Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

  1. #31
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Redhook, the one thing I disagree with is that I do think he'll win double digit majors. I think the floodgates are wide open. It's sick to think about him in the last 4 majors. He could have won last year's British, darn near landed in the playoff at the PGA. Was 9 holes away from the Masters and now dominated the US Open. He just turned 22. I think he'll be one of the all time greats. He's THAT good.
    I agree the floodgates are open and he'll be one of the greats. He certainly has the talent to win 10+ majors and I hope he does it. I think he can, but I doubt he will. I'm simply basing this off the odds. Only 3 men in the history of golf have won 10+ majors. Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, Tom Watson, and Gary Player didn't reach 10 majors. It's so difficult to win them. So many things can happen to derail a guy from getting there.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    What in the world happened to the American Golfer? The guy to finish the best was a no name qualifier. For all the talk about the young guns, its been the young European guns who are destroying the competition.

    Rory ran away with the tournament. But some of the scores below him were pretty damn impressive. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place scores would win most opens yet they lost by 10+ strokes.

    You think the USGA is going to have a chip on their shoulder next year? I think the winner is lucky to break par next year.

  4. #33
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What in the world happened to the American Golfer? The guy to finish the best was a no name qualifier.
    With a Tiger Woods USA Kids Golf putter.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  5. #34
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,543

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Ratings were down from last year.

    http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011...last-year.html
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  6. #35
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    ratings, schmatings..... who cares!!!!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  7. #36
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,543

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    ratings, schmatings..... who cares!!!!
    NBC, the USGA, the advertisers.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  8. #37
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,859

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    NBC, the USGA, the advertisers.
    But unless the ratings decline to the point where golf isn't televised anymore... not our problem.
    Not all who wander are lost

  9. #38
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,543

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    But unless the ratings decline to the point where golf isn't televised anymore... not our problem.
    Not our problem necessarily but as golf went through a boom era with Tiger at the top of his game, when he's gone, there's a huge difference. If ratings decline, advertisers pay less for commercials and networks pay less to the PGA for TV rights and the purses decrease. If purses decline, guys like McIlroy may decide to stay over in Europe instead of playing on the U.S. tour.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  10. #39
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    I always hear arguments about ratings, advertisers, networks, etc.... and none of that means anything to me. Golf has been around a long time and will continue to be even if ratings aren't as high as they once were. It doesn't add or detract from my enjoyment of the sport in the least. The difference is on the fringes and it just doesn't mean anything. Nothing is different as a fan of the sport with higher or lower ratings.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  11. #40
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,355

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I always hear arguments about ratings, advertisers, networks, etc.... and none of that means anything to me. Golf has been around a long time and will continue to be even if ratings aren't as high as they once were. It doesn't add or detract from my enjoyment of the sport in the least. The difference is on the fringes and it just doesn't mean anything. Nothing is different as a fan of the sport with higher or lower ratings.
    Back in the day when NBA ratings stunk, they had the NBA playoffs on tape delay at 11:30 PM instead of live. Which bit the big one.

    So if ratings get bad enough, they can affect the TV fan experience.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  12. #41
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    The legacy of the Tiger era (can't believe I'm talking about it as past tense) is that he brought a lot of people into the game as participants, as well as fans. I don't think anyone other than Arnold Palmer in the '60's did more for golf than Tiger in that regard.

    The King is dead, long live the King.

    Tiger now reminds me of Ali, a flawed hero (in the public eye) who now plays the role of David vs. Goliath, the exact opposite of what we have come to know. He went from the "Chosen One" to Rocky, in one fell swoop of public humiliation and physical injury.

    Superman needs his Kryptonite in order to be relevant.

    He's infinitely more interesting to me now than he was before. I miss seeing him play at the peak of his legendary physical prowess, but I can't wait to see if he can re-invent himself yet again and make it back to the top.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  13. #42
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Redhook, the one thing I disagree with is that I do think he'll win double digit majors. I think the floodgates are wide open. It's sick to think about him in the last 4 majors. He could have won last year's British, darn near landed in the playoff at the PGA. Was 9 holes away from the Masters and now dominated the US Open. He just turned 22. I think he'll be one of the all time greats. He's THAT good.
    I'm curious, what do you and Homer Bailey think about Rory after the last two majors? Do you still think double-digits and passing Jack. My opinion remains the same. He'll be #1 in the near future, next year, and will win about 6 majors.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  14. #43
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I'm curious, what do you and Homer Bailey think about Rory after the last two majors? Do you still think double-digits and passing Jack. My opinion remains the same. He'll be #1 in the near future, next year, and will win about 6 majors.
    For the record, I didn't say that I think he'll pass Jack. I said that he has a better chance of doing it than Tiger Woods does.

    That being said, I may have gotten a little too excited back in June with the statements I made. I do think he will be the number 1 player in the world for a while, and I don't put too much stock into the last two majors. I think he got pretty unlucky with the weather at the British (on either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember), and obviously the wrist was an issue at the PGA.

    That being said, I think the talent pool is wayyyyy deeper in this day and age than when Tiger was winning majors left and right, and I think it will be very difficult for Rory to replicate what Tiger did. The reason I was/am so confident in Rory is not just his win at Congressional, but the fact that he competed significantly for the win in the previous three majors as well. That kind of consistency is bound to lead to more major wins.

  15. #44
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: 2011 U.S. Open @ Congressional

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    For the record, I didn't say that I think he'll pass Jack. I said that he has a better chance of doing it than Tiger Woods does.

    That being said, I may have gotten a little too excited back in June with the statements I made. I do think he will be the number 1 player in the world for a while, and I don't put too much stock into the last two majors. I think he got pretty unlucky with the weather at the British (on either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember), and obviously the wrist was an issue at the PGA.

    That being said, I think the talent pool is wayyyyy deeper in this day and age than when Tiger was winning majors left and right, and I think it will be very difficult for Rory to replicate what Tiger did. The reason I was/am so confident in Rory is not just his win at Congressional, but the fact that he competed significantly for the win in the previous three majors as well. That kind of consistency is bound to lead to more major wins.
    I tend to disagree that the talent pool is wayyyyy deeper now than when Tiger won all his majors. I think it is deeper but not by all that much. I think it speaks to more how good Tiger was. I do think there is more of an European influence on the PGA tour now but those guys were playing in the majors. I don't think the young players fear him as much as people did 5 years ago. I also think the added length for all the tour players is really closing Tiger's gap. He used to hit that Titleist 975D out there 30+ yards further than his opponent. Now with technology all tour players have extra length.

    As for Rory I think he can have a Phil type career. He can be a very good golfer who if he doesn't let his head get in his way could win double digit majors. I think Rory already has two major meltdowns in tournaments that he should have won. He went Tiger in this past US Open blowing the field away. I think once anyone wins the first major it makes the next ones much easier.

    I don't think anyone catches Jack because there are just too many good players in the game today. But I do think Rory has 10 win potential because of age, game, and a picture perfect putting stroke.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25