Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why the Reds should trade Ryan Hanigan

Re: why the Reds should trade Ryan Hanigan

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    OF surplus is what we have. You won't get a better OF for Hannigan than what we have currently in the majors and minors. Do you think we'd get someone better than Alonso?
    Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Could Hanigan net us Brett Gardner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    My guess is no. I doubt the Yankees are looking to trade a starting OF for a catcher like Hanigan, especially when they already have Russ Martin and Jesus Montero (regardless of whether or not he can stay behind the plate).

Hanigan is unlikely to yield the Reds a player that could be a significant upgrade in the majors for this season.
    LF is the place where i think a non blockbuster could help the Reds. I don't think we have a 'surplus'. we have 2 guys that aren't helping the team much and then theres Heisey who I like but Walt/Dusty seem to think is a 4th outfielder. I personally would try to package Alonso in some (other) big deal as I have my doubts about him playing left field. If Hanigan could net us a guy like Ludwick or Gradner that would be a good trade.

One thing to rememeber is that this is not the off season. A couple of teams really need help behind the plate right now. There are no free agents to sign. Every day the team waits they are playing a AAA guy behind the plate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Playing with the idea of a true blackbuster that would help both teams:

Reds trade Heisey, Janish, Hanigan, and Alonso.

Tampa Bay trades Jeremy Hellickson

Rays get four (!) starters for a true TOR ace.

It's an impossible deal, but one that very well would help both teams.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum from the original poster. I don't think Hernandez is anywhere CLOSE to as good at the plate as he's been thus far this year. I think he's in for a major crash back to earth. However, that being said, it IS a great time to sell high on him.

Hanigan is signed for a stunningly low amount for the next few years IIRC. He is perfectly suited to be the full-time starter or if Mesoraco comes up and produces, then to be the back up. Whereas Hernandez is due for a decline, Hanigan is due for his numbers to improve I'd say.

And that whole Spanish-speaking thing...it's WAY overblown. Both Dusty & Bryan speak spanish, and other than Chapman all the Latino pitchers speak English fine anyway.

I'm for holding onto Hanigan, but trading Hernandez this summer while his stock is high and while we can still get some return for him. The ideal scenario, if you ask me:

Hernandez and Renteria to los Gigantes for southpaw Eric Surkamp, their AA starting pitcher born in Cincinnati.

The Giants are struggling with Posey and Fontenot's injuries, and they now have guys manning C and SS that rightfully belong back in AAA. We have exactly the veterans they need, and we also have the luxury of trading same with Hanigan and Janish remaining on our 25-man roster, and Mesoraco and Cozart well deserving of promotions -- not just tomorrow, but yesterday!

We take some risks moving vets while we're in contention, but if you ask me, we endure as much risk standing pat. This team as now constituted needs a little infusion of energy and excitement that Cozart and Mesoraco might well provide.

And having Surkamp waiting in the wings to join our rotation wouldn't hurt. He doesn't have a blazing fastball, but he's got a solid mix of plus-pitches and has KO'd batters everywhere he's pitched. Could become a hometown favorite!

The Reds have three viable catchers. The Reds have holes. Other teams really need catchers. To me this is an opportunity to trade from a surplus to fill a need. Pretty straightforward.

The standard thought expressed here on the ORG is that we should keep Ramon (speaks Spanish, veteran prescence, playing well, etc). As part of this thought we also have to keep Ryan. Why? to pair with Mes next year. So Mes stays in AAA until a few ABs in September. this is the scenario i don't like. since most folks seem to want to keep Ramon I suggested a new scenario. I actually would be fine if the Reds traded Ramon & got value for him. Then go with Mes/Hanigan.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    I'm for holding onto Hanigan, but trading Hernandez this summer while his stock is high and while we can still get some return for him. The ideal scenario, if you ask me:

Hernandez and Renteria to los Gigantes for southpaw Eric Surkamp, their AA starting pitcher born in Cincinnati.

The Giants are struggling with Posey and Fontenot's injuries, and they now have guys manning C and SS that rightfully belong back in AAA. We have exactly the veterans they need, and we also have the luxury of trading same with Hanigan and Janish remaining on our 25-man roster, and Mesoraco and Cozart well deserving of promotions -- not just tomorrow, but yesterday!

We take some risks moving vets while we're in contention, but if you ask me, we endure as much risk standing pat. This team as now constituted needs a little infusion of energy and excitement that Cozart and Mesoraco might well provide.

And having Surkamp waiting in the wings to join our rotation wouldn't hurt. He doesn't have a blazing fastball, but he's got a solid mix of plus-pitches and has KO'd batters everywhere he's pitched. Could become a hometown favorite!
    I actually like the sound of this one. I hate losing Hernandez, but at the same time we've GOT to open up room for Mesoraco AND strike while the iron is hot on Ramon. Not to mention it frees up some moolah if we want to add someone a bit later on.

-The Insider-

I think Surkamp is too good for Hernandez and Renteria. Despite how well Hernandez is doing, I don't know if he's going to bring a great load in return.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I think Surkamp is too good for Hernandez and Renteria. Despite how well Hernandez is doing, I don't know if he's going to bring a great load in return.
    You're absolutely correct. Los Gigantes are notoriously stingy about dealing off their starting pitchers, including those still in their formative stages as prospects. The team is built around its powerhouse rotation, and Sabean can be counted upon to stubbornly cling to his philosophy and strategy of team construction, even if things go a little awry.

But the fact is, things have gone a lot awry for the Giants. Posey and Fontenot are out, leaving C and SS in the hands of AAA players. The team is slipping and the Diamondbacks are only a game and a half back. Even the Giants' ace, The Freak, got filleted by the Reds just the other night. If these trends continue and the Giants start reeling and fall further and further from first, then Sabean's back could be up against the wall. In that case, he might have little choice but to overpay for a veteran catcher to give the team a chance to repeat in the post-season. I submit that Hernandez is arguably the best available veteran C on the market, and also one we might let go, even though we're also a contender, owing to Mesoraco's emergence and promise.

I really don't have any problem letting Hernandez go, either, but the return needs to be solid (Surkamp-style) and it would be ideal if the package also includes Renteria. Would free up some cash for us to fill other needs.

I would do both of those deals (Surkamp and Hellickson). I doubt SF or TB would. I think Hellickson in particular could fetch more "true impact" players if he were put on the market.

As we all know, Heisey and Janish are league average starters at best, below that at worst. Alonso is an unknown, although I do think he'd have value to TB.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    And that whole Spanish-speaking thing...it's WAY overblown. Both Dusty & Bryan speak spanish, and other than Chapman all the Latino pitchers speak English fine anyway.
    Yes, Cueto did a fine job of speaking English in his postgame interview last night.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Wow, I didn't realize how well Surkamp was pitching. Crazy that he is looking like the much better prospect than Brackman who was much higher touted coming out of both the same high school (Moeller) and the same college (NC State). I would love to see Surkamp come to the Reds. We need another Man of Moeller in the system after we cut Satterwhite.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize how well Surkamp was pitching. Crazy that he is looking like the much better prospect than Brackman who was much higher touted coming out of both the same high school (Moeller) and the same college (NC State). I would love to see Surkamp come to the Reds. We need another Man of Moeller in the system after we cut Satterwhite.
    Interesting enough, Yankees GM Brian Cashman said earlier this week that Brackman probably wouldn't get a callup this season. The Yankees gave Brackman an extended look-see in spring training, but he didn't seize the opportunity. And since then, he has collected a 6.92 ERA in the 12 games he has started for the Yankees' AAA farm club at Scranton/Wilkes Barre. Does seem like Surkamp's stock continues to rise, while Brackman has hit a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    The Giants might be planning for Surkamp to take over when Cain, Sanchez and Vogelsang's contracts are up (all after the 2012 season).

Zito and Lincecum are controlled through 2013 season, and Bumgarner goes through 2015.

In short, prying Surkamp away could be unrealistic. They might want every pitching prospect they have in the coming years.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

-The Insider-

I was just thinking. Y'all probably won't like this but here's an idea:

Hernandez and Alonso to Tampa for left-handed pitchers Matt Moore, Kyle Lobstein, and catcher/outfielder/utilityman Stephen Vogt.

When all is said and done I'd rather the Reds hold on to Ryan Hanigan.

Turn Off Ads?