisey-backup, possibly starter
    Gomes- Gone after this year
    Lewis- gone after this year
    Sapp-Could be a starter
    Alonso-Could be traded soon, natural infielder.
    Frazier- could start or be back in Trips next year, natural infielder.
    Francisco-Could be dealt, only used in the outfield in emergency settings
    Hermida-Could be gone after this year
    LaMarre-Will be in Double-A next year, big league backup at worse
    Dorn-Likely gone next year
    Negron-mostly plays infield but can play center
    Puckett-infielder who can play left.
    Fellhauer-Could be big league backup at worse.

So that's, four or five "outfielders" that won't be starting and likely in the organization next year. What I was saying was that we don't have a deep outfield backup depth. Perez could very well tank and not make it to the show, but what I was saying is that we don't have many pure backup outfielders that are close.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Bruce-starter
    Stubbs-starter
    Heisey-backup, possibly starter
    Gomes- Gone after this year
    Lewis- gone after this year
    Sapp-Could be a starter
    Alonso-Could be traded soon, natural infielder.
    Frazier- could start or be back in Trips next year, natural infielder.
    Francisco-Could be dealt, only used in the outfield in emergency settings
    Hermida-Could be gone after this year
    LaMarre-Will be in Double-A next year, big league backup at worse
    Dorn-Likely gone next year
    Negron-mostly plays infield but can play center
    Puckett-infielder who can play left.
    Fellhauer-Could be big league backup at worse.

So that's, four or five "outfielders" that won't be starting and likely in the organization next year. What I was saying was that we don't have a deep outfield backup depth. Perez could very well tank and not make it to the show, but what I was saying is that we don't have many pure backup outfielders that are close.
    All I'm saying, is that a guy who is turning 27 and is OPSing <.600 in AA has almost no value to this organization IMO. If we could get a 24 year old lefty, even with a 7+ ERA in AAA for him, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.
    Go BLUE!!!

-The Insider-

I understand. I think I'm being argumentative just because. Sorry.

-The Insider-

Just an update, left-handed pitcher Aaron Poreda was outrighted to Triple-A Tuscan by the Padres today.

hmmm...he is striking out a batter per inning, giving up less than a hit per inning, and has only served up 1 hr in 32 innings. His stuff must still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    hmmm...he is striking out a batter per inning, giving up less than a hit per inning, and has only served up 1 hr in 32 innings. His stuff must still be there.
    I don't think that was ever in question. The problem is he has no clue where it's going. He's also walking a batter per inning.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?