I figured it would be nice to revisit the 1st round of the ML Draft last year to see where the players are already and how they are doing in relation to their Draft status.
1) Was- Bryce Harper - High A - Batting .330 with a 1.014 OPS in 227 AB's with 14 HR's and 13 SB's. Him and Mike Trout should have an interesting dual for MiLB Player of the year.
2) Pit- James Taillon - Low A - 2-1 with a 3.16 ERA in 10 starts. given up as many BB's as HR's (4). Pirates keeping the workload light on this TOR arm.
3) Bal - Manuel Machado - High A - OPSing .859 as a 18 yr old in Carolina League. BB to K ratio is 1:1. Looks promising so far. Baltimore drafts so well.
4) KC - Christian Colon - AA - The guy the Royals took over Grandal. (Don't they need a young catcher?) OPSing .684, but, has a 27 to 23 BB to K ratio. Has only 11 XBH in 238 AB's. Has trouble with LHP so far with a .482 OPS.
5) Cle - Drew Pomeranz - High A - Flat out dominating his competition. 1.93 ERA in 12 starts with a 11.43 K's per 9. Being a LHP makes him all the more valuable.
6) Ari - Barret Loux - High A - Had the injury and Arizona got the exemption and allowed him to be a FA. Signed with Texas as a FA. Arizona shoulda kept the kid. 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA, 74 K's in 67 IP with a measly 2 HR allowed.
7) NYM - Matthew Harvey - AA- This was the guy I just loved coming outta college. Just screamed TOR arm. His numbers are showing just that. 8-2 with a 2.37 ERA in 14 starts. 76 IP with a 11.13 K per 9 ratio. He might see a start or 2 in the Majors late September.
8) Hou - Delino DeShields Jr - Low A - A pick that had alot of people scratching their heads. Seemed like a signablity pick. Has been a struggle so far. .197 BA, .336 SLG % and a .624 OPS. Batting .168 vs RHP.
9) SD - Karsten Whitson - Unsigned
10) Oak - Michael Choice - High A - Showing alot of power (16 HR's / 34 XBH) so far and can take a walk, 36 in 262 AB's. HAs trouble with contact 82 K's which is hurting his BA .248.
11) Tor - Deck McGuire - High A - Tall pitching prospect I heard alot about on here last year. Has solid numbers, 2.89 ERA, 74 K's in 74 IP and a .228 BAA.
12) Cin - Yasmani Grandal - AA - Slid a long way to the Reds last year. Took a ML Deal to keep him from returning to Miami. Has put up great numbers in the Cal League. .410 OBP / .510 SLG%... Switch hitter who is putting up a .900 OPS from both sides of the plate. Promoted today to AA.
13) CWS - Chris Sale - Majors - Made it to the Majors last season and dominated. Having a rougher time around this year. Not sure if he is the closer of the future with that team or a MOR Arm.
14) Mil - Dylan Covey - Unsigned
15) Tex - Jacob Skole - Low A - Has ok numbers .710 OPS, .263 BA... Not hitting for any power, (11 XBH in 209 PA) Walks a ton. (34 BB's) Not really speedy 9 SB in 15 Attempts with 85 opportunities.
16) ChC- Hayden Simpson - Low A - Head scratcher #2 last year. No one really had this guy anywhere near the 1st Round. His numbers show why. 5.33 ERA in 14 starts, 54 IP, 60 Hits, 9 HR Allowed, 24 BB's and 44 K's.
17) TB - Joshua Sale - Rookie - Season just started. 1-6 with 3 K's so far.
18) LAA - Kaleb Cowart - Rookie - Season just started 5 for 9 with 5 RBI so far.
19) Hou - Michael Foltynewic - Low A - Houston might have the worst Minor League system in baseball and their second pick of this draft is not helping matters. 4.54 ERA in 14 starts, 75 IP 30 BB's 40 K's .285 BAA.
20) Bos - Kolrin Vitek - High A - .684 OPS and 0 HR in 250 AB's. 6 for his last 35. (.171 BA / .437 OPS)
21) Min - Alex Wimmers - High A - Walked the first 6 batters he faced this year. Had a groin injury that destroyed his mechanics. May never recover.
22) Tex - Kellin Deglan - Low A - A LHH Catcher who is barely 19 has a .658 OPS over all but .732 vs RHP and .911 in his last 10 games. Have a strong feeling about this kid in time.
23) Flo - Christian Yelich - Low A - LHH who is struggling against LHP. Posting a overall .753 OPS but .826 vs RHP.
24) SF - Gary Brown - High A - Posting all around solid numbers in the hitter friendly league. .398 OBP, 32 SB's a .876 OPS. Destroys LHP 1.158 OPS in 47 AB's.
25) StL- Zach Cox - AA - Meh. Had ok #'s in High A. .819 OPS, only 17 XBH in 266 AB's overall. Not showing a CIF kinda bat.
26) Col - Kyle Parker - Low A - Not sure he is fully committed to be a baseball player yet. Numbers have slipped lately. (.158 BA / .396 OPS last 38 AB's) Has a big arm, power potential though.
27) Phi - Jessie Biddle - Low A - LH High School pitcher who has had control issues. (36 BB in 67 IP) But has only given up 2 HR's and allowing a .232 BAA.
28) LAD - Zach Lee - Low A - Got lots of cash to leave football. Put up great numbers until he was shut down in early May. (6 Starts 30.2 IP 28 K 1.17 ERA) Shut down for 4 weeks and has not been as affective. (4 Starts 13.2 IP 13 K 9.88 ERA)
29) LAA - Cameron Bedrosian - Rookie - Has not pitch this year yet.
30) LAA - Chevy Clarke - Rookie - 3 for his first 8.
31) TB - Justin O'Conner - Rookie -1 for his forst 8 with 5 K's
32) NYY - Cito Culver - Rookie - 2 for his first 21. With a .304 OPS. But he is a Yankee prospect so that means he should make ESPN's top 25 prospects list.
Some Supplemental picks of note.
36) Bos - Bryce Brentz - High A - Alot of posters loved this guy. SLG % of .652 on the year with a 1.048 OPS. 29 XBH in 198 AB's.
43) Sea - Taijuan Walker - Low A - Nice looking numbers for a 18 year old in the Midwest league. 2.40 ERA in 9 starts, 45 IP 56 K 16 BB's .220 BAA 1 HR Allowed an almost a 2.50 to 1 GB:FB ratio.
48) Det - Chance Ruffin - AA - A guy that was rumored to goto the Reds at 12 and had the board all a panic. 2.25 ERA in 29 Appearances, 40 K's in 32 IP and a .186 BAA. Extreme flyball pitcher.
49) Tex - Michael Olt - High A - I would have loved to see him slip to the Reds at 62. On the DL now but has put up solid overall #'s - .395 OBP / .508 SLG%. 10 HR in 189 BA's with 12 2B's
So there it is. If you guys want every week or so I can go back a year to look at past drafts. Impact players in later rounds and guys the Reds missed on and glad they missed on. Just let me know.