Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Moneyball 2.0

Moneyball 2.0

Some good stuff here, thanks to Bill Simmons' new website

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-new-moneyball

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moneyball 2.0

Call me crazy, but I always thought that Billy Beane is a bit overrated. His teams may produce talent, but are never consistent winners. I can't remember the Athletics being serious contenders. Just not sure why people make such a big deal out of this whole money ball stuff. I want my team to win, not to be a glorified farm team.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Call me crazy, but I always thought that Billy Beane is a bit overrated. His teams may produce talent, but are never consistent winners. I can't remember the Athletics being serious contenders. Just not sure why people make such a big deal out of this whole money ball stuff. I want my team to win, not to be a glorified farm team.
    they were serious contenders for a while in the early 2000s.

In the early part of the decade they were arguably the most talented team in the AL.

Zito in his prime
    Mulder
    Hudson
    Harden

Then
    Giambi
    Tejada
    Chavez

etc, etc...they were a Jeremy Giambi slide away from knocking out the Yankees...ugh

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Beane's listBeane put together a list of twenty players they’d draft in a "perfect world", meaning if money was no object and they didn't have to compete with the other twenty-nine teams.

The list, and the teams who drafted them:

Pitchers
    Jeremy Guthrie - Cleveland, #22 (1st round)
    Joe Blanton - Oakland, #24 (1st round)
    Jeff Francis - Colorado, #9 (1st round)
    Luke Hagerty - Chicago Cubs, #32 (1st round)
    Ben Fritz - Oakland, #30 (1st round)
    Robert Brownlie - Chicago Cubs, #21 (1st round)
    Stephen Obenchain - Oakland, #37 (1st round)
    Bill Murphy - Oakland, #98 (3rd round)
    Hitters
    Nick Swisher - Oakland, #18 (1st round)
    Russ Adams - Toronto, #14 (1st round)
    Khalil Greene - San Diego, #13 (1st round)
    John McCurdy - Oakland, #26 (1st round)
    Mark Teahen - Oakland, #39 (1st round)
    Jeremy Brown - Oakland, #35 (1st round)
    Steve Stanley - Oakland, #67 (2nd round)
    John Baker - Oakland, #128 (4th round)
    Mark Kiger - Oakland, #158 (5th round)
    Brian Stavisky - Oakland, #188 (6th round)
    Shaun Larkin - Cleveland, #274 (9th round)
    Brant Colamarino - Oakland, #218 (7th round)
    How we looking?

I harp on it every month on this website that Defense is under-rated and that there's no better measurable of Defense than what you see in person from a guy. No statistic is going to tell you as much as what you can see by watching a guy "in person", not "on video/tv". But, you have to watch him at least half a dozen times, if not a bit more than that. That Chris Heisey is getting more playing time in Left Field this season, that Paul Janish is getting more playing time at Shortstop this season, and that Jonny Gomes has somehow dramatically improved his Defense this season, are all reasons why this team has been able to withstand their plethora of injuries to their starting rotation. Now, that the rotation has gotten back to being healthy, you can see how the defense is paying off. The team has given up only 25 runs over their last 10 games...an amazing 2.5 runs per game. They had a similar stretch at the beginning of May over about 10 games, too. But, this time it's going to stay. That's why they aren't in such a hurry to remove Paul Janish from the lineup, and to see if he can pick up his bat. Many great shortstops were bad hitters their first 2000 career at-bats, and then became very good hitters after that. Janish's glove is good enough that they can live without his Offense and wait for it to come around....at least until Cozart is ready. It won't hurt anything to leave Cozart down at AAA. It was just last season that he struggled hitting at AAA. No need to rush Zach, when the team has Janish's defense at SS (he is hitting about .280 in June).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-16-2011 at 01:48 AM.

This article talks about the Bullpen, where they said the REDS were a "Top-5" bullpen last year. So far, this season, the REDS have to be a "Bottom-5" bullpen, at least in the National League. And, thus, a lot of their struggles come from it.

Look for Walt's first move to be acquiring a Veteran Reliever to give us back what we lost in Arthur Rhodes. Chapman was supposed to be that guy, but it looks like it's just not going to happen. (It took Chapman 28 pitches to get through one inning Wednesday Night in AA baseball. Chapman's at least a month from being ready, and the REDS can't wait that long. They have to go out and acquire another Left-hander.)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    This article talks about the Bullpen, where they said the REDS were a "Top-5" bullpen last year. So far, this season, the REDS have to be a "Bottom-5" bullpen, at least in the National League. And, thus, a lot of their struggles come from it.

Look for Walt's first move to be acquiring a Veteran Reliever to give us back what we lost in Arthur Rhodes. Chapman was supposed to be that guy, but it looks like it's just not going to happen. (It took Chapman 28 pitches to get through one inning Wednesday Night in AA baseball. Chapman's at least a month from being ready, and the REDS can't wait that long. They have to go out and acquire another Left-hander.)
    I wouldn't mind another reliever (lefty especially) but I don't think our pen has been that bad. Bray, Logan, Coco have all been outstanding, and Masset is plugging along. Not to say these guys aren't overworked, but the last week we have had more solid starting pitching and I think they have had a chance to get rest.

I feel that if we are going to make a trade for pitching it will be SP centric.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    You can only do so much when you have a small payroll like the A's. Theo Epstein runs the same moneyball type concepts with a Big payroll in Boston, and that seems to be working out pretty well.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Turn Off Ads?