Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marlins manager Rodriguez resigns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    -The Insider-

Marlins manager Rodriguez resigns

Beat writer Clark Spencer reported this a few minutes ago. Edwin Rodriguez only lasted less than a year after replacing Fredi Gonzalez on June 23 of last year.
    The Marlins have only won one game in June and have lost 20 of their last 23. Bench coach Brandon Hyde will manage the last-placed Fish today

Re: Marlins manager Rodriguez resigns

Wow, that's weird. Wonder if there's more to the story, like the players were all against him.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Wow, that's weird. Wonder if there's more to the story, like the players were all against him.
    Quite the opposite.

Shame. IDK much about his actual managing skills, but he seemed to have a competitive fire (mainly arguing with the umps.) that very few managers still seem to have, including Dusty.

As far his "resignation", this is a pretty straightforward team-is-playing-crappy over more than a couple weeks, someone-has-to-get-fired-so-its-the-manager, which I have no problem with. Someone has to take the heat, head of the team only makes since.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Talk about a team that has gone in the tank. Between Josh Johnson going down, Hanley's back and ineffectiveness, that is a tall order to overcome with the rest of their young guys.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Haunted by walks

There's talk that Jack McKeon may take over.

-The Insider-

I would love it if Jack returned to the helm of the Marlins.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...s-manager.html

But McKeon, 80, said he had not spoken to anyone with the Marlins about the position.

"I just walked in from church," McKeon said at 12:45 p.m. "I didn't even know he resigned. I haven't heard a word."

Asked if he would consider returning as manager if asked, McKeon replied from his home in North Carolina. "I'd have to check with my wife and see what she says. But, no question I could do it."

-The Insider-

When I talked to Jack about him managing again in 2008 he said he'd do it. He wouldn't look for a job but if someone came along asking he would be game.

-The Insider-

Here is some insight for those who don't follow the Marlins:

Marlins’ Rodriguez resigns, another managerial search underway

For the second time in less than a year the Florida Marlins will have to hire a new manager. On Sunday Edwin Rodriguez announced that he had resign from his post as the skipper of the last-placed Marlins. Rodriguez will leave after only 163 games with a record of 78-85. The Marlins said that bench coach Brandon Hyde will manage the Marlins in the meantime.

The Marlins brought in Edwin Rodriguez as the interim manager on June 23, 2010 after then-manager Fredi Gonzalez was fired. Rodriguez, who had been in the organization since 2003, had managerial experience with the Low Class-A Greensboro Grasshoppers and the Gulf Coast league Marlins. Throughout the rest of the 2010 campaign rumors swirled that the Marlins would bring in a big-named manager to replace Rodriguez. Two prominent names on the rumor mill were former Mets manager and friend of Marlins owner Jeffry Loria, Bobby Valentine, and current White Sox skipper Ozzie Guillen. Talks with Valentine got ugly and he publically bashed the Marlins brass with how they handled negotiations on ESPN. As for Guillen, it was rumored that the Marlins offered first baseman-turned-outfielder Logan Morrison to White Sox general manager Kenny Williams for Guillen’s services. Guillen was previously with the Marlins as the third base coach during their 2003 World Series run.

After numerous swing and misses during the final few months of the 2010 season and during the off-season, the Marlins announced that they had re-signed Edwin Rodriguez to a one-year deal, keeping him as the manager. The Marlins 2011 season looked promising as the Marlins were leading the wild card for most of the first two months of play. The Marlins sat at 29-19 in late May. Once June came the wheels fell completely off. Coming into Sunday’s game the Marlins had only won one game in June and were 1-17 this month. An injury to the Marlins ace Josh Johnson and cornerstone player Hanley Ramirez batting around .200 didn’t help Rodriguez’s cause. Rumors started to fly that the front office of the Marlins were looking for a change. On June 8 the Marlins fired hitting coach John Mallee and replaced him with former big league Eduardo Perez, son of Marlins advisor Tony Perez.

Now that Rodriguez has resigned, the Marlins will be on the search again. Familiar names such as Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Valentine will come up again, as will former Marlins third base coach Bo Porter. Porter was offered the Marlins managerial job in the off-season but it was declined. Another wildcard name that has quickly come up is 80-year-old Jack McKeon. McKeon, who is an advisor to the owner, lead the Marlins to a World Series victory in 2003. Trader Jack, as many call him, was the Marlins manager from 2003-2005 and has stayed in the organization in his current role since then. If McKeon does return it will be only for the remainder of the season, as Loria and company would do everything they can to make a huge splash in the off-season. The Marlins came out empty handed the first time around but this time they have better bait which includes an expanding payroll and a new stadium that opens in 2012. Loria hopes that this time he won’t strike out, but hit a home run from Sun Life Stadium to his future home in the Little Havana section of downtown Miami.

Turn Off Ads?