Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Happy birthday, Dave Concepcion!

Happy birthday, Dave Concepcion!

Everyone's favorite slick-fielding Venezuelan shortstop turns 63 today.

Feliz cumpleanos!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Happy birthday, Dave Concepcion!

Happy birthday, Davey!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Happy birthday to one of the best!

Happy Birthday to someone who should be in the Hall of Fame!

I'm feeling old now. I'm sure Davey was one the youngest,if not the youngest, of the great eight. Now he is 63.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Happy Birthday to someone who should be in the Hall of Fame!

I'm feeling old now. I'm sure Davey was one the youngest,if not the youngest, of the great eight. Now he is 63.
    Third-youngest. George Foster won't be 63 until December, and Ken Griffey just turned 61 in April.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Davey and Pete are my two favorite Reds of all time. Happy B-Day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Third-youngest. George Foster won't be 63 until December, and Ken Griffey just turned 61 in April.
    Thanks. I thought, after I wrote, that Griffey was younger. Seems like he was born in 1950 IIRC from the back of baseball card.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Happy birthday, Dave Concepcion!

I hear you were slightly better with the glove than Paul Janish!!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

From 1970, a Venezuelan Topps pre-rookie card

From 1971 (this was the first of his 2 "Janish-type" years, before he gained weight and could drive the ball)

There are lot's of great pictures of the slickest fielding SS in Reds history here, at Davey's own website: http://daveconcepcion.com/mycollection.php

I had never seen that first card of Cancepcion. Thanks for sharing that!
    Concepcion actually was a poorer hitter than Janish when he first came up. Without looking it up I doubt he hit better than .230 until the 1973 season. He kinda turned it on that season before breaking his ankle before the all star break. I'm hoping the same thing will happen with Janish because he's a fine defensive player.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I had never seen that first card of Cancepcion. Thanks for sharing that!
    Concepcion actually was a poorer hitter than Janish when he first came up. Without looking it up I doubt he hit better than .230 until the 1973 season. He kinda turned it on that season before breaking his ankle before the all star break. I'm hoping the same thing will happen with Janish because he's a fine defensive player.
    You're right- David had a decent enough rookie year, and then hit under .210 with no power in '71 and '72, losing his job in the process, to either Chaney or even Woody Woodward, I forget which. 1973 was his breakout year, he made the All Star team, and never looked back. When he broke the ankle (sliding, I believe) we all wondered if he would return with his "new" bat or his '71-72 bat. Thankfully, he kept hitting, really until 1983, when he was miscast as a #3 hitter on a woeful team.

Concepcion was a lot younger than Janish during those 2 years when he couldn't adjust to MLB pitching. I also hope that Paul Janish can turn it on with the bat, it would solve a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    You're right- David had a decent enough rookie year, and then hit under .210 with no power in '71 and '72, losing his job in the process, to either Chaney or even Woody Woodward, I forget which. 1973 was his breakout year, he made the All Star team, and never looked back. When he broke the ankle (sliding, I believe) we all wondered if he would return with his "new" bat or his '71-72 bat. Thankfully, he kept hitting, really until 1983, when he was miscast as a #3 hitter on a woeful team.

Concepcion was a lot younger than Janish during those 2 years when he couldn't adjust to MLB pitching. I also hope that Paul Janish can turn it on with the bat, it would solve a lot of problems.
    He lost his job to both Woodward and Chaney. Woody in 1971 and Chaney in 1972,IIRC.
    He did break his ankle sliding into third base on the Sunday before the all star break. I always wondered if would have made any difference in the playoffs that season against the Mets.
    I think it was Sparky who compared Davey to a young colt who was trying to get his legs under him in his first years with the Reds. I thought it was a great description of him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Happy Birthday Davey! What a joy you were to watch at short. Smooth as silk. My all-time favorite Red (no, all-time favorite baseball player...period).

Turn Off Ads?