Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees Fans at Great American BallPark

Yankees Fans at Great American BallPark

I was at the first game of the double header. Saw tons of Yankee fans, didn't see or hear any of them being too annoying, but come on! How many of them would you guess actually have ties to New York? I say less than 40%. The other 60% are the same fans that live in Cincinnati and root for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Yankees and Lakers.
    I'm sorry, but I consider myself a real man and will be a Bengal/Red till the death.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Yankees Fans at Great American BallPark

Sadly, (at least as far as the Bengals are concerned), so will I. Nothing worse than a bandwagon fan/front-runner.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Yeah bandwagoners are annoying. I stick with our Cincy teams through thick and thin.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I consider myself a real man and will be a Bengal/Red till the death.
    cause this makes anyone a real man, lol.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

if you aren't a reds and bengals fan I don't have anything to say to you. i'll throw in bearcat basketball too.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    if you aren't a reds and bengals fan I don't have anything to say to you. i'll throw in bearcat basketball too.
    Hey, Bearcat football too!

Some people just like the idea of feeling apart of something really big, and as great as hometown loyalty is (I can't imagine rooting for a non-Ohio team), for some people they really don't care about that.

Personally, the Yankees would just seem like a joyless team of robots to root for. They try to buy up all the talent (certainly in their right. No rule breaking.), and it must be a suffocating feeling knowing that the entire season is a complete and total failure if it doesn't result in a World Series.

I wish the Reds were willing to do whatever it took to the degree that the Yankees do, but its fun to watch some of these guys rise up through the farm system and perform. You feel a greater sense of connection. With the Yankees, outside of a handful of guys, it's a team of free agents.

I agree and the Yanks are among the worst for that for fan bases, but keep in mind a lot of people move around over the course of their lives and loyalties can move with them. I have lived in NC most of my life-all my childhood-so never had a local pro team to follow. My family moved to NC from Pittsburgh before I was born , so was born into the black and gold. My family is from Ohio though originally, so thats where I get my Reds following, as well as I was a catcher and Johnny Bench fan.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    cause this makes anyone a real man, lol.
    lol, not exactly. But you know what I'm saying. Sports is the only thing where rooting for a bad product is admirable.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    Some people just like the idea of feeling apart of something really big, and as great as hometown loyalty is (I can't imagine rooting for a non-Ohio team), for some people they really don't care about that.

Personally, the Yankees would just seem like a joyless team of robots to root for. They try to buy up all the talent (certainly in their right. No rule breaking.), and it must be a suffocating feeling knowing that the entire season is a complete and total failure if it doesn't result in a World Series.

I wish the Reds were willing to do whatever it took to the degree that the Yankees do, but its fun to watch some of these guys rise up through the farm system and perform. You feel a greater sense of connection. With the Yankees, outside of a handful of guys, it's a team of free agents.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I gave a friend of mine a hard time when he started talking about UK players in the NBA. (the Cousins, Bledsoe, and Wall class)
    They aren't Kentucky alums and they have only the shallowest connection to that school. They were there for one year and stopped going to classes as soon as they lost in March. (if they went at all) They were Kentucky's (rentals?*); brought in for one specific purpose and leaving immediately afterward.
    I have no interest in rooting for something like that, nor do I have an interest in rooting for a major league team full of rent-a-players that change every 2-5 years.

*edited with apologies
    Last edited by OGB; 06-23-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: sorry I had no idea that a slang term for call girl was off limits. I guess I'm too used to the other places I hang online
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Not trying to change the thread subject, but speaking of hometown teams, did anyone else see in the new ESPN magazine that the Bengals were rated the worst proffesional team based on Title Track, Ownership, Coaching, Players, Fan relations, Affordability, Stadium Experience, and Bang for the buck. They were 122 out of 122 teams. The Reds were 15 out of 122. Only baseball teams that were higher than the Reds were the Rangers and the Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan_26 View Post
    Not trying to change the thread subject, but speaking of hometown teams, did anyone else see in the new ESPN magazine that the Bengals were rated the worst proffesional team based on Title Track, Ownership, Coaching, Players, Fan relations, Affordability, Stadium Experience, and Bang for the buck. They were 122 out of 122 teams. The Reds were 15 out of 122. Only baseball teams that were higher than the Reds were the Rangers and the Rockies.
    Yeah, that is really sad, but no matter how bad and dysfunctional the Bengals are, no matter the crap they put me through, I will forever and always revolve my football Sundays around them. I'm a sick, sick man.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    Yeah, that is really sad, but no matter how bad and dysfunctional the Bengals are, no matter the crap they put me through, I will forever and always revolve my football Sundays around them. I'm a sick, sick man.
    Nope, your a true fan and I admire that. Anyone can root for a winner, its easy. It takes a real fan to stick by their team when they arent winning-esp when years or even decades drag on without winning. I am a UNC fan and often hear I am bandwagon since they win a lot. I am from CH, my dad worked at UNC, etc etc, yeah, of course i am a fan, not only of the championship winning basketball team, but was there every Saturday during 2-10 seasons of bad football. And of course last year when the Reds won the division people thought I was jumping on then (those that didn't know me and know I have been a fan since 82).
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Nope, your a true fan and I admire that. Anyone can root for a winner, its easy. It takes a real fan to stick by their team when they arent winning-esp when years or even decades drag on without winning. I am a UNC fan and often hear I am bandwagon since they win a lot. I am from CH, my dad worked at UNC, etc etc, yeah, of course i am a fan, not only of the championship winning basketball team, but was there every Saturday during 2-10 seasons of bad football. And of course last year when the Reds won the division people thought I was jumping on then (those that didn't know me and know I have been a fan since 82).
    Mike Brown loves "real fans" then...all those "real fans" who keep paying for season tickets, COA's, parking, etc. just help him line his pocketbook rather than produce actual, real winning football.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Mike Brown loves "real fans" then...all those "real fans" who keep paying for season tickets, COA's, parking, etc. just help him line his pocketbook rather than produce actual, real winning football.
    Not really, you can be a real fan without spending a dime. You can support the team without sending a dime.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?