Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transactions

Transactions

Not sure if this has been reported, but Torreyes to Dayton, Lohman and Gerson to Billings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Transactions

Thanks 72. I'm excited to see how Torreyes does in Dayton.

excellent -- really solidifies the Dayton club as the "next wave" after the Louisville group, IMO -- opens up a spot for Ryan Wright in Billings, too, if they can get him signed

Torreyes will be very interesting to watch.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

It's about time!

Very good move!

I still believe Lohman has a shot at being a replacement level shortstop, but Torreyes deserves the chance to prove himself at a higher level. With Lotzkar returning as well, Hamilton chasing 100 steals, and the team about to set the sellout record, this 2nd half of the season in Dayton will be exciting to watch.

Dayton now has a remarkably dynamic roster. No fewer than eight players might be listed on somebody's top 10 in the organization, and almost everybody's top 20: Hamilton, Yorman, Torreyes, Lotzkar, Corcino, Barnhart, Smith, Duran.

And the next-level guys are no slouches. The great majority could be considered prospects, worthy of the top 40: Vidal, Doyle, Hayes, Howell, Gerson (if he returns), Tuttle (if he returns), Renken, D'Anna, Lutz . . .

Even if you look at players who might be considered the lesser lights on the club, they're guys still worth keeping an eye on: Bowe, Matthews, Rogers, Walczak, Wolford, Infante. Simply no clunkers there.

The only guy on the roster who, at this point, has not shown much, is Chris Berset, whom I certainly wouldn't give up on.

Anybody know where Dayton ranks in the league in terms of average age?
    Last edited by mace; 06-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Who was the Dayton writer last year? Think he would still try to complain with this type of roster?
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Who was the Dayton writer last year? Think he would still try to complain with this type of roster?
    Marc Katz. He gone now.

While Dayton's roster is certainly interesting this year, it should continue to be next year as well. At this point, I'd expect Duran, Yorman, Hamilton, Torreyes, Stephenson, Guillon, Cisco, Mugarian, and either Waldrop or Rosa and Buckley or Arias (or both) to be a part of the team for at least the first half of next season.

As I look at that, it's possible that Hamilton and possibly Yorman and/or Duran get bumped up to High A ball to start next year. A lot of it will depend on how they perform the second half of this season. Corcino and Smith should play in Bakersfield the second half of this season, and Barnhart will start in High A next year.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-19-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

KD1476

Off topic a little bit, but does anyone know where Anthony Cingrani( 3rd round LHP) was assigned to?

If both Waldrop and Rosa look to be ready for Dayton next year, and Duran continues to produce at least an .800 OPS in Dayton, I wonder if he starts in High A next year or if they try him somewhere else, like say 1B?

Not sure they'll have enough room for Rosa, Waldrop, Yorman, and Duran in the Dayton OF next year. Not to mention, some scouts believe that Hamilton may join them (in CF) someday. Ad with a solid effort in Billings, Juan Silva could be in the mix as well.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Marc Katz. He gone now.

While Dayton's roster is certainly interesting this year, it should continue to be next year as well. At this point, I'd expect Duran, Yorman, Hamilton, Torreyes, Stephenson, Guillon, Cisco, Mugarian, and either Waldrop or Rosa and Buckley or Arias (or both) to be a part of the team for at least the first half of next season.

As I look at that, it's possible that Hamilton and possibly Yorman and/or Duran get bumped up to High A ball to start next year. A lot of it will depend on how they perform the second half of this season. Corcino and Smith should play in Bakersfield the second half of this season, and Barnhart will start in High A next year.
    I think a lot depends on the second half of the season.

At the beginning of the year, there were a couple posters that believed it would take the young guys at least half a season to find their rhythm in low A Dayton.

Now that half the season is over, you've started to see Hamilton come around (over .300 BA and improved slugging over the past two weeks). Duran has been a pleasant surprise all year and is slugging well. Yorman is starting to take walks and has hit a little better over his last few games. All could very well make huge jumps as the second half unfolds.

Torreyes is likely going to stay in Dayton until the halfway point of the next season, though he could very well make the jump with the Yorman, et al, if he hits like he has his entire career.

Guillon, Stephenson, Cisco, Mugarian, Waldrop, Rosa, Buckley, and, IMO, Wright, Lohman, Buckley, Arias, etc, should make the trip to Dayton in 2012 (and perhaps this season).

A quick and dirty batting order/ starting rotation for 2012:
    Devin Lohman/ Ryan Wright 2B
    Junior Arias SS
    Juan Silva OF
    Nicholas O'Shea 1B
    Jaren Matthews OF
    Kyle Waldrop OF
    Sean Buckley 3B
    Vicioso/ Gonzalez C

Add in a bunch of interesting bats as DH/ extra OFs/ middle IFs and you've got another good bunch of kids ready.

This assumes, of course, that the Hamilton/ Yorman/ Duran/ Torreyes group hits in Dayton.

The rotation:
    Tanner Robles/ Stephenson
    Sterling Gerson
    Cisco
    Wes Mugarian
    Ismael Guillon

That's a pretty solid prospect rotation with both youth and upside. Same with the offense.

According to the DDN article, the Reds are sending Lohman to Billings because they want him to play SS everyday. Where does that leave Junior Arias? Is he going to play 3B and Buckley 1B? I assume Ryan Wright, once signed, will play 2B everyday. At this point, I think Arias is the best prospect of the bunch, so I'd be most concerned with finding him a home first. Something's gotta give...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    According to the DDN article, the Reds are sending Lohman to Billings because they want him to play SS everyday. Where does that leave Junior Arias? Is he going to play 3B and Buckley 1B? I assume Ryan Wright, once signed, will play 2B everyday. At this point, I think Arias is the best prospect of the bunch, so I'd be most concerned with finding him a home first. Something's gotta give...
    With Campbell in AA now, I'd like to see Vidal promoted and Arias play 3B in Dayton. Or maybe Buckley to Dayton. The Reds need 3B help. I have hopes for Arias there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    With Campbell in AA now, I'd like to see Vidal promoted and Arias play 3B in Dayton. Or maybe Buckley to Dayton. The Reds need 3B help. I have hopes for Arias there.
    I like this plan, and also like Arias as the best 3B prospect in the system at this point.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?