Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OOTP12 is OUT! And I highly reccommend it.

Re: OOTP12 is OUT! And I highly reccommend it.

The newest patch came out yesterday and already Markus is working on an update for today. The bugs that are being fixed would be completely ignored by most companies, and Markus is adding new features to boot. I've never experienced better customer service!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I still think 6.5 was the most fun, I enjoy the added on features of 7 to 11 (not gonna buy 12) but 6.5 was the easiest one to just open and go.

I think I have played 6, owned 8 I think or 7, but I hate the scout scale 20 to 80. I like ones based on 1 to 10 or 1 to 100. Can't tell you why I just do not like the scout scale.

Would every owner need to have OOTP?

I'm in two sim leagues (http://www.reynlow.com/prime/prime.asp) that are awesome, but they use some old school software and don't have the bells and whistles OOTP does.

I'd be in either way.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So I am hooked on this game now. Won the 2012 World Series last night with the Reds. Its such a fun realistic game. I feel like I only use about a quarter of all the features I could though. There are so many

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I bought v11 a couple months ago, I had a couple of the earlier versions also. It's an awesome GM sim, but lacking in the actual playing of games. But I'm used to thousands and thousands of Diamond Mind games and am spoiled in that regard. Want a killer GM sim, this is the choice far and away. Want to replay seasons and manage games--Diamond Mind and Strat are your go-to's there.

I play in three Diamond Mind leagues but have never tried an OOTP league. I could be easily convinced to join a Redszone OOTP league probably.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    I bought v11 a couple months ago, I had a couple of the earlier versions also. It's an awesome GM sim, but lacking in the actual playing of games. But I'm used to thousands and thousands of Diamond Mind games and am spoiled in that regard. Want a killer GM sim, this is the choice far and away. Want to replay seasons and manage games--Diamond Mind and Strat are your go-to's there.

I play in three Diamond Mind leagues but have never tried an OOTP league. I could be easily convinced to join a Redszone OOTP league probably.
    We've talked before but I agree with you on Diamond Mind. However last I understood it they stopped making their projection system and you had to use third party projections like Zips? Is that still the case? Unfortunately I have dropped out of the leagues I participated in due to time constraints.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Cincy, yeah I do believe the projection seasons are no longer produced.I only used it once for a league I was in. But I get Dan Z's ZiIPS disk every year and fool around with it. My opinion is that it's as good as DMB's projection disk if not better--and free. Dayne Myers has taken the DMB product and done his best to ruin it. His name is cursed in the DMB circle I run with.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

NL Central champs

Anyone getting OOTP 13? I already preordered mine . Sounds like it should be released in early April.

OOTP 14 is now on sale for half price ($20). I just bought it and am trying to figure out the best way to play. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    OOTP 14 is now on sale for half price ($20). I just bought it and am trying to figure out the best way to play. Help!
    The MLB QuickStart this year is really fun. Fictional is also a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    The MLB QuickStart this year is really fun. Fictional is also a blast.
    I am leaning towards fictional. Should I use the fictional download or start my own?

I am leaning towards fictional. Should I use the fictional download or start my own?
    Depends how creative you want to be. The included fictional and historical setups are fun but kind of vanilla. I've loved the Kalama QuickStart in the past (he didn't update it for 14 but you can convert the file) but am just now playing around with my own setup. Check out the mods section of the OOTP forums, there is a lot of good stuff to play with there.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Depends how creative you want to be. The included fictional and historical setups are fun but kind of vanilla. I've loved the Kalama QuickStart in the past (he didn't update it for 14 but you can convert the file) but am just now playing around with my own setup. Check out the mods section of the OOTP forums, there is a lot of good stuff to play with there.
    I created a new fictional league. I left most of the settings at the default. I am playing as the Cincinnati Reds even though all the players are fictional.

I didn't install the All In One update until after I had created the league, so the logos and ballparks and things like that are generic. I like the game a lot. I am still learning all the features. I have played it about 16 of the 24 hours since I installed the game. LOL

I am in June of my first season already. Just finished the Amateur Draft. I hope my scouting director knows his stuff.

I created a new fictional league. I left most of the settings at the default. I am playing as the Cincinnati Reds even though all the players are fictional.

I didn't install the All In One update until after I had created the league, so the logos and ballparks and things like that are generic. I like the game a lot. I am still learning all the features. I have played it about 16 of the 24 hours since I installed the game. LOL

I am in June of my first season already. Just finished the Amateur Draft. I hope my scouting director knows his stuff.
    I'd sim about 20 years, then jump into a fictional league. Take a look at the history, rename awards after great players, etc. It really helps with the immersion. Great, great game.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I'd sim about 20 years, then jump into a fictional league. Take a look at the history, rename awards after great players, etc. It really helps with the immersion. Great, great game.
    Renaming the awards is a great idea.

I am now in my 8th season already. I quick-sim all the regular season games one by one and examine the box scores after every game. I play out the playoff games manually.

My team has done quite well, having made the playoffs 6 out of 7 years including one World Series title. The Milwaukee Brewers somehow ended up as the big market powerhouse in this fictional league and they are in the same division as my Reds of course. They have had the best record in baseball every single year except one, and that was the year I won the World Series. I have made the playoffs 6 times but 5 of those have been as the first Wild Card because those dang Brewers always finish ahead of me.

One thing I have noticed is that free agency has run amok. It seems like half the players in the league are free agents in any given offseason. Before this season I decided to change the free agency eligibility to 7 years of service time (it was 5). Hopefully this will calm things down a bit.

My team has run into payroll difficulties. I don't spend any money on the free agent market but it has become very difficult to afford the costs of keeping all my good players under contract. It takes a few seasons to figure out how all the financial aspects of the game function, but I think I am getting the hang of it now.

My player Howard Garner is the all-time career leader in OPS and wOBA and is 3rd in VORP. For some reason he has not played at a star level the last 1.5 years despite his ratings staying the same as before. Maybe I should change my hitting coach.

I find the game to be tons of fun. The game results and season stats seem very realistic. The options are endless. I could tinker with this game for eons.

Turn Off Ads?