Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Reds fans...We have a number 1 starter. Johnny Cueto

Hey Reds fans...We have a number 1 starter. Johnny Cueto

A number one does the following in my opinion:

You expect him to win every time he goes to the mound.

He finds a way to beat good teams.

He makes a great offense look like a minor league team.

He is who you want to start game 1 of the World Series.

He stops losing streaks.

Johnny Cueto is ours...the first one we have had since.....? Rijo?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hey Reds fans...We have a number 1 starter. Johnny Cueto

Yes sir. Hands down. You can put him up against anyone in the league and feel confident that he'll get the win. A true game changer and stopper. Really needed that tonight.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Dude doesn't strike a ton of people out. Dude doesn't throw upper 90's. Dude doesn't "Wow" you with nasty pitches. He only has 3 pitches he consistently throws in the proper part of the zone and gets hitters out with. No way he can be an "Ace."
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Johnny is a nice pitcher. He is the best starter on the team. yet he is not an ace like Hallady, Lee, Felix, etc. if the Reds want to win the World Series and not just win the NL Central they need at least one starter better than Johnny. preferably two.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Dude doesn't strike a ton of people out. Dude doesn't throw upper 90's. Dude doesn't "Wow" you with nasty pitches. He only has 3 pitches he consistently throws in the proper part of the zone and gets hitters out with. No way he can be an "Ace."
    He did hit 97MPH tonight...that was plenty of heat the last time I checked. I would have said the same thing a month ago, but whether it's the delivery or what, his stuff is better than I've ever seen it recently. The two keys in my opinion are groundballs and K's.

He's getting an obscene amount of groundballs so far after being a flyball pitcher early in his career. If that's not a fluke, Cueto's got a lot of success coming his way.

And the K rate is just intriguing. He's trended up in that department recently, and I have a hard time seeing him with a k/9 around 6 the way he's throwing the ball right now. If he can get back close to his rookie year in that regard and keep the ground balls coming, he's as sure fire of a stud as you're gonna find.

Lots of "if's" right now, and the ace tag is probably a little premature, but I definitely wouldn't count him out.

He's 25 years old and he's literally improved every single year he's been in the majors. I don't care what you call him, there's nothing not to like about him.

Baseball tonight had an interesting segment about the tweak in his delivery. It looks like he stole it from Felix Hernandez.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

A few years ago, Tim Nehring told me that Johnny Cueto was the pitcher to watch out for...this is when he was still in the minors.

Tim Nehring's looking pretty smart

A tale of two pitchers

Code:
    	        ERA     k/9	bb/9	hr/9	FIP	xFIP	GB/FB	SS%	BABIP
    Pitcher A	4.19	6.40	2.21	0.93	3.86	3.70	1.40	8.3%	0.293
    Pitcher B	1.63	6.23	2.67	0.59	3.56	3.67	1.65	7.4%	0.234
    I wonder if the Reds could have two stoppers than just one!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    He did hit 97MPH tonight...that was plenty of heat the last time I checked. I would have said the same thing a month ago, but whether it's the delivery or what, his stuff is better than I've ever seen it recently. The two keys in my opinion are groundballs and K's.

He's getting an obscene amount of groundballs so far after being a flyball pitcher early in his career. If that's not a fluke, Cueto's got a lot of success coming his way.

And the K rate is just intriguing. He's trended up in that department recently, and I have a hard time seeing him with a k/9 around 6 the way he's throwing the ball right now. If he can get back close to his rookie year in that regard and keep the ground balls coming, he's as sure fire of a stud as you're gonna find.

Lots of "if's" right now, and the ace tag is probably a little premature, but I definitely wouldn't count him out.
    My original post was 100% sarcasm, sorry if it was taken the wrong way. I agree, I think Cueto can be an ace, he does have the ability to strike a guy out when need be. But I think he has learned to use that strategically to go deeper into games. Not to mention, in his 1 playoff start last season he pitched pretty well.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    My original post was 100% sarcasm, sorry if it was taken the wrong way. I agree, I think Cueto can be an ace, he does have the ability to strike a guy out when need be. But I think he has learned to use that strategically to go deeper into games. Not to mention, in his 1 playoff start last season he pitched pretty well.
    Ohhh my bad. I've never seen anyone defend their sarcasm in such a levelheaded manner.

-The Insider-

He's not a sexy pick, but he's doing ace-type stuff this year; so we'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Johnny is a nice pitcher. He is the best starter on the team. yet he is not an ace like Hallady, Lee, Felix, etc. if the Reds want to win the World Series and not just win the NL Central they need at least one starter better than Johnny. preferably two.
    Randy Johnson didn't break into the big leagues until he was 25 and didn't really start to dominate until he was 28-29. Did you consider him an ace?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Randy Johnson didn't break into the big leagues until he was 25 and didn't really start to dominate until he was 28-29. Did you consider him an ace?
    of couse Johnson was an ace in his prime years. he will be voted into the Hall of Fame.

IMO Reds fans have their goals set too low. a couple of years ago Harang was an 'ace' because he could keep his ERA under 4. in GABP thats a nice pitcher. however its not a Jose Rijo or Cliff Lee type that can be the guy who leads the team to a world series championship. people are starting to talk like Cueto is an ace. i don't buy it. i thought this offseason that Johnny was a #3 type pitcher who could be a #2. right now he is pitching like a #2. buts thats not gonna be enough to win it all & THATS what i want as a fan.

i feel that the team needs several things. if they seriously want to compete for the championship i feel they need...
    1) a true ace
    2) probably a 2nd pitcher better than Cueto. this could be a healthy Homer
    3) upgrade at SS
    4) upgrade in LF

To me Bob blew it in late 2010 and the 2010-2011 offseason by not getting any of the 4 strong starters that were traded. the fact that 2 of them went to the Brewers hurts doubly. if the team had gotten even one of these guys & been more proactive at fixing the holes at SS/LF we could be in the drivers seat right now & talking about what we need to really set us up for a post season run. thats water under the bridge. but it doesn't change the fact that a roation led by Cueto #2, Leake #3?, Arroyo #3/4, Bailey #2/3?? (if healthy) & Volquez does not match up well with anybody come October.

He's been as good as anyone for the 53+ innings he's pitched so far. By far the best SP the Reds have and probably will all year long.

Turn Off Ads?