Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Wood go down when Homer returns?

Should Wood go down when Homer returns?

Homer probably does not have more then 1 or 2 rehab starts left until the Reds bring him back. While it is possible to bring a reliever down to make room, I think Travis Wood could use some time in the minors to get back to the way he was last season. Cueto has been lights out, Arroyo is not going anywhere, Volquez seems to have put it together, and Leake has been excellent since his return. None of those guys or Bailey deserve to be put in the bullpen or sent down (unless Volquez starts to struggle again), so right now Wood seems like the best option to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should Wood go down when Homer returns?

Yes, Wood should go down. He needs work.
    Go BLUE!!!

Wood is the odd man out this time around the merry-go-round. Can't send leake the way he is pitching.

It depends on Volquez. He pitched better against the Cubs and Giants, but I'd still like to see the consistency and doing it against better offenses before I'll be convinced he's going to be in any better shape. I still trust Wood slightly more than Volquez at this point in time, but I also agree Wood could probably benefit from some confidence work.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It depends on Volquez. He pitched better against the Cubs and Giants, but I'd still like to see the consistency and doing it against better offenses before I'll be convinced he's going to be in any better shape. I still trust Wood slightly more than Volquez at this point in time, but I also agree Wood could probably benefit from some confidence work.
    The Cubs walk less than anyone in the majors, and the Giants aren't much better, coming in at 24th overall. Volquez certainly deserves credit for pitching well, but it did come at the expense of two of the most impatient teams in all of baseball, which helps minimize Volquez's biggest weakness as a pitcher (his control, obviously). Not sure if he'd have the same success against a patient team, like the Cardinals, owners of a 9.3% BB%. Hopefully, though, those two games are just the beginning of a great rest-of-the-year for Volquez.

I think Wood's the odd man out right now, though. Maybe that changes over the next week or so, but it certainly appears that way right now.

I thought the Reds needed starting pitching? Who should go down when the Reds trade for Livan Hernandez?
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by signalhome View Post
    The Cubs walk less than anyone in the majors, and the Giants aren't much better, coming in at 24th overall. Volquez certainly deserves credit for pitching well, but it did come at the expense of two of the most impatient teams in all of baseball, which helps minimize Volquez's biggest weakness as a pitcher (his control, obviously). Not sure if he'd have the same success against a patient team, like the Cardinals, owners of a 9.3% BB%. Hopefully, though, those two games are just the beginning of a great rest-of-the-year for Volquez.

I think Wood's the odd man out right now, though. Maybe that changes over the next week or so, but it certainly appears that way right now.
    Great stats/insight. Thanks!
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I'd send Volquez down, but that's just me.

I like Wood. He may be my favorite Red. I thought that after last season he would be the Reds best starter coming into this year. Wood just seems a little off this season and I don't know exactly what it is. I do think its tough to face the same club twice in the span of two weeks, especially when he was roughed up the first time he faced them. I think that some time in AAA may help him focus more on throwing strikes and getting back to what made him successful.

As for Volquez my feelings are pretty much clear cut. I am not big fan of him and am not back on the bandwagon after two decent starts against the Cubs and anemic Giants. I agree with Brutus in that I have more faith in Wood than Volquez, but Wood sure isn't making it easy.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I'd rather see Homer than anyone aside from Cueto at this point.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

I posted this in the gamethread, but it's worth bringing up here.

At what point does the Reds coaching staff bear some responsibility for these pitchers not being able to find the zone.

The Reds are sending guys to the minors (Volquez, Leake, Chapman) to work things out with the minor league coaches. If Wood goes that's 3/5 of the rotation and a key member of the bullpen that aren't getting the coaching assistance that they need with the big club.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I posted this in the gamethread, but it's worth bringing up here.

At what point does the Reds coaching staff bear some responsibility for these pitchers not being able to find the zone.

The Reds are sending guys to the minors (Volquez, Leake, Chapman) to work things out with the minor league coaches. If Wood goes that's 3/5 of the rotation and a key member of the bullpen that aren't getting the coaching assistance that they need with the big club.
    I don't think its quite as much they're sending them down to "work with the minor league coaches" as they're sending them down to work thru their issues "where the results don't ultimately matter"

Its not a matter of Price not being effective, rather that they want them to work in ball games where if they get beat up thru 3 innings, they send them back out there for the 4th to continue their work. They can't do that in the majors.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Send Wood down but have a close eye on Volquez.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Wood is the odd man out right now. Volquez is still on thin ice though. Leake has earned his way back.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Wood is the odd man out right now. Volquez is still on thin ice though. Leake has earned his way back.
    Yep. This.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?