Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Youth hitters hitting fast pitchers

Re: Youth hitters hitting fast pitchers

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Yes, obviously having someone pitch to them at that speed is the best option, then machine, then soft toss. I was assuming that was off the table since Big Klu said he had an old man arm. Working on their timing step is one thing you can do without throwing any pitches and that should help some of them a lot.

Another thing you could do is ask players on your team if they have an older brother, maybe a year or two older that could match the speed of the pitchers you are facing. See if they would come to practice and throw BP. Offer them a fountain drink or Icee after practice if they do.
    Good idea. I didn't mean to discount the benefits of the pitching machine. It can be a great tool when developing and practicing hitting. Youth teams sometimes don't have access to one, so alternatives can be helpful.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not much should change based on how hard a guy is throwing. I don't recommend changing where a hitter stands in the box. If he can cover the whole plate and is comfortable in a certain position in the box, keep him there no matter who is throwing.

The only thing I like to remind a hitter when he's facing a guy with a little more zip is to make sure he has his front foot down earlier. A swing can't start until your front foot is down and a lot of times kids struggle against a fast pitcher because they don't have their front foot down in time. Get your front foot down early, while keeping your weight evenly distrubted, and throw your hands at the ball.

Now, good luck drilling that into 3rd and 4th graders heads...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Maybe you can contact a local batting cage place see if they would provide a reduce rate or even give your players some free time during non-peak hours. Or how about renting a pitching machine?

Or find some older high school kid that has a good arm and see if he wants to do some community service time as an assistant coach.

Or tweet Brandon Phillips and he might bring over Chapman to pitch to the kids.
    Last edited by RBA; 06-15-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    The only thing I like to remind a hitter when he's facing a guy with a little more zip is to make sure he has his front foot down earlier. A swing can't start until your front foot is down and a lot of times kids struggle against a fast pitcher because they don't have their front foot down in time. Get your front foot down early, while keeping your weight evenly distrubted, and throw your hands at the ball.

Now, good luck drilling that into 3rd and 4th graders heads...
    This is your answer. Kids swing late on pitches not because they have slow swings but because they are planting their foot and starting their swings late. Get the kids used to having their front foot planted early just before the pitcher is to release the ball.

Like Freak said, at that age body control and mind control can be a bit tough to manage, so some kids might have trouble with timing and balance (and remembering).

Quote Originally Posted by frenetic wave View Post
    This is your answer. Kids swing late on pitches not because they have slow swings but because they are planting their foot and starting their swings late. Get the kids used to having their front foot planted early just before the pitcher is to release the ball.

Like Freak said, at that age body control and mind control can be a bit tough to manage, so some kids might have trouble with timing and balance (and remembering).
    I agree...I think the front foot is the key. It usually isn't the issue of getting the bat through in time, it's getting started late because of that front foot.

Great peace of advice from you two!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?