Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when Bailey' s back-- who's out?

when Bailey' s back-- who's out?

I say why not give Arroyo a little time off. He could rest, do a little strength work, get over the lingering effects of mono. If all 5 starters are pitching well when Arroyo's ready, they either look to make or trade, or shut Wood down for the season. Wood already has 86 innings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: when Bailey' s back-- who's out?

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    I say why not give Arroyo a little time off. He could rest, do a little strength work, get over the lingering effects of mono. If all 5 starters are pitching well when Arroyo's ready, they either look to make or trade, or shut Wood down for the season. Wood already has 86 innings.
    Travis Wood threw over 200 innings last year and 170 the year before. Why in the world would you have to shut him down?

I wonder what percentage of Major League pitchers would have some tear present on a MRI scan either in the cuff or labrum if all were scanned as a cohort? I tend to worry about Bailey ever being "back" in the true sense for any period of time, say short term a full year or long term 5 years. I hope so, but I would not bet the farm on his endurance.

Bailey to the pen until another starter is needed due to injury or ineffectiveness.

Wood goes to the minors. Then he comes back up in 3 weeks when Bailey goes on the DL again.

Bailey has been the most effective starter this season, next to Cueto. If he proves that he is not able to stay healthy once he returns, then consider sticking him in the pen. Wood was extremely fortunate on this road trip. Giants hit some rockets off of him in SF that would have been homers at GABP and he dodged several bullets yesterday with the defense (Gomes) saving at least a couple of runs. I like Wood alot but he's been quite a wildcard this season.

If Bailey is healthy, he clearly is one of the top five starters. Despite the recent run of good starting pitching, we still have three starters with ERA's well above 5.00.

I think first we need to see if Bailey can return, then if that does occur, unless something happens over the next week or so I think we are looking at Wood being sent to AAA for a while. Now I am okay with that right now because it seems like Wood is struggling right now with control so maybe some work at AAA can address that. Personally I would consider giving Bronson a 2 week break and allow him some rest and such but that will never happen.

Lets Party Like it's 1869

to OP.

Thats easy... Travis Wood

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

6 man rotation

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    Wood goes to the minors. Then he comes back up in 3 weeks when Bailey goes on the DL again.
    most accurate post in the thread

I guess I should infer from the posts here that we are all sold on Volquez. I would love to be wrong on this, but I still think the Reds will have problems as long as he is considered to be the ace. Should he go back to his old 40 pitches in the first inning act, why not bump him out of the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by tobttr View Post
    I guess I should infer from the posts here that we are all sold on Volquez. I would love to be wrong on this, but I still think the Reds will have problems as long as he is considered to be the ace. Should he go back to his old 40 pitches in the first inning act, why not bump him out of the rotation?
    And do what with him? Pay him to be down at AAA until someone gets hurt again? Trade him? I shudder to think about EV coming out of the pen!

I agree with the six man rotation suggestion earlier - gets everyone plenty of rest for the middle of the season, particularly Arroyo. The extra day off might be good for him particularly.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by tobttr View Post
    but I still think the Reds will have problems as long as he is considered to be the ace.
    No one is necessarily considering him an ace.
    Last edited by LexRedsFan; 06-17-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    No one is necessarily considering him an ace.
    ...Besides Dusty Baker.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Once you get past Opening Day starter, there is no real "Ace" anymore, just guys in the rotation. Sure, you can maybe shuffle a guy here and there to play match-up games. But the ace doesn't really come into play again until the playoffs.

By the time the playoffs come around, IF we make it again, I expect it to be pretty clear who we should start in the first 3 games.

Turn Off Ads?