Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds @ Dodgers 6-15

Re: Reds @ Dodgers 6-15

I totally agree Crimson, always nice to sweep the Dodgers, or so my dad tells me lol.

Redeye I think your right on both parts, thanks for the better summory of my rather brief opinion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCrusader View Post
    I believe brooms are in order, Gents.

We should hang on for the win.
    I'm hoping that this road trip lights a fire under these guys to where they can play at least .550 baseball the rest of the way. That would put them around 88 wins. Whether this team can do that and whether that's good enough to make the post season remains to be seen.

Regardless, for a team that was hovering around .500 and playing "win one lose one" baseball, and a team that's struggled on the road and traditionally struggled on the West Coast, a 5-2 trip is big. It could have and should have been better than that. The good news is you look at it and say you were in a position to have a 7-0 road trip, and that every game on the trip was a winnable one.

That's big.

The glass is 1/3 full....

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner44 View Post
    I totally agree Crimson, always nice to sweep the Dodgers, or so my dad tells me lol.

Redeye I think your right on both parts, thanks for the better summory of my rather brief opinion.
    Always nice to sweep anyone, Gunner...but yes...the Dodgers are a bonus...ON a WC trip. Lovely. Thanks
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Again I would disagree and so would the numbers. Dusty has a history or doing damage to pitchers, over throwing them and not knowing when to pull them. There are very few worse managers in baseball right now when it comes to handling a pitching staff then Dusty.
    That's just it. He has a "history". He's not like that anymore. I can see that he's changed. He changed last year. He's very aware of pitch count. He's also very aware of what type of pitches a guy has been throwing "on that particular day" and over the course of the last few outings, and the last weeks and the last few months.

By making Wood go out there and pitch that sixth inning, Wood becomes a better pitcher in the long run. He learns how to pitch effectively when he's tired. He learns that he needs to be more efficient during every inning, including the first three innings, because he's "needed" to go out there and pitch as deeply into the game as he can so that the Relievers are as fresh as possible.

Relievers are Releivers for a reason. They aren't good enough to be Starters. They don't have as many "effective" pitches to be a Starter. Therefore, they need to pitch to fewer hitters during a game/series/month/season in order to be effective. The fewer innings your Relievers pitch, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's never going to happen, and it's not prudent.
    With Dusty in control you are correct and how is it not 'prudent'?

No problem Gunner, glad to have another Reds fan around.

Generally it's better to at least try to get 6 innings out of your starter than 5 anyway. That rests your bullpen more. If need be, give Wood a little more of a break in his next start, or ideally he'll just be more efficient with his pitches and make it easy for everybody involved.

That's just it. He has a "history". He's not like that anymore. I can see that he's changed. He changed last year. He's very aware of pitch count. He's also very aware of what type of pitches a guy has been throwing "on that particular day" and over the course of the last few outings, and the last weeks and the last few months.

If he is so aware why in heck did he pick EV to start game 1 of the playoffs and then pick him to start the season when it was clear he wasn't the best pitcher on this staff.

By making Wood go out there and pitch that sixth inning, Wood becomes a better pitcher in the long run. He learns how to pitch effectively when he's tired. He learns that he needs to be more efficient during every inning, including the first three innings, because he's "needed" to go out there and pitch as deeply into the game as he can so that the Relievers are as fresh as possible.

You don't want your pitcher pitching tired, that is when they make mistakes and cost you games. Again you have a bullpen for a reason.

Relievers are Releivers for a reason. They aren't good enough to be Starters. They don't have as many "effective" pitches to be a Starter. Therefore, they need to pitch to fewer hitters during a game/series/month/season in order to be effective. The fewer innings your Relievers pitch, the better.

you have relievers because you need the pitchers. You use them when your starter can't go anymore. This is not rocket science...

With Dusty in control you are correct and how is it not 'prudent'?
    Because the modern athlete can pitch effectively into the 100-teens, without long-term damage being done, such as tendinitis in the arm or shoulder, provided, of course, that pitcher was built up using the 30-rule from year-to-year, and brought up on a scale for pitching, such as Homer Bailey, where he was limited to 60 pitches in his last start, while he's rehabbing.

While Starting pitchers begin to be less effective "on average" at the number you're talking about, it's not true of "all" Starting pitchers. Dusty is of the belief, and I am, too, that a Starting Pitcher can learn to be effective at pitches 90-120, by being smarter than the hitter, and raising their level of concentration.

"Feel" is much more important than any stat anyone can come up with. Baker knows what he's doing, and is going to lead this team to their second straight Central Division Title. Last year, they won the Division, in spite of Baker. This year, they're going to win the Division because of Baker, and he should win Manager-of-the-Year.

Who was the obvious choice to start opening day then?

Cueto was on the DL.
    Homer was on the DL.
    Bronson had mono.

Are you saying that before this season it was painfully obvious that Leake or Wood was better than Volquez? Come on now.

Also, wow Gomes is seriously flashing some leather today lol

Sorry but Nolan was either:

A) A freak of nature
    B) or on something
    It wasn't just Nolan is the point. It was a lot of pitchers.

Look at how many complete games starters logged in and before Nolan's day compared to today.

If you think they were 85-95 pitches in all of those then I'm sure you're dead wrong.

Nolan was a freak of nature due to his longevity and his ability to still over 90 mph after his 40th birthday. But he wasn't alone in not being on a pitch count.

So, what's going on in the game? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    So, what's going on in the game? :-)
    Gomes working on some plays for his Gold Glove highlight video

You know, for all the flack he gets, I'd love to see Gomes stay with the Reds and get a World Series ring.

Not as a starter getting 500 plus at bats mind you. But I mean you have to appreciate and root for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Who was the obvious choice to start opening day then?

Cueto was on the DL.
    Homer was on the DL.
    Bronson had mono.

Are you saying that before this season it was painfully obvious that Leake or Wood was better than Volquez? Come on now.

Also, wow Gomes is seriously flashing some leather today lol
    It was painfully obvious that Bronson should have been the Opening Day Starter. But, there's a lot that went into that decision, and not everything had to do with "who's the best pitcher". Some of it had to do with Volquez turning down the REDS' multi-year offer. He said he wanted to prove that he was worth more than they were offering him. Baker said, "OK. Prove it!". By doing so, Baker had everything to gain and nothing to lose. If Volquez did great, which most of us, including Baker, knew that his chances were slim of doing so, then we have ourselves an ACE and it's established early. If Volquez did as we thought he'd do, and he did, which was pitch poorly, then his numbers at the end of the season would not reflect any more of an increase in the amount offered to him for a multiple-year contract than what the REDS already offered him. And, there'd be plenty of time to still win the Division if he faltered, as our strength going into the season was Starting pitching. That LeCure went down to injury was unfortunate, as he was pitching better than anyone. Bronson being diagnosed with mono right at the beginning of the season was also unfortunate (the rotations were already set). Then Bailey getting injured was also unfortunate. It took Cueto longer than they said it would for him to get healthy (but most of us knew otherwise), and Cueto is now a legitimate ACE....if he can stay healthy. Baker's kept his number of pitches in check from game to game coming off an injury, but now Baker's got this rotation in a groove. Over it's last 10 games, the Starters are 7-1 with an ERA under 1.80.

Because the modern athlete can pitch effectively into the 100-teens, without long-term damage being done, such as tendinitis in the arm or shoulder, provided, of course, that pitcher was built up using the 30-rule from year-to-year, and brought up on a scale for pitching, such as Homer Bailey, where he was limited to 60 pitches in his last start, while he's rehabbing.

Again stats say differently. Look at all the pitchers who are having to be shut down and have major arm issues. The pitching motion of baseball players is not healthy for the arm. There is no reason to add on wear and tear on the body when you don't have to.

Last year, they won the Division, in spite of Baker. This year, they're going to win the Division because of Baker, and he should win Manager-of-the-Year.

Dusty has already cost this team games and shown he has no ability to manage when it's needed.

Turn Off Ads?