Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you make this deal?

Would you make this deal?

If offered straight up would you..

Trade Votto for J. Bautista

Even swap...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you make this deal?

No way! How about this deal Edgar Renteria for a bag of chips. Any takers?

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    If offered straight up would you..

Trade Votto for J. Bautista

Even swap...
    They are pretty equal players right now, Votto is younger, no deal.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    They are pretty equal players right now, Votto is younger, no deal.
    But if you are pretty sure you are only going to have Votto for another 2.5 seasons, would you do it?

I will say when Votto hits free agency the Reds will lose him.
    does anyone else get the feeling his heart isn't here in Cincy.

If that's the case this question will come up again and I would rather have Alonso and Bautista than Alonso only.

But if you are pretty sure you are only going to have Votto for another 2.5 seasons, would you do it?
    I wait until the 2013 trade deadline and see what we can get there. Trading Votto makes this team sub .500 imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I wait until the 2013 trade deadline and see what we can get there. Trading Votto makes this team sub .500 imo.
    So you don't think it would be fair value in return AND you bring up Yonder to play first...

So you don't think it would be fair value in return AND you bring up Yonder to play first...
    I think that it's a fair trade but I think Votto is so valuable to this franchise that I would want to keep as long as possible.

It's trading a guy who is not only the face of the franchise, but the face of Cincinnati sports, for a trendy guy. You see Bautista, and you have no idea how long he'll keep up this production. You see Votto, and you see a probable Hall of Famer.

With Votto, it's not a matter of playing value. It's a matter of him being the reigning MVP and the key to the end of the Lost Decade. Even having him for only 2.5 years will boost attendance rates immensely, and thus indirectly increase the payroll and value of the franchise. Bautista is a great player and is signed to a (currently) club-friendly contract, but he can't be what Votto is to this city.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    It's trading a guy who is not only the face of the franchise, but the face of Cincinnati sports, for a trendy guy. You see Bautista, and you have no idea how long he'll keep up this production. You see Votto, and you see a probable Hall of Famer.

With Votto, it's not a matter of playing value. It's a matter of him being the reigning MVP and the key to the end of the Lost Decade. Even having him for only 2.5 years will boost attendance rates immensely, and thus indirectly increase the payroll and value of the franchise. Bautista is a great player and is signed to a (currently) club-friendly contract, but he can't be what Votto is to this city.
    I guess we differ on that. I don't see Votto as the face of the team, to me that is either Brandon or Jay. Votto is a very reserve not outgoing person. As for production, I think over the next 3 years you will see very similar numbers put up by both. To me this deal would keep the same production and all the Reds to bring Yonder up to play first. I am unsure why you think Bautista couldn't be to the city what Votto is?

NL Central champs

Yes, I would do it if the Reds FO felt their was anything less than a 50-50 chance at resigning him, otherwise I would take my chances.

I've been reading on here for a couple years, finally decided to join the mayhem.

I would hate to lose Votto. BUT (!) Bautista and Alonso sounds better to me than Gomes and Votto.

Recovering Cubs Fan

In a baseball sense, Bautista is a better fit. His ability to play third would be pretty handy with Rolen around. And Alonso is better than any OF they have coming up. But there are other issues as well. This ownership has worked very hard to bring people back to the ballpark and buy in. Selling off the MVP, the best hitter this team has had in a long time --and that's saying something -- would likely set back a lot of the goodwill the team has worked very hard to build. Obviously, if they continue to win, people will get over it. But guys like Votto don't come around very often, and it's difficult to imagine a non-video game scenario where he's traded.

I'd totally trade him and Volquez for Jered Weaver and Mike Trout though.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Votto will always be an excellent hitter with decent power.

I'm not convinced Bautista is here to stay with his power. Plus, he's a late bloomer and already a bit old for me.

No way! Votto could be one of the best ever. Keep him in a Reds uniform for a long time. I'm surprised people are even considering this.

Turn Off Ads?