Turn Off Ads?

Thread: JJ Hardy?

Old Red Guard Reject

JJ Hardy?

With all the talk of Jose Reyes being a potential trade target, I think a guy like Hardy is overlooked. He plays for Baltimore which is just about done in the competitive AL east, is a free agent after the season and has above .700 ops four of the last five seasons with two including this one, above .800 and plays an adequate SS. Unlike other teams, the Reds do match up favorably with their trade chips of Alonzo, et al with holes the Os need to fill. Furthermore, an extension with Hardy would not be a bad situation with JJ potentially moving over to third after Rolen is done. Thoughts?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: JJ Hardy?

I'll pass. Not because it is a bad option, but I just think we have a very similar/cheaper option in Zach Cozart.

Old Red Guard Reject

Zack Cozart might be cheaper, but I don't know about similar just yet. If you compare Zack's minor league numbers and JJ's ML number they're similar, but just for comparison, when JJ was Zack's age he was coming off an All Star season and had played 300 MLB games already. With the Reds rumored to be interested in Jeremy Guthrie, a package deal with Bailtimore would look pretty nice.

lol Guthrie I sure hope not. We don't need another #3 or 4 pitcher. We already have four of them. As for Hardy I would rather take my chances with Janish and Cozart, w the majority of time going to Zach.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    lol Guthrie I sure hope not. We don't need another #3 or 4 pitcher. We already have four of them. As for Hardy I would rather take my chances with Janish and Cozart, w the majority of time going to Zach.
    I'd rather stay away from Guthrie too, but that rumor came from CBS Sports today (and a thread on ORG).

Both Walt and Dusty have already said they are happy with what we have at SS, there will be no move made this season.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Both Walt and Dusty have already said they are happy with what we have at SS, there will be no move made this season.
    What are they going to say publicly? I think Hardy would be a good fit here.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    What are they going to say publicly? I think Hardy would be a good fit here.
    Well I would hope they would say...

We are always looking at upgrading at positions where we need to...

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd rather see what Cozart can do before we trade for one of these other guys.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'd rather see what Cozart can do before we trade for one of these other guys.
    I would like to Cozart first too, but if he doesn't take the world by storm, I'm thinking Hardy could be had relatively cheap.

I think most are selling Guthrie short... he's on pace to be a 4+ War pitcher for his 4th out of his last 5 years, that's more than our entire staff.

I wouldn't give up that much for hardy.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    I think most are selling Guthrie short... he's on pace to be a 4+ War pitcher for his 4th out of his last 5 years, that's more than our entire staff.

I wouldn't give up that much for hardy.
    My only concern with Guthrie is that he gives up his share of HRs. Other than that, it would be odd to actually see a pitcher who doesn't walk batters that often lol.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    My only concern with Guthrie is that he gives up his share of HRs. Other than that, it would be odd to actually see a pitcher who doesn't walk batters that often lol.
    Guthrie has pitched over 200 innings each of the past 2 seasons. He turned 31 in April. He has 8 quality starts in 16 starts this season, and he went 5 innings in another start yielding no runs and only 1 hit (not sure why he was yanked). He's gone 6 or more innings in 11 of his 18 starts.

By comparison, Volquez has gone 6+ innings in 5 of his 15 starts. He has 4 quality starts in 15 attempts.

Oddly, Travis Wood has 7 quality starts in his last 10 attempts. Going 6+ innings in all but 2 starts.

Leake has 9 quality starts in 15 attempts. Going 6+ innings in 10 of them.

Cueto has 9 quality starts in 10 attempts. Going 6+ innings in 9 of them, and going 5 innings giving up 3 runs in the lone non-quality start.

Bailey has 4 quality starts in 5 attempts and got yanked in his last start which sent him to the disabled list.

Arroyo has 9 quality starts in 16 attempts. Going 6+ innings in 13 of them. Innings eater.

Guthrie is making $5.75M this season and is up for arbitration next season. I don't see where he is better than any starter we already have except for Volquez. Reds management won't take on additional payroll and won't want to pay him next season. But if Baltimore were willing to take on Volquez and pick up a decent prospect, Reds might take Guthrie. But I seriously doubt they are willing to give up a guy who's numbers are trending upwards. I only do it if they take Volquez and a prospect that is blocked by one of our major leaguers.

I'm actually becoming interested in JJ Hardy and his impressive numbers this season. Problem is, he's making nearly $6M this season and is a free agent next season. I guess if Baltimore isn't going to sign him and they want to get something for him, they surely will be willing to deal him. I wanted to see what Cozart could do, but management seems unwilling to bring him up.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I don't see him as a significant enough upgrade over Cozart. The experience would be a plus, but I'd rather see the Reds give the youngster a shot. Do it now so you can decide next month whether a trade is necessary.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?