Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I remember it all too well. I was there.

Rory is -4 through 8 holes, just made an eagle 2 at #8, and has a 7 shot lead. First ever to reach -10 in the 2nd round of an open, and he did it in 26 holes. I may have undersold him saying he would win by 8.
    Yikes. The rate he's going he may break Tiger's Open record.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rory McIlroy is a bigger threat to Nicklaus's major record than Tiger Woods is.

I just said that.

I just said that.
    As long as he can seal the deal on Sunday. I hope the Masters was the exception for him. The psychology of winning, particularly in golf, can be a slippery slope. But right now he looks like the real deal for a long, long time to come.

But this does really put a stamp on what Nicklaus accomplished. It's an amazing mark that he set.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I just said that.
    He's gotta win one before even thinking about that.

Birdie at 14. -11 for the tournament, and an 8 shot lead.

Birdie at 14. -11 for the tournament, and an 8 shot lead.

With the lack of Tiger this year and McIlroy seemingly running away from the field, NBC (is it NBC?) has to be praying either he collapses or someone makes a run at him. The casual fan is not going to watch McIlroy run away with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    With the lack of Tiger this year and McIlroy seemingly running away from the field, NBC (is it NBC?) has to be praying either he collapses or someone makes a run at him. The casual fan is not going to watch McIlroy run away with this.
    I disagree. His collapse at Augusta, and the way he handles it has added to Rory's "star power" if you will, and we're watching the birth of a super star. The fact that he's not American will hurt a bit, but we're witnessing history. Golfer's just don't do this at this age, unless your name is Tiger.

-13 with one hole remaining. 10 shot lead. First player to ever reach -13 in a US Open, and Tiger's 15 shot victory record is in jeopardy.

I disagree. His collapse at Augusta, and the way he handles it has added to Rory's "star power" if you will, and we're watching the birth of a super star. The fact that he's not American will hurt a bit, but we're witnessing history. Golfer's just don't do this at this age, unless your name is Tiger.
    I don't disagree but people are going to watch on Sunday for two reasons: 1. Tiger is playing and perhaps in contention. 2. Some kind of battle for the championship. You and I may watch McIlroy destroy the competition but Joe Schmoe is going to turn the channel.

What's the deal with Rick Reilly rooting for Rory to collapse?
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    What's the deal with Rick Reilly rooting for Rory to collapse?
    What's a little different here is that his typical hook miss showed up on the last hole of the second round. Reilly seems to think (hope maybe?) it will spook him, but I think that it's pretty fortunate for him to have had those two horrible shots at the end of Friday. He can analyze where he was going wrong, hit some balls on the range and work his way towards a solution, as opposed to facing things when the shots count. He has a pretty big cushion to work with and I'm hoping he gets right by today and continues to motor to a record round. When he's on, his swing is a joy to watch.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I like McIlroy a lot. I love his attitude, personality, and his golf game. I guess the only thing I don't like about him is his hair...lol.

He's far and away the most talented golfer in the world right now. He's that good. His swing is simply amazing. It's beautiful to watch and technically perfect. I'm infatuated with it. In all my years watching golf swings, his is the best I've seen and definitely my favorite. Every time I watch him hit a tee shot, I go wow.

I'm really pulling for him to win today and I hope it's a blowout. Golf needs a buzz and McIlroy can provide that.

As far as Jack's major record, McIlroy needs to win the first one before we can talk about 18. I don't think McIlroy will come close to Jack's record. I do see him being the #1 player in the world in the near future, but I'd be surprised if he reached double-digit majors for his career. What Jack and Tiger did was simply amazing. Tiger, IMO, has a much better chance at breaking Jack's record than McIlroy does. As we've seen with Tiger, a lot can happen over a player's career that can derail it. One of these days, McIlroy will struggle with something and will have some scar damage to deal with. It happens to every player. Right now, he's just a kid having fun playing golf, which is great. I hope he stays that way for a long time.

Good luck today Rory! I'll be watching.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

His swing was not very pretty on Sunday at the Masters. Even to my relatively untrained eye, it looked like a quick hack compared to his normal smooth swing. When he's on, he makes it look like anyone could do it, though. Towards the end of the round yesterday (17?) he knocked one 40 yards ahead of Yang. The swing was certainly hard, but seemed practically effortless.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Redhook, the one thing I disagree with is that I do think he'll win double digit majors. I think the floodgates are wide open. It's sick to think about him in the last 4 majors. He could have won last year's British, darn near landed in the playoff at the PGA. Was 9 holes away from the Masters and now dominated the US Open. He just turned 22. I think he'll be one of the all time greats. He's THAT good.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Rory shoots a 65. I'm calling it. He wins by a minimum of 8. I watched every shot he hit today, and he was absolutely sick. Every ball but one went pretty much right where he wanted it. It could have easily been a 63.

My boy Chris Wilson shot a 74. Not bad. I'd say he needs a 73 or 72 tomorrow to make the cut.

Turn Off Ads?