Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bailey, Cueto, Wood arrived, now what?

Re: Bailey, Cueto, Wood arrived, now what?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I think its a bit much to expect "star" prospects at every level, every season. Under normal circumstances, or at least expectations at the time of the draft, Mike Leake would be in AA, maybe AAA and we'd be talking about a future young pitching star, along w/ Boxberger from that same draft class. We'd look at Grandal in the same breath and say that the talent wasn't so spread out. Truth is, the Reds "shouldn't" need a ton of high impact prospects beyond what's in AAA over the next couple of seasons. Bruce, Stubbs, Cozart, Leake, Bailey, Chapmann, Mes, Yonder, Sappelt, Heisey, etc.. are all young and all have a chance to have high impacts on the big league club for relatively low costs. Further more, you've got guys like votto & Cueto locked up until the time you should start seeing some of the low A guys start to make their push towards the big league club.
    You can never have enough pitching. Maybe there's less high profile starters, or perhaps I'm just a little out of the loop on the minors. But when I'm not hearing anything about an arm even as a somewhat passive observer, it causes me to look into it, and unfortunately, I see some alarming holes that reduce our margin of error or force us to seek expensive options. The more alarming thing to me is that we've really only dealt one arm (Stewart), so we're just looking at a bunch of non-performing minor leaguers from the last 2 or 3 drafts.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You can never have enough pitching. Maybe there's less high profile starters, or perhaps I'm just a little out of the loop on the minors. But when I'm not hearing anything about an arm even as a somewhat passive observer, it causes me to look into it, and unfortunately, I see some alarming holes that reduce our margin of error or force us to seek expensive options. The more alarming thing to me is that we've really only dealt one arm (Stewart), so we're just looking at a bunch of non-performing minor leaguers from the last 2 or 3 drafts.
    Remember you are looking at (considered) one of the better farm systems in baseball
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Remember you are looking at (considered) one of the better farm systems in baseball
    We do have some very nice top shelf offensive products on simmer, and very young guys are playing key roles in the majors, and those are draft and develop guys like Cueto, Bailey, Ondrusek, Heisey, Leake, Bruce, Stubbs, Janish, and Hanigan. So I think we have a producing farm system that still has some help coming soon.

I just am a little worried about rotation replacements for Arroyo, maybe Volquez, and some cushion for the young rotation arms that might have hit ceiling in the next two years. That is what triggered the research, and the research triggered the concern.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    We do have some very nice top shelf offensive products on simmer, and very young guys are playing key roles in the majors, and those are draft and develop guys like Cueto, Bailey, Ondrusek, Heisey, Leake, Bruce, Stubbs, Janish, and Hanigan. So I think we have a producing farm system that still has some help coming soon.

I just am a little worried about rotation replacements for Arroyo, maybe Volquez, and some cushion for the young rotation arms that might have hit ceiling in the next two years. That is what triggered the research, and the research triggered the concern.
    Understandable but I will see where we sit after this season plays out as far as some of the younger guys go before I get worried. You never know when some kid in A ball is going to make a big leap.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?