Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty and Walt on SS: "We are happy with what we have"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dusty and Walt on SS: "We are happy with what we have"

From Fay:

Shortstop Zack Cozart is hitting .323 with 23 doubles, seven home runs and 28 RBI, while the Reds shortstops hover around .230 with little power.

Does there come a point where Cozart forces a move?

“We’re not at that point yet,” Jocketty said. “We’ve got a lot of guys down there doing well. (Yonder) Alonso’s done well, (Juan) Franicsco, (Jeremy) Hermida. A lot of guys are down there who are putting up good numbers. Dusty and I have talked about it. Right now, we’re happy with what we have.”

My brain pretty much just melted.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty and Walt on SS: "We are happy with what we have"

Liars!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Until they actually bring someone up, they kinda have to say that. And he did qualify it with "for now."
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Is every organization this incredibly irritating when it comes to being loyal to anemic players or is that specifically a Cincinnati thing?

Jocketty may well be telling the truth. But regardless, why would he say otherwise? What is to be gained by coming out and saying "we're not happy with what we have"?

If he did say that, he'd most certainly lose posturing and negotiating leverage in any prospective trade discussions.

It's very possible they are in fact content. But my hunch is that they aren't and they're surveying the landscape before making moves (let alone commenting publicly on them).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I agree that Walt isn't going to say "we are desperate for a shortstop".

However, the SS/Cozart situation is an example of the very conservative way the Reds are run currently. Its frustrating to me as a fan when there are guys on the team who have a minimal chance to suddenly improve get start after start. All 162 games count.

Agree with the others? What's he going to say? If these guys don't starting hitting, we're gonna cut one of them loose. What would that accomplish?

As absolutely frustrating as it is, I've finally come to understand you have to take anything they say with a giant grain of salt.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

However, the SS/Cozart situation is an example of the very conservative way the Reds are run currently. Its frustrating to me as a fan when there are guys on the team who have a minimal chance to suddenly improve get start after start. All 162 games count.
    I'm of the opinion they clearly need to find an upgrade, as they don't have someone on the Major League active roster that's going to produce at a capable level. I differ with most others on using Cozart, though. Prior to this year, Cozart hasn't shown anything to indicate he would hit at the majors with any regularity. If what he's doing in Louisville is legit (and it could be), I'd personally like to see it for more than half a season.

I don't mind the trepidation regarding Cozart. It was just last year he OPS'd just .726 in AAA in nearly 600 PAs.

If I'm the Reds, all my energy is on either Hardy or Reyes. If that falls through in July and Cozart is still hitting, I'd hand it over to him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

Agreed. I wouldn't expect them to say anything different when they're put on the spot like that, but watching the epitome of futility, Paul Janish, cranking out a .270 slugging percentage while a 25 year old Cozart demolishes AAA is just plain idiotic at this point.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

In other words.....a move is coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    In other words.....a move is coming soon
    heh, you must have received your Walt Jocketty decoder ring that comes with every 10th purchase at Skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    heh, you must have received your Walt Jocketty decoder ring that comes with every 10th purchase at Skyline.
    be sure to drink your ovaltine?...a crummy commercial!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I love obscure references!

Time is the Revelator.

Then the Reds deserve to fail.

I don't care. OOTP12 comes out Monday. Alsonso is my starting LF and Cozart will be at short. Goodbye Gomes and Edgar.

Turn Off Ads?