Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a worse team on the bases then the Reds?

Is there a worse team on the bases then the Reds?

I mean really we are horrible at baserunning. Twice last night EV cost us on the base paths. I mean really HITH do you get doubled up off second on a deep fly ball? It's real simple, you go about half way, ball caught you return to 2nd, ball not caught you are at third at worse but should score. Then on the ball hit by stubbs down the corner how do you only get to second EV? How many games have we lost just due to very very bad baserunning?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is there a worse team on the bases then the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I mean really we are horrible at baserunning. Twice last night EV cost us on the base paths. I mean really HITH do you get doubled up off second on a deep fly ball? It's real simple, you go about half way, ball caught you return to 2nd, ball not caught you are at third at worse but should score. Then on the ball hit by stubbs down the corner how do you only get to second EV? How many games have we lost just due to very very bad baserunning?
    While I'm not always a huge stats guy, the Reds baserunning stats are about middle of the pack in MLB this season. They are slighty above the league average in XBT% (Reds at 42%, league average at 41), slightly above average in total stolen bases (Reds 47, league avg 44) and slighlty below average in SB% (Reds 71%, league avg 72%).

What Volquez did last night was completely inexcusable and absloutely cost the team at least one run last night but, IMO, stating that the team generally a bad baserunning team is not accurate especailly when considering that they are usually aggressive on the base paths. When you are as aggressive as the Reds like to be there is a chance that you are going to look stupid every now and again but, for the most part, they run the bases no better or worse than most MLB teams.

Fangraphs has the Reds as the second best baserunning team in the majors. I didn't see any explanation as to how they arrived at that conclusion. But if I am reading it correctly, Reds' baserunning is about 6 and a half runs to the good.

I think overall we are a really good baserunning team, aggressive which I really like. The problem is when we are bad, we are very, very bad and dumb which sticks out more when so good most of the time. If I was Baker I would have yanked Volquez off the field during his blunder and sent him to Dayton at that very moment to learn how the game is played. NO excuses for that.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

The Reds take pride in being one of the better baserunning teams in the MLB, it has won them alot of games by taking extra bases. They are in the top 5 in the MLB in going first to third on a single, i know it was bad last night, but it was Volquez? Our pitcher.

When a couple base running mistakes happen in the same game it might give the impression that we are a horrible base running team, but I'm blaming last nights gaffe strictly on Volquez. There is no excuse for that. but you could also make a case for the bullpen not doing their job either but that would be a discussion for another thread

It was the pitcher making mistakes on the basepaths... THE PITCHER!!!!!!!! Seriously, if he strikes out 4 times in a game would you make the argument "They are a terrible hitting team, they strike out way too much!" You can't put the entire teams offensive strengths and weaknesses on the shoulders of the pitcher.

You always find things to criticize, don't you? They can be on a 20 game winning streak, and you would find something negative to pick out. Get over it! Baseball is a form of entertainment, you are wound too dag-on tight on it.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    It was the pitcher making mistakes on the basepaths... THE PITCHER!!!!!!!! Seriously, if he strikes out 4 times in a game would you make the argument "They are a terrible hitting team, they strike out way too much!" You can't put the entire teams offensive strengths and weaknesses on the shoulders of the pitcher.

You always find things to criticize, don't you? They can be on a 20 game winning streak, and you would find something negative to pick out. Get over it! Baseball is a form of entertainment, you are wound too dag-on tight on it.
    I'm sorry but when you put on the uniform it doesn't matter what position you play, you should know the basics of the game. You don't EVER get doubled up off of 2nd on a ball hit like it was, it's basic baseball. Also when your OWN players are pissed at you then there is an issue. To accept this as a fan is unacceptable, it's okay to "lose" not to give games away. Were you okay with Phillips getting picked off of second back in the Philly series? Winning teams don't make dumb base running mistakes. I am okay with making an out due to hustle, but making outs due to stupidity, that is totally unacceptable and has now cost us more then just one game. This is just more proof of poor coaching/managing.

Sorry but I refuse to accept a basically .500 record with a team as talented as the Reds. To me it's not "entertaining" to watch a talented team give away games and not be in the race for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Fangraphs has the Reds as the second best baserunning team in the majors. I didn't see any explanation as to how they arrived at that conclusion. But if I am reading it correctly, Reds' baserunning is about 6 and a half runs to the good.
    We have a winner!

I'm sorry but when you put on the uniform it doesn't matter what position you play, you should know the basics of the game. You don't EVER get doubled up off of 2nd on a ball hit like it was, it's basic baseball. Also when your OWN players are pissed at you then there is an issue. To accept this as a fan is unacceptable, it's okay to "lose" not to give games away. Were you okay with Phillips getting picked off of second back in the Philly series? Winning teams don't make dumb base running mistakes. I am okay with making an out due to hustle, but making outs due to stupidity, that is totally unacceptable and has now cost us more then just one game. This is just more proof of poor coaching/managing.

Sorry but I refuse to accept a basically .500 record with a team as talented as the Reds. To me it's not "entertaining" to watch a talented team give away games and not be in the race for the playoffs.
    Would you rather he spent more time on baserunning than pitching?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

No one has ever accused Dusty Baker of having fundamentally sound teams. They never are.

Every team makes baserunning mistakes, and often stupid ones. That's just the way it is. There are many far worse teams than the Reds in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Every team makes baserunning mistakes, and often stupid ones. That's just the way it is. There are many far worse teams than the Reds in that department.
    No the very good teams don't continually make bad dumb baserunning mistakes. It's a lack of discipline from the manager and coach.

No the very good teams don't continually make bad dumb baserunning mistakes. It's a lack of discipline from the manager and coach.
    Can you think of more than 3 examples?

-Phillips admitted after the game that it was his mess up. Carry on.
    - Volquez x2: He's a pitcher. Get over it.

The fact is, the Reds do not run themselves into too many outs. Some, yes, but not as many as you claim it to be.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

I agree with Nathan...Volquez' base running blunders just happened on a day where we couldn't muster a timely hit when we had the opportunities....we had more scoring chances
    than just the inning when Volquez gaffed....we just didn't come through offensively like has happened on numerous occasions....Our offensive and pitching failures are of much more concern than our base running.

Turn Off Ads?