Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friday June 17, 2011 Minor League Updates

Re: Friday June 17, 2011 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Love your updates, GOYA. Thanks as always ... and great to see the Bats win a close one. Thompson is still very young and has the chance to be a decent No. 5 MLB starter.
    My pleasure. As always. I wish I had more time to devote to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Mudcats ended up splitting a pair in Jackson. Carolina won 9-3 in the first game and the Generals won the second game 1-0 behind Andrew Carraway's one hitter. The game was a seven inning affair. Travis Webb started for Carolina and pitched well going four innings and striking out four in game two, no free passes and no runs. Boxberger took the loss giving up one run in the bottom of the seventh.

Carolina leads the series 2-1 with a Saturday doubleheader scheduled to close out the first half. The Mudcats are 21-47 and need to sweep the DH to match Chattanooga's 2002 half record of 23-47 as the worst half since the Mudcats entered the Southern League in 1991. If Carolina can at least split the doubleheader tonight it will be the first series win for the team since July 22-26 of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Was he also good defensively this season at Bakersfield?)
    I really can't say on to that. I love his work since he's been here. Carolina has a situation right now where there are three guys that deserve playing time and for the most part, they play two positions. Soto, Costanzo, and Campbell are all infielders. Soto is the primary first baseman. For Campbell to play Costanzo generally will be moved to first base and Soto will sit. Last night Campbell played first base in the second game of the doubleheader. In one sense I guess this is a luxury for the manager but in another sense I believe it is a problem that any three of these guys are having to sit at any time.

If the Reds are never going to give Dorn a chance, which it sure looks that way, trade the guy for prospects for the lower levels. Move Costanzo to Louisville at first base. He deserves a promotion in my opinion anyway and has played many games at first. That would open third up for Campbell in AA and give Soto the first base job full time...if that is where the Reds are going with him.

Turn Off Ads?