Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prospects You Were Wrong About

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Prospects You Were Wrong About

Thread taken from the ORG....thought it would be fun to discuss here.

A name commonly kicked around on their thread is Alex Gordon, and I have to agree. He's been a colossal failure.

Matt Wieters is another. Although he still has time, he's been a huge disappointment.

Wladimir Balentin was also mentioned.....he was once one of the biggest names out there. I really liked what I saw out of him when we brought him up.

Delmon Young is one that really perplexes me. I thought he was a sure-fire superstar.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospects You Were Wrong About

And is it too soon to toss Philip Hughes in this discussion?
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Joba Chamberlin the Yankees messed him up and now hes getting tommy john.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1995 View Post
    Joba Chamberlin the Yankees messed him up and now hes getting tommy john.
    Ah, Joba is a good one. I fear we're doing the same with Aroldis.

A ton of folks on this board loved them some Edwin Encarnacion.

Brien Taylor. My first high school at bat my freshman year was against him his senior year. Still the best pitcher I have ever faced, he struck me on 3 straight pitches-swung at last 2 but never even saw em.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Brien Taylor. My first high school at bat my freshman year was against him his senior year. Still the best pitcher I have ever faced, he struck me on 3 straight pitches-swung at last 2 but never even saw em.
    Can you even imagine him on those Yankees teams starting in the mid-90's? That would have been crazy.

There are so many guys but for me in the last 5 years or so I would say

Hitters:

-Delmon Young - I thought he would be a Gold Glove version of Ryan Braun. he is a decent player, but a far cry from what I thought he would be.

-Alex Gordon - BA Player of the year. Monster numbers at every level. Career .740 OPS guy. Again he is decent but not what I thought he woud be.

-Andy Marte - Was OPSing almost .900 as a 20 year old in AA/AAA. .635 guy career in the bigs.

Pitchers:

-Andrew Miller - Polished college arm with big time stuff. I thought he would be what David Price is.

-Homer Bailey - Let me preface this by saying Homer Bailey was the most excited I was about a Reds draft pick. He was the highest rated high school pitcher, was supposed to be gone before the Reds even picked. I just had visions of a future Josh Beckett dancing in my head. Regardless of the reasons I just picture 2011 me, getting in a time machine and going back to visit 2004 me after the 2004 draft.

2011 Me: In 2011 Homer Bailey will have 19 wins
    2004 Me: Yeah that sounds about right. Cy Young award too I trust?
    2011 Me: No I mean is has 19 wins in his career, not in a season.
    2004 Me: What the Hell!! Are you kidding me! I hate you 2011 version of me!!
    Last edited by krm1580; 06-15-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Brandon Larson

I thought Austin Kearns was the next Paul Molitor with less speed but more power. Just a bit off on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Can you even imagine him on those Yankees teams starting in the mid-90's? That would have been crazy.
    Man, no kidding bad break-literally-for him.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
    I thought Austin Kearns was the next Paul Molitor with less speed but more power. Just a bit off on that one.
    For the Reds Kearns and a pitcher-cant recall who now-were my first 2 thoughts for this thread.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Jimmy Haynes and Willy Mo Pena. I really thought they were going to suck.

D'oh! Oh yeah, they did.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

The Reds had a pitcher for a brief time in the 90s I thought was going to be something named Johnny Ruffin who I thought was going to be nasty. I guess you could call him "nasty" since he's a registered sex offender.

I thought Ryan Wagner would amount to more than what he did too. But the Reds fell into the trap of drafting a reliever way too high.

scott williamson

Turn Off Ads?