Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "It’s going to be hard to keep me here" - Brandon Phillips

Senor Votto

"It’s going to be hard to keep me here" - Brandon Phillips

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ndon-phillips/

Phillips on staying in Cincinnati: “It’s going to be hard to keep me here … I’m not trying to break the bank. I’m just trying to be fair. I don’t want Jayson Werth money or CC Sabathia money.”
    Haven't seen this any where. If I missed it please close

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "It’s going to be hard to keep me here" - Brandon Phillips

<Hawk Harrelson>He Gone</Hawk Harrelson>

Well, I've come to like Phillips, but I certainly wouldn't pay anymore than he's getting now.

Looks like a fairly contradictory statement to me.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Looks like a fairly contradictory statement to me.
    Yeah, the article doesn't make it out to be like he wants top dollar. Just what he thinks he is worth. Which for all we know, may be more than we are willing to pay still.

When I originally read that, I really thought it was a misprint and they forgot "not". I still think that's the case.

I think BP just gets the financial situation. He wants a fair contract but with guys like Bruce, Votto, Cueto, and Arroyo already getting extended and Stubbs probably coming soon he probably knows it will be hard for him to get a fair deal.

Oh well.
    Go Gators!

Arroyo did the same sort of posturing remember.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Arroyo did the same sort of posturing remember.
    Very true. It's almost like Phillips just wants to make sure he gets what he wants, but doesn't want to upset anyone or give the indication he wants out.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It's irrelevant at this point. Why? Because BP has a team option next season that the Reds will definitely pick up. Past 2012, who knows, but I'm not worried in the least. Plus, as much as he doesn't want to, this forces Brandon to continue to prove to the Reds' front office that he deserves a lucrative LTC. He would love them to hand him one now -- and no one can fault him for that. He's been an excellent player during his time in Cincinnati and has been good in the community (actually lights-out great over the last couple years ... although he was always good with the fans ... Twitter has just taken it to new levels).

I like the idea of making him earn it by finishing up this season in impressive fashion. If he does, I bet the Reds will not only pick up his '12 option, they will look to offer him a LTC much like they did with Arroyo last year. If you remember, Bronson had a team option for this season. At the time, I thought the Reds would pick it up, have one more year with Bronson, then likely part ways after 2011. However, they decided to sign him to a 3-year deal. Maybe they'll look to sign BP to a four-or-five year deal.

But the point is the Reds are in a great position here. They control him through 2012 and only if he proves to be worthy of the cash will he get it. Something tells me he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It's irrelevant at this point. Why? Because BP has a team option next season that the Reds will definitely pick up. Past 2012, who knows, but I'm not worried in the least. Plus, as much as he doesn't want to, this forces Brandon to continue to prove to the Reds' front office that he deserves a lucrative LTC. He would love them to hand him one now -- and no one can fault him for that. He's been an excellent player during his time in Cincinnati and has been good in the community (actually lights-out great over the last couple years ... although he was always good with the fans ... Twitter has just taken it to new levels).

I like the idea of making him earn it by finishing up this season in impressive fashion. If he does, I bet the Reds will not only pick up his '12 option, they will look to offer him a LTC much like they did with Arroyo last year. If you remember, Bronson had a team option for this season. At the time, I thought the Reds would pick it up, have one more year with Bronson, then likely part ways after 2011. However, they decided to sign him to a 3-year deal. Maybe they'll look to sign BP to a four-or-five year deal.

But the point is the Reds are in a great position here. They control him through 2012 and only if he proves to be worthy of the cash will he get it. Something tells me he will.

That's kinda what I was thinking..."No BP it is actually going to be really easy to keep you here, all we have to do is exercise your option" - WJ
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

This is going to be a great test of how much the club values off the field contributions. BPhil is a godsend for this team in that respect. Does BCast reward that? Frankly what he's doing on the field warrants a LTC, but the good will he's creating makes it a foregone conclusion.

Remember too that the club hired Joe Morgan back to specifically help with inner city interest in baseball. Look around the field. BPhil is the only African American regular. I suspect they'll value that (as they should, since that's an area they're already investing in with Morgan et al).
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Resident PED Expert

I like Brandon. I think he is a bigger cog on this team than most of us realize.

That being said this offseason would be the ideal time to trade him because his value will probably never be higher. He will have been an All-Star, Gold Glover and most likely with Utley having such a poor year, Sliver Slugger. He will have one very affordable year on his contract and give whomever trades for him a Type A FA who won't accept arbitration.

This is the type of piece you trade for a big name arm or high end prospects. I am also a firm believer you could get similar production out of Cozart at SS to offset his bat.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    <Hawk Harrelson>He Gone</Hawk Harrelson>
    They'd be foolish not to pick up the option for a year, at least. They can make a run at doing something in 2012 and then re-tool for 2013 -- possibly dealing Votto in the offseason.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?