Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris "1-7" Carpenter

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Chris "1-7" Carpenter

I'm sure he'll go on to win the Cy Young award now that I posted that, but might as well have some fun while we can at the expense of our favorite opposing pitcher.

You just can't make this stuff up: Chris Carpenter is 1-7 and we're nearly halfway through the season. I love the idea that he's getting to "washed up" territory. I don't think he's there yet and I fully expect him to rebound with a strong second half, but it's still hilarious that he's started 1-7.

And no, I'm not going to say it. I'm sure someone else will.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris "1-7" Carpenter

It is funny.

But he's nowehere near washed up as basically any stat other than win-loss will illustrate.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

My 3 year old son just explained to me why this is funny
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    What did you tell him?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    What did you tell him?
    I told him that maybe we should call up the Carpenter's, so he can speak to their boy and save Chris the embarrassment.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I told him that maybe we should call up the Carpenter's, so he can speak to their boy and save Chris the embarrassment.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Ha! Close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It is funny.

But he's nowehere near washed up as basically any stat other than win-loss will illustrate.
    I agree that he's not washed up yet (as I said) but I disagree that he's "nowhere near" washed up. Based on his injury history and his age, I say he's definitely approaching the area code where "washed up" resides.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Definitely didn't see this coming from Carp
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I agree that he's not washed up yet (as I said) but I disagree that he's "nowhere near" washed up. Based on his injury history and his age, I say he's definitely approaching the area code where "washed up" resides.
    I don't disagree. I'm just more or less saying his "real" stats are pretty similar to the last few years. The won loss record is more reflective of bad timing and bad run support.

Either way it's funny, and I honestly don't know how he will be able to explain it to his son. His son is likely far too young to fully understand statistical analysis beyond won-loss record, as such, his son probably believes his pops is washed up.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I don't disagree. I'm just more or less saying his "real" stats are pretty similar to the last few years. The won loss record is more reflective of bad timing and bad run support.

Either way it's funny, and I honestly don't know how he will be able to explain it to his son. His son is likely far too young to fully understand statistical analysis beyond won-loss record, as such, his son probably believes his pops is washed up.
    Patrick comes right out with it! Ha.

As for Carpenter, we can't forget about the HGH lab in the basement of Tony LaRussa's house. (Pretty sure Dave Duncan also has one, but LaRussa's is top-of-the-line. They can also give McGwire a ring if they get really desperate.) So, again, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rebound. And yes, his ERA, WHIP and things of that nature really aren't bad at all. I have him on one of my fantasy baseball money league teams. He's killing me in that league, but it's worth it. It's the worst of my three teams by far. I also have Adam "Fantasy Team Murderer" Dunn on that team. And Tim Lincecum was my second-round pick. I can't figure out why I'm so terrible in that league.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'll be honest, I thought this would start for Carpenter last year. He's definitely due for a rather sharp decline. And W/L record aside, that ERA isn't exactly sparkling. He's dropped pretty much across the board in nearly all his stats...it's not just W/L.

ERA 47th in NL (4.47)
    WHIP 44th in NL (1.39)
    BB 40th in NL (24)
    QS 28th in NL (8)
    K's 18th in NL (78)

Now what I WASN'T expecting was to see Loshe, Garcia & McClellan pitch like aces for extended stretches. It looks like Garcia's the real-deal, but come on...LOSHE!?! McClellan?!? This team is in for a freefall back to reality IMO. (same goes for Berkman & some hitters...Holiday & Pujols, I feel they'll maintain, but SEVERAL others should drop-off)
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-18-2011 at 11:03 AM.

High five!

Carpenter is essentially the same pitcher he was last and he's been throughout his career:

K/9
    2010: 6.86
    2011: 7.11
    Career: 6.86

BB/9
    2010: 2.41
    2011: 2.19
    Career: 2.59

HR/9
    2010: 0.80
    2011: 0.91
    Career: 0.92

FIP
    2010: 3.69
    2011: 3.52
    Career: 3.87

xFIP
    2010: 3.70
    2011: 3.34
    Career: 3.41

Wild guess: his record is explained by the amount of runs his offense scores when he starts.

His no range/ no play defense plays a part as well.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Here's how one should explain the fact that he's 1-7 with basically the same numbers as in his past it to his kid....

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?