Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vin Scully - sublime

Vin Scully - sublime

Vin Scully has to be as good at his craft as any American ever has been at his or her chosen profession. What an absolute master.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Vin Scully - sublime

The other evening he referenced Alice in Chains.

Cracked me up

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I'm still gonna take Ernie Harwell as my favorite voice of baseball...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm still gonna take Ernie Harwell as my favorite voice of baseball...
    Hands down, the voice of my childhood

Harwell and Scully -- true baseball greats. Telling it like it is is telling what happens.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I posted this in the gamethread this a.m.

Didn't get to post last night, but I watched a few innings on MLB Network before falling asleep. It's a joy listening to Vin Scully. It seems like he knows more about each Red than even the Reds broadcasters. He spins baseball stories with ease while balancing the action in the game. Just amazing.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

And he goes back with the Dodgers to when they were still in Brooklyn! Sixty years with one team. Amazing.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Harwell and Scully -- true baseball greats. Telling it like it is is telling what happens.
    You couldn't go wrong with either of these two. I didn't get to listen to Harwell very much. Only when WJR would come in clearly on summer nights back in my youth. Which didn't happen too often. I have had the chance to listen to Scully a lot since I now can get the MLBEI package. He's a true treasure to listen to. He tells great stories to go along with the game. The stories he tells fits the game and seems to never to try to squeeze a story just for the sake of telling it either. He came close to retiring after last season. So this one may be it for him. Watch and listen to him every chance you get because no one will come this way again that will be quite like him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I posted this in the gamethread this a.m.
    Vin has always been one of the top researchers among announcers. It's something he loves to do and takes great pride in. I would imagine he uses his staff for some of it these days.

One of the great pleasures of watching a Dodger game in LA on TV is that in-between the 5th and 6th inning, Vin always spins some tale of lore from Dodger history.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

I love that he never talks about ANYTHING but the game. I am not tuning in to hear about the announcers tomato plants, cronies, or golf game.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I quite enjoyed how he not only talked about BASEBALL during the game but actually was informative & knowledgable.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I love that he never talks about ANYTHING but the game. I am not tuning in to hear about the announcers tomato plants, cronies, or golf game.
    It's interesting that some folks have their fondest memories of Marty and Joe talking about tomato plants, Elvis, etc. Just a different style I suppose, I love them both...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    It's interesting that some folks have their fondest memories of Marty and Joe talking about tomato plants, Elvis, etc. Just a different style I suppose, I love them both...
    My fondest memories involve Marty making the calls with Joe screaming in the background.

I could care less about the rest of the stuff 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Amen, I'm right there with you. That's my biggest problem with games called by Thom and Brantley -- their discussions are 70% baseball, 30% Cowboy's eating habits.

Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still.

Funny, I was in the car when today's game started. I used to LOVE Marty and Joe. Heck, I even named my son after Joe. Marty has REALLY gotten negative. It's really telling. I had a hard time listening to him on my way in. I'll turn the Dodgers on at night, just to listen to Scully.

Turn Off Ads?