Chris Heisey for Rafael Furcal
Here is a list of reasons why this makes sense:
1. The Reds started Heisey in all 3 games in LA.
2. Furcal was due to come off the DL yesterday (Strained oblique). He is about a week away from a rehab assignment. Another report said that he thought he could play yesterday. He is doing baseball activities such as swinging and running. The trade would likely be a couple of days or weeks away.
3. Furcal's time in LA is likely over as they have called up their top prospect Dee Gordon, who has been playing well.
4. The Dodgers are in need of a left-fielder.
5. The Reds really do have an abundance of good young LFers now that Sappelt and Alonso are playing well (Alonso always played well - but now he is playing left).
6. Last year in 388 ABs Furcal hit .300 with a .383 OBP, 22 SB, and an .826 OPS.
7. Furcal is a lead-off hitter!!!
8. I think it would be a solid trade for both sides. Who knows, it could become a blockbuster as the Dodgers need a catcher and might be willing to trade Billingsley for one of the and the Dodgers will try to trade an additional player for one of Cincy's minor league catchers.
9. Furcal is making 12 million this year, which could be a downfall. He needs 492 PA this year to receive a an additional 1.3 million or exercise a 2012 option. I believe he is around 75, so he is likely not to make that number. It may be another reason the Dodgers are holding him back. (Billingsley is making about 6.5 million).
Furcal for Heisey - Isn't Furcal everything the Reds need in one player? If he plays like last year it would be a great trade for both sides. The biggest problem I see is the finances. Even if it didn't work out, I think it would be worth the risk. What do you guys think?