Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I gotta believe more moves are coming

I gotta believe more moves are coming

The Reds' 40-man roster is still showing 38 players on the Reds.com website. Even if they haven't updated it yet, this means there are still two open spots that will be filled either internally or externally.

The most obvious candidates that aren't on it are Dontrelle Willis and Dave Sappelt. Neither of which, however, are going to be added unless they're simultaneously called (Willis because he can't be optioned and Sappelt because they wouldn't use up an option this late in the year if they could avoid it).

I'd almost be surprised if Willis gets a call right now with Chapman going back up. Even if Sappelt is one of them, they're not likely to carry six outfielders, so Gomes or Lewis would have to be sent outright (Lewis could refuse and become a free agent) or Heisey would have to be optioned (which seems unlikely).

I guess my point is... it makes one wonder if they're not working on filling a spot or two from outside the organization. It very well could be that they're working on clearing a few people through option waivers before they send them down and then they'll add a couple guys to the 40-man roster and call them up. But piecing together the corresponding moves they'd have to make, I'm curious if they aren't trying to put something together with another team.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: I gotta believe more moves are coming

I really doubt that Horst was outrighted to the minors. I would think that someone would claim him. Do remember, the roster has been wrong before when it showed DT was off the roster. I still say it's at 39.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I really doubt that Horst was outrighted to the minors. I would think that someone would claim him.
    Yeah Horst is still on the roster. But when I counted earlier, it was showing just 38 players (excluding the guys on the 60-day DL).

But I just looked again, and it's now showing 39. So I'm not sure whether it was a temporary glitch earlier or what, but I'm sure it was only showing 38 (as I counted four times).

So there's only one spot now.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'm counting the roster at 39 (18 pitchers, 3 catchers, 11 infielders & 7 outfielders). Burton & Maloney are on the 60 day DL too. I see Cozart is on the 40 man, but I assume he's been there all along. Is that correct?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Yeah Horst is still on the roster. But when I counted earlier, it was showing just 38 players (excluding the guys on the 60-day DL).

But I just looked again, and it's now showing 39. So I'm not sure whether it was a temporary glitch earlier or what, but I'm sure it was only showing 38 (as I counted four times).

So there's only one spot now.
    No you're right. I looked at it last night and counted 38. Horst was not on there. So it was just another mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm counting the roster at 39 (18 pitchers, 3 catchers, 11 infielders & 7 outfielders). Burton & Maloney are on the 60 day DL too. I see Cozart is on the 40 man, but I assume he's been there all along. Is that correct?
    Correct, he's been there all along.

It is showing 39 now, but it was at 38 earlier. Not sure why, but I counted four times so it was probably just a temporary thing with the website updating or something.

-The Insider-

Correct, he's been there all along.

It is showing 39 now, but it was at 38 earlier. Not sure why, but I counted four times so it was probably just a temporary thing with the website updating or something.
    No. He wasn't on there earlier when it was 38. Anyway, it's correct now, Horst was optioned and not outrighted. Carry on

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    No. He wasn't on there earlier when it was 38. Anyway, it's correct now, Horst was optioned and not outrighted. Carry on
    He was there when I looked earlier. He wasn't the one missing, at least a half hour ago or whenever it was I looked the first time. But that wasn't his point anyhow. It was that Cozart has been on the 40-man all season.

-The Insider-

He was there when I looked earlier. He wasn't the one missing, at least a half hour ago or whenever it was I looked the first time. But that wasn't his point anyhow. It was that Cozart has been on the 40-man all season.
    I got ya. I looked late last night and Horst wasn't on there. But it doesn't matter because we won't see Cozy or Mes until September anyway lol

The error that happened with Horst also happened with Thompson. I agree with your thought, though--getting the 40-man roster down to 38 would be awfully peculiar, and I think moves involving players from outside the organization should be expected.

Time is the Revelator.

Reds just traded Steven Jackson to the Pirates..... for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post
    Reds just traded Steven Jackson to the Pirates..... for some reason.
    To make room for Wood in AAA?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    To make room for Wood in AAA?
    Him or Horst, yes.

Turn Off Ads?