Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Curse of George Grande

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

The Curse of George Grande

First the Indians series and now this? Why must FSN keep torturing me? Just when I thought we were done with "Mr. Goodie Two-Shoes" they bring him back for the occasional series.

I need an announcer that will call it like it is, actually add something to the broadcast ... and not behave as though they are announcing a T-ball game where they don't want to say anything negative about the 5-year-old kids playing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Curse of George Grande

George rocks. He brings a vibe to the game that no other announcer does. IMO, he's the best we have besides Marty (who also gets a lot of haterade around here).

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    George rocks. He brings a vibe to the game that no other announcer does. IMO, he's the best we have besides Marty (who also gets a lot of haterade around here).

Please tell me that's sarcasm. George is nails-against-the-chalkboard for me. Hi, hello and welcome!

Holy redundancy, Batman.

There is a reason the Reds finally cut bait with him. What I can't figure is why they even bring him back for a series here and there. Can the Chinese Torture Treatment please stop?!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Marty sucks 90% of the time. When Marty isn't describing to me what is going on down on the field, he makes me want to immediately turn off the game. That 10% of the time he is describing what is going on down on the field is fantastic, but that 90% of the time is very rough IMO.

I think George is the team's best play by play guy. Put Welsh on Color and Let Kelch fill in either spot. Marty needs to retire and take Thom with him. Brantley is horrible.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It wasn't sarcasm, Blitz. It appears we have quite differing opinions.

Doug, I don't get that from Marty.

mth, I agree with you right up until the word "Marty", which I've already addressed. Thom is okay, he's actually pretty good, but sometimes George makes him look like an amateur in a way that's hard to describe. George kinda seems to have a feel for baseball that Thom doesn't; maybe its all the football announcing that Thom does. Thom can be a bit of a drama king at times too, but other than that he's okay. Brantley can be annoying sometimes, and his pbp leaves a lot to be desired (and some of that's on WLW for having him do pbp in the first place with their weird inning-by-inning rotation), but as a color guy, when he's talking about the game, he's actually pretty knowledgeable. I rather like Kelch's pbp, very smooth. While I like Thom alright, I wouldn't shed any tears if Kelch had the main TV job.

Casey I like, on a limited basis. Keels was horrible last year, the only broadcaster RZ seemed unanimous on. I'm thrilled he's gone.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Doug, I don't get that from Marty.
    Marty comes off to me as a very bitter old man. I strongly disagree with his ideas of what a baseball player should be valued upon. He really harps on what players tend not to do rather than what they are able to do. It all just rubs me the wrong way.

Kelch is by far my favorite Reds PBP man right now. I'd enjoy a TV booth pairing him with Welsh on a regular basis. Since I don't listen on the radio very much these days, I'd love to ship Thom over with his dad so I don't have to listen to him.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Marty is not as bitter as he was a few years ago- the team improved and so did his personal life, I believe.

Mostly I enjoy both Marty and GG because of their history with this team. I have listened to both of them most of my adult life, and there is a comfort level there. They're like old friends, whom you know have flaws, but you love them anyway because of how long you have known them and the experiences you have shared.

I have only met Marty a few times and have always found him to a very gracious and friendly man. I have met and talked with GG about a half dozen times, and I think he is one of the nicest guys I have ever known. A relative was very close with him and thought the world of GG.

ON the other hand, I listen to the same stuff that you guys do, and I totally understand the angst that many here have against these guys. I get it. Maybe I'm just old enough and have listened to both of them long enough that I ignore what bothers many here.

Maybe I'm just mellowing out in my old age, but even Brantley is growing on me. When he's not talking about ribs or ice cream, the guy does know how to talk about pitching, and get it across to his listeners.

PS- oh, and I do enjoy Jim Kelch, too, very much. Excellent addition to the booth- a technician, who covers all the bases and sticks mostly to baseball, which is needed when working with Marty sometimes. Marty may have morphed into Joe-like somewhere along the line, without Joe's experience as a player, of course...
    Last edited by Always Red; 06-19-2011 at 05:14 PM.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

From Jamie Ramsey's great site: http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2011/06/19...s-619-marty-b/

To the tune of the Beatles "Let it Be"

MARTY B.

When I turn my radio on in the summer, little Marty speaks to me,
    barking words of wisdom, Marty B.
    And in his sour darkness he is older than the tallest tree,
    knew Rixey, Roush and Pinson and Bid McPhee.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., Marty B.
    Mahogany leather skin, Marty B.

He tends to use the phrase “you people” when he’s speaking grumpily,
    tiny like a ballet dancer, Marty B.
    Franchester’s what they called him, his hair is as white as clean new sheets,
    you’ll rarely hear him stammer. Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., he’s the long-time Reds announcer, Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., Marty B., too small to be a bouncer, Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B. yeah Marty B., spittin’ words of venom, Marty B.

And when he’s Mr. Frowny, he is still all right, all right with me,
    outlived Greta Garbo, Marty B.
    I love his hair, the way he poofs it, little Marty is handsome ya see,
    Golden girls adore him, Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., Marty B. yeah Marty B. he uses perfect grammar, Marty B.

Marty B. Marty B., Marty B., yeah Marty B., he owns a little hamster, Marty B.

Marty B., Marty B., yeah Marty B., yeah Marty B., he wears a suit of denim, Marty B.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Grande > Thom

Thom's shtick is to tell us something is terrible, use longer words to say the same thing and then raise his voice by an octave and underscore the point a third time. I'd rather watch a game with Li'l Georgie Sunshine than endure Thom's errant harangues.

I like everyone but Thom. I don't need to agree 100% with an announcer (I don't with Marty at all, but I still love the guy).

Nuxhall was a horrible announcer, but I still miss him. I don't know, to me it's about familiarity, these guys get to be like family. I think that's why I can generally forgive their faults.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

i think Kelch should thank all the other losers for participating. I grew up with Marty and I at least respect the fact that he's not afraid to call out a player(be interesting to know how many confrontations there have been post rant)and his voice comforts me somehow....as for Grande I'm sure I'll throw up the next time he figures out a way to work in "a check up from the neck up"...he even has Welsh saying it. No comment on 'ole Chris by the way. As for Brantley i can stand him on radio but can't stand to watch him on TV...that lazy eye glance slowly into the camera thing is OLD. Casey is awesome except for the laughing hysterically at everything that comes out
    of his own mouth thing.

gimme the Pirates announcers.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Grande is the only Reds announcer with his own drinking game...

Helps make the losses more tolerable.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I miss Grande but it's because he is "Mr. Goodie Two Shoes".

Well said.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?