Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

  1. #1
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    I don't know why, but I'm not sure I've ever been so excited for a major. I'm a Tiger fan, but not having him in this tournament is a plus for me, as his game and health just isn't where it needs to be, and if he was there, I think he would be a bit of a distraction from what we're going to see.

    I've followed the PGA Tour closer this year than any other year, and its got to be because of all the young players that I really enjoy following. To name a few, Dustin Johnson (my favorite), Rory McIlroy, Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson, Nick Watney, etc.

    My 3 picks to win this week are DJ, Bubba, and Adam Scott.

    Also, a friend of mine from high school, Chris Wilson from Dublin, OH, is playing this week. he is in the last 3-some today.

    I'm watching live right now on www.usopen.com. Will not be getting much work done today.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,190

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    I'd like to see Dustin win it, also. Never seen a guy hit a 3 iron 280 yds (and straight) at standard altitude. McIlroy I like too. Golf has gotten some exciting new players as Tiger, Phil, Ernie, etc. have aged.

    Although it would be cool if Mickelson could pull another one off for good measure.

  4. #3
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Luke Donald just turned in 40 after starting birdie birdie. I've never seen him hit the ball so bad.

  5. #4
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,028

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Luke Donald just turned in 40 after starting birdie birdie. I've never seen him hit the ball so bad.
    Good thing I saw that, he would have been my pick to win.

    I would like to see any of the young American players win. Johnson, Bubba, Fowler. It also would be a fun weekend to watch a unheralded qualifier make a run. My buddy was asking me who was the last guy to win who had to qualify for the open. I couldn't think of anyone.

  6. #5
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    2nd feature group is Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, and Rory McIlroy.

    Dear employer, I am sorry.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,064

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Good thing I saw that, he would have been my pick to win.

    I would like to see any of the young American players win. Johnson, Bubba, Fowler. It also would be a fun weekend to watch a unheralded qualifier make a run. My buddy was asking me who was the last guy to win who had to qualify for the open. I couldn't think of anyone.
    Actually Lucas Glover won it after having to qualify a few years ago, but he wasn't exactly an unknown amateur.

    That's one of the things I really like is that the standards are pretty high so even a number of tour veterans have to get through a qualifier.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  8. #7
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Dustin Johnson is 4 over through 4 holes.

    Y.E. Yang is the leader at -3. He's done for the day.

  9. #8
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,028

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Actually Lucas Glover won it after having to qualify a few years ago, but he wasn't exactly an unknown amateur.

    That's one of the things I really like is that the standards are pretty high so even a number of tour veterans have to get through a qualifier.
    Their qualification standards are pretty tough. Glover wasn't an unknown but he was hardly a household name. I don't remember but Rocco may have been a qualifier when he went toe to toe with Tiger a few years back.

    The biggest long shot I can remember had to be Steve Jones.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,064

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Their qualification standards are pretty tough. Glover wasn't an unknown but he was hardly a household name. I don't remember but Rocco may have been a qualifier when he went toe to toe with Tiger a few years back.

    The biggest long shot I can remember had to be Steve Jones.
    He was. The other cool thing about the qualifiers is that once the rounds are complete, to break ties they send everyone out on the same hole. So if 9 guys are playing for the final spot, there are 9 guys playing the hole at the same time.

    I seem to remember him telling the story of everyone teeing off, and him saying, "Cmon children!" jokingly as he led the 7 or 8 guys off the tee.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  11. #10
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Rory makes the turn at -3. He played the harder 9 first.

  12. #11
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    I'm puling for Rory. I think he may pull it off this time.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  13. #12
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Rory shoots a 65. I'm calling it. He wins by a minimum of 8. I watched every shot he hit today, and he was absolutely sick. Every ball but one went pretty much right where he wanted it. It could have easily been a 63.

    My boy Chris Wilson shot a 74. Not bad. I'd say he needs a 73 or 72 tomorrow to make the cut.

  14. #13
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,038

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    65 at the U.S. Open, even on Thursday, is not supposed to happen. He hit 17 greens today. 17!

    Rory has the game to be the future world's No 1, no doubt. That much was clear even before he hit a single shot at Augusta this spring. I want to see how he plays over the weekend when the pressure can get to him. If he's matured and learned to managed his expectations over the last few months, it's only a matter of time before we pass the torch. Perhaps it's this weekend?
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-16-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  15. #14
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,028

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Rory shoots a 65. I'm calling it. He wins by a minimum of 8. I watched every shot he hit today, and he was absolutely sick. Every ball but one went pretty much right where he wanted it. It could have easily been a 63.

    My boy Chris Wilson shot a 74. Not bad. I'd say he needs a 73 or 72 tomorrow to make the cut.
    Remember Dustin Johnson at Pebble? It was one shot that did him in. One shot that came up short and created a disaster. The Open can punish you dearly for one bad shot or one unlucky bounce. You need to make sure that one poor shot leads to no worse than a bogey, double depending on how bad the break is. In the Open one bad shot often leads to a 7 or 8 or even worse. You avoid those big numbers, you avoid the doubles and you have a very good shot at winning.

  16. #15
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Remember Dustin Johnson at Pebble? It was one shot that did him in. One shot that came up short and created a disaster. The Open can punish you dearly for one bad shot or one unlucky bounce. You need to make sure that one poor shot leads to no worse than a bogey, double depending on how bad the break is. In the Open one bad shot often leads to a 7 or 8 or even worse. You avoid those big numbers, you avoid the doubles and you have a very good shot at winning.
    I remember it all too well. I was there.

    Rory is -4 through 8 holes, just made an eagle 2 at #8, and has a 7 shot lead. First ever to reach -10 in the 2nd round of an open, and he did it in 26 holes. I may have undersold him saying he would win by 8.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25