Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds @ Dodgers 6-15

Re: Reds @ Dodgers 6-15

Wood didn't have close to his best stuff and still managed to only give up a run. Gutty effort.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    As you get older, you'll understand how Starters have to learn how to pitch in situations, too. I know it's hard for someone only 14 years old to understand this, but you will as you get older.
    So risk blowing the kids arm out, or allowing the Dodgers back into the game just to "teach him a lesson"? Sorry but that is NOT how a good manager manages..

Like I said, 114 pitches is fine.
    Not according to most logical data that baseball uses today...but hey who needs logical data...

Its not going to blow his arm out. Thats actually how you stretch arms out. Ask Bronson or maybe that nobody Nolan Ryan.

While Wood battled, this is not a good number to see next to any starting pitcher...114-64

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner44 View Post
    Its not going to blow his arm out. Thats actually how you stretch arms out. Ask Bronson or maybe that nobody Nolan Ryan.
    "Stretch arms out"? Really?

Do you want him to sit on a 100 pitch count forever? Or would you rather have him be able to go deeper into games, cause thats how it happens.

The glass is 1/3 full....

I believe brooms are in order, Gents.

We should hang on for the win.
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    "Stretch arms out"? Really?
    It's not an entirely invalid argument. Or at least, it's not any worse than thinking one outing of 114 pitches is going to blow Wood's arm out.

I'm not saying that to be mean or overly critical. In fact, a lot of people fall into the camp of "that's too many pitches".

But to Nolan Ryan, who was mentioned, it's not. I don't think that today's better conditioned athletes all of a sudden need to be coddled just because they went up over 100 pitches. Guys like Ryan and many others before him pitched during a time where you didn't start thinking about taking a guy out because he was over 100 pitches.

At the same time, I think because that "coddling" has gone on that even though the athletes might be in better shape than they were during Nolan Ryan's day, it's best not to push it. Some of them are used to to not throwing much more than 100 pitches, best to leave it that way if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner44 View Post
    Do you want him to sit on a 100 pitch count forever? Or would you rather have him be able to go deeper into games, cause thats how it happens.
    no I want him to reduce his walk rate and become more pitch effecient. I don't want to see our starting pitchers throwing over 100+ pitches per outing, I would like to see them keep it between say 85-95 per outing.

Not according to most logical data that baseball uses today...but hey who needs logical data...
    I know it's hard to admit, but Dusty Baker does know more about it than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    It's not an entirely invalid argument. Or at least, it's not any worse than thinking one outing of 114 pitches is going to blow Wood's arm out.

I'm not saying that to be mean or overly critical. In fact, a lot of people fall into the camp of "that's too many pitches".

But to Nolan Ryan, who was mentioned, it's not. I don't think that today's better conditioned athletes all of a sudden need to be coddled just because they went up over 100 pitches. Guys like Ryan and many others before him pitched during a time where you didn't start thinking about taking a guy out because he was over 100 pitches.

At the same time, I think because that "coddling" has gone on that even though the athletes might be in better shape than they were during Nolan Ryan's day, it's best not to push it. Some of them are used to to not throwing much more than 100 pitches, best to leave it that way if you can.
    Sorry but Nolan was either:

A) A freak of nature
    B) or on something

The glass is 1/3 full....

Is Heisey going to get the "Golden Sombrero"?
    A Platinum Sombrero is probable with him at this point. Just needs enough time.
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

I don't want to see our starting pitchers throwing over 100+ pitches per outing, I would like to see them keep it between say 85-95 per outing.
    That's never going to happen, and it's not prudent.

I know it's hard to admit, but Dusty Baker does know more about it than you do.
    Again I would disagree and so would the numbers. Dusty has a history or doing damage to pitchers, over throwing them and not knowing when to pull them. There are very few worse managers in baseball right now when it comes to handling a pitching staff then Dusty.

Turn Off Ads?