Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gomes "turnaround"

Gomes "turnaround"

Now we'll hear for the next month that "Johnny has turned the corner" and they'll pont to this game no matter whether he hits .200 or not. They need to upgrade LF & SS no matter what Lewomesey and Janteria do short term.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gomes "turnaround"

Dear Jonny,

Don't hit well. Ever. Not even if it helps the Reds win.

Sincerely,
    Redszone

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Dear Jonny,

Don't hit well. Ever. Not even if it helps the Reds win.

Sincerely,
    Redszone
    Never said anything like that. I'm saying the positions should be upgraded regardless of short-term performance. He started in LF this year because of a hot month last year.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Never said anything like that. I'm saying the positions should be upgraded regardless of short-term performance.
    I don't think anyone thinks that one game means anything.

But he has improved his game since being benched in Cleveland. Before tonight, his line has been .389/.455/.528 in 44 PAs since the benching. OPS is likely now over 1.000.

Cincy likely has limited bullets in the way of prospects and money and could use some help at other positions as well. We'll probably see what Cozart can do, but I'd feel much better going into the stretch with the candidates we have in LF than the ones we have at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I don't think anyone thinks that one game means anything.

But he has improved his game since being benched in Cleveland. Before tonight, his line has been .389/.455/.528 in 44 PAs since the benching. OPS is likely now over 1.000.

Cincy likely has limited bullets in the way of prospects and money and could use some help at other positions as well. We'll probably see what Cozart can do, but I'd feel much better going into the stretch with the candidates we have in LF than the ones we have at SS.
    It is because since then he has been used off the bench in a spot starting role facing pitchers he can be successful against. Will he be successful against most RHP, no. Will he be successful against the Brian Gordon's and Doug Davis's of the world, yes...and he always has been.

Some reason just because he was been used out of role as a starting OF, most cannot see that he can actually supply value as a backup LF'er and pinch hitter off the bench.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    It is because since then he has been used off the bench in a spot starting role facing pitchers he can be successful against. Will he be successful against most RHP, no. Will he be successful against the Brian Gordon's and Doug Davis's of the world, yes...and he always has been.

Some reason just because he was been used out of role as a starting OF, most cannot see that he can actually supply value as a backup LF'er and pinch hitter off the bench.
    Agreed. I have no problem with Gomes as a 4th OFer and primary RH bench bat. Heisey, with his better glove and ability to play all three OF sports is better suited to that role though, IMO. The Reds don't have a starting LFer on the roster IMO, just reserves filling the role.

Agreed. I have no problem with Gomes as a 4th OFer and primary RH bench bat. Heisey, with his better glove and ability to play all three OF sports is better suited to that role though, IMO. The Reds don't have a starting LFer on the roster IMO, just reserves filling the role.
    Agreed, it is like we have three pieces to three different puzzles. There are three guys who can contribute value, but no clear way to fit them in together.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Am I the only one that thinks Heisey should be the starting LFer? Lets see what this young kid can bring to the table being a everyday starter with enough atbats ofcourse.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 06-23-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Agreed, it is like we have three pieces to three different puzzles. There are three guys who can contribute value, but no clear way to fit them in together.
    A good manager can figure this kind of problem out.Not that Dusty isn't a good manager because I think he has started handling who gets the playing time in LF much better lately.I'm almost to the point that I don't worry about who's starting out there.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Heisey should be the starting LFer? Lets see what this young kid can bring to the table being a everyday starter with enough atbats ofcourse.
    Heisey is alright as a 4th OFer and is probably a better soution than Gomes or Lewis long-term, but this team really needs to add an OF bat with enought pop to fit in the 4 or 5 hole and allow Rolen to move down. As much as I'd like to see the Reds add a bat like Kemp to the meat of the order, I'm not sure that this FO will make such a move though.

Even if they don't, I'm not convinced Heisey is the answer though. I just get the feeling that an extend trial will just expose flaws. I think I'd rather try Sappelt at the top of the order with Stubbs or Phillips moving down the order.

Gomes has a .489 OBP and .595 SLG against left-handed pitchers -- making him by far the Reds' most lethal weapon facing southpaws. Only Bruce comes close to matching Gomes, given Bruce's .621 SLG against LHP along with a .378 OBP in those situations.

Gomes needs to be used correctly -- in a platoon where he primarily faces LHP -- while Heisey and Lewis go up against the righties. Gomes' splits against RHP -- a .294 OBP and .373 SLG this season -- are clear and dramatic evidence that he's not suited for everyday play, especially when coupled with his defense.

A lot of the carping against Gomes on Redszone is pretty tedious and misdirected, if you ask me. Play him in the proper situations and he can excel. Play him in the wrong situations and the warts are exposed. Dusty should have learned that by now and not waited so long this summer to work Heisey and Lewis into the LF mix.

Long-term, we do need to find a more consistent player to man LF, either internally within our system or via a trade. Until then, we can get the job covered by Gomes, Heisey and Lewis if they are played when they have the best chances to succeed, and held in reserve when they are more likely to fail.

Gomes has been hitting the ball hard of late and I'm happy for him. Jonny has some value, it's just not as an everyday OFer.

i'm living ground hog day I suppose...everyday I wake up to the same Gomes/Heisey thread...I think I'll just merge all of them into 1 and create the largest threadbeast the world has ever seen

In the same stretch he also had multi hit games in games started by Lowe, Garza and Bumgartner. He hasn't been used solely against bums in this stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Heisey is good for a splash every now and again. We had a thread like this 2 weeks ago after he took Kuroda yard. There was a lovefest thread started and then he disappeared for 2 weeks. It's obvious that Heisey struggles stringing together some solid starts. I am sure he has earned a few more starts, hopefully he can get something going.

Turn Off Ads?