Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Way past time to prune this roster

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Way past time to prune this roster

Too much dead weight on this club. They need some new life. Arredondo, Renteria need to be moving on. Probably a couple others, too.

They need a shake-up. Be proactive. Don't wait all summer just because MIL and STL are in similar shape. Take advantage of a weak division.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Way past time to prune this roster

Castellini won't spend the money. I hope he sells the team to Mark Cuban so we can put together a winner.

I have been to 4 games in the past 2 weeks. Just moved to cincy 3 weeks ago from Athens. I am boycotting the stadium and attending games until Janish/Renteria are no longer the options at SS. I am not usually one to complain about the management of the team but this is absurd. I encourage all of you to boycott also.

What shortstops are you going to find that are better? In other words, you want offense out of them, name two short stops that give you offense besides Hanley, Jeter and Pedroia.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    What shortstops are you going to find that are better? In other words, you want offense out of them, name two short stops that give you offense besides Hanley, Jeter and Pedroia.
    Reyes, Tulo, Alexei Ramirez, Starlin Castro, Yunel Escobar, and Drew all give solid to great production out of SS as well. Also, Pedroia is a 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    Which shortstops are you going to find that are better? Was that a serious question?

DFA Renteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Castellini won't spend the money. I hope he sells the team to Mark Cuban so we can put together a winner.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52 View Post
    It was tongue in cheek.

But it is hard dealing with being a small market team.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Which shortstops are you going to find that are better? Was that a serious question?
    um every single one in the league is the correct answer. Cozart would get me to go back and spend money. this team is a joke in its current state and has no chance at the playoffs unless a move is made. more like two or three moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    huh? Can you please provide examples? He has shelled out big money deals on a number of Reds players getting them inked. He spent to get Rolen (you can agree or disagree it was a smart move) He spent $30 million on an unknown talent in Chapman. He has spent the monies..

Plus MLB will never allow Mark into pro baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    I have been to 4 games in the past 2 weeks. Just moved to cincy 3 weeks ago from Athens. I am boycotting the stadium and attending games until Janish/Renteria are no longer the options at SS. I am not usually one to complain about the management of the team but this is absurd. I encourage all of you to boycott also.
    Well guess you won't be going to anymore games this year. I agree with Edgar, but I keep Janish.

um every single one in the league is the correct answer. Cozart would get me to go back and spend money. this team is a joke in its current state and has no chance at the playoffs unless a move is made. more like two or three moves.
    I agree we need to addresss a few issues, but how is this team a 'joke'? We have very good players at C, 1st, 2nd, RF and CF. We have good SP and young which means they will just get better. We have a very nice bullpen with only Co-Co in the last year of his deal. Does this team have issues, sure but a joke? Please......

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I agree we need to addresss a few issues, but how is this team a 'joke'? We have very good players at C, 1st, 2nd, RF and CF. We have good SP and young which means they will just get better. We have a very nice bullpen with only Co-Co in the last year of his deal. Does this team have issues, sure but a joke? Please......
    in its current state, this team is not a playoff contender. IF we somehow back into the playoffs, we will suffer a very similar fate as last year.

our "very good" CF and lead off batter is on pace to break Mark Reynolds MLB record for strikeouts in a season.

our "very good" 2B while playing great defense has given us nothing the past 30 days w a line of .218/.273/.261 including 0 HRs.

our one good catcher is playing way over his head and will not keep up his average or HR pace. Hanigan is a joke at the plate. Meanwhile we have the #1 catching prospect in baseball waiting in the wings at AAA.

So we have Votto and Bruce and Cueto. Leake has been very good since his return from AAA, I hope it continues. Bronson is an overpaid innings eater. Homer would be pretty good if he didn't get hurt every other month.

oh and I forgot to mention we are wasting a true TOR arm by making him a 7th or 8th inning guy. great idea

in its current state, this team is not a playoff contender. IF we somehow back into the playoffs, we will suffer a very similar fate as last year.

our "very good" CF and lead off batter is on pace to break Mark Reynolds MLB record for strikeouts in a season.

He is still learning, and hitting out of position due to our lack of a true leadoff hitter. He is only going to get better.

our "very good" 2B while playing great defense has given us nothing the past 30 days w a line of .218/.273/.261 including 0 HRs.

What players don't have slumps? Are you saying he isn't any good and not one of the top 2nd basemen in baseball right now?

our one good catcher is playing way over his head and will not keep up his average or HR pace. Hanigan is a joke at the plate. Meanwhile we have the #1 catching prospect in baseball waiting in the wings at AAA.

How is Hanigan a joke at the plate? Has he struggled a bit, but a joke? If you look at the numbers the pair put up, I would put that up against any other teams catching situation.

So we have Votto and Bruce and Cueto. Leake has been very good since his return from AAA, I hope it continues. Bronson is an overpaid innings eater. Homer would be pretty good if he didn't get hurt every other month.

How is Bronson overpaid? Look around MLB at pitchers who make the same or even more and don't give their teams anywhere near what Bronson gives the Reds. Cueto/Leake and even Wood have nothing but bright futures and if EV can get his head on straight has incredible stuff.

oh and I forgot to mention we are wasting a true TOR arm by making him a 7th or 8th inning guy. great idea

No arguement on this issue from me, the Reds have almost destroyed what could have been an incredible arm.

Turn Off Ads?