Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips says "It’s going to be hard to keep me here"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brandon Phillips says "It’s going to be hard to keep me here"

Check it out here.

Re: Brandon Phillips says "It’s going to be hard to keep me here"

Not much to go off on that-nothing new, Reds may have hard time paying him, he wants fair value, we have a prospect at 2'nd.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Not much to go off on that-nothing new, Reds may have hard time paying him, he wants fair value, we have a prospect at 2'nd.
    If you are talking about Hamilton he's a good 2 years away from the majors. I'd love to keep BP here and do pretty much what it would take from a money standpoint but I wouldn't go beyond 3 with a team option for 4. That being said I doubt that gets it done.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    They'll probably have a hard time, but I can see the organization going after him hard. He's the most proven bat in the lineup after Votto, and is one of the best defensive players in the league. He's great for team chemistry as well. We don't really have a prospect at 2nd though (Valaika is currently little more than a AAAA player, and Hamilton has a long road ahead).

To me, resigning Phillips or picking up his option is the equivalent of making a major trade in the offseason, and would be a major win for us.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    They'll probably have a hard time, but I can see the organization going after him hard. He's the most proven bat in the lineup after Votto, and is one of the best defensive players in the league. He's great for team chemistry as well. We don't really have a prospect at 2nd though (Valaika is currently little more than a AAAA player, and Hamilton has a long road ahead).

To me, resigning Phillips or picking up his option is the equivalent of making a major trade in the offseason, and would be a major win for us.
    Yup, I realize and agree, was summarizing the blog or whatever that was. I do hope they can keep Phillips, he is my fav on the team right now. I dont think Val wil ever be the answer, but excited for Hamilton in a year or so to see where he is, how he does.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I can't see us picking up that option...and that stinks because it would really be hard to lose BP.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I think we'll pick up his option next year but I don't know if we'll give him a new contract. I hope we do though, he's a huge part of this team.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd love to keep him, but realize there will always be a few guys that we cannot afford to keep. Plus, he's entering his thirties, and is heading toward the downside of his career.

He will always be a Red in my book though.

Let him go. The young guys have learned enough from him. I know this will likely be an unpopular comment, but I think it could have the same effect that Manny's departure from LA did. It took 2 years, but I think Kemp followed Manny when Manny was a Dodger.

I thought Phillips want an extension? In my eyes, he's more talented than Utley and Uggla, hands down, making him the best second baseman in the league. Surely, he doesnt want to leave good ole Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    I thought Phillips want an extension? In my eyes, he's more talented than Utley and Uggla, hands down, making him the best second baseman in the league. Surely, he doesnt want to leave good ole Cincinnati.
    http://www.lenscrafters.com/

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

the positive, and juicy part

“I told the Reds and the whole world this is where I want to be,” Phillips said. “If it doesn’t happen, I’m going to be very, very disappointed. I feel like I’ve made this a second home. I bought a house here. This is where I want to be, man. The fans just took me in. I feel like I need to stay here and give back.

“Hopefully, it happens. If it doesn’t happen this year, I feel in my head and my heart, it’s not going to happen.”

Phillips says the option getting picked up is no given.

“That’s a lot money,” he said. “There’s no guarantee. They might. I want a guarantee. . . . I’ve been here since ’06. I’d love to have that extension.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

The Reds have an option for 2012 for 12 million so if they want him that can keep him

As fast as his numbers are falling season to season he will not make more that 7-8 million per season after 2012

He has lost his power and speed

4 years ago he was a 30-30 man this season he is on pace for 11 HR and 9 SB for the whole season, he only had 18 HR & 16 SB last season

Hell Votto is on pace to steal more bases than BP (13)

His UZR/150 (defense) has also dropped off a cliff. From a high of 17.2 in 2007 to a 10.7 his season

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    The Reds have an option for 2012 for 12 million so if they want him that can keep him

As fast as his numbers are falling season to season he will not make more that 7-8 million per season after 2012

He has lost his power and speed

4 years ago he was a 30-30 man this season he is on pace for 11 HR and 9 SB for the whole season, he only had 18 HR & 16 SB last season

Hell Votto is on pace to steal more bases than BP (13)

His UZR/150 (defense) has also dropped off a cliff. From a high of 17.2 in 2007 to a 10.7 his season
    Agree about his offensive numbers being on the decline.

Disagree about his defense. I don't care what his UZR or ZFF numbers are. His defense still looks topnotch to me.

I don't see him getting a contract like Crawford got from any team. I think BP would be smarter to take a hometown discount and do like 4 years $32M. Cause I don't think he gets that much on the open market. And if does, that team is stupid for signing him.

Jason Werth? Adam Dunn? Uggla? Proving everyday that signing these guys to THAT MUCH MONEY is ridiculous.

I don't see any team paying a second baseman Carl Crawford money, except for the knuckleheaded Cubs aka Soriano.

Turn Off Ads?