Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not sold on the Pirates

Re: I'm not sold on the Pirates

Do NOT take them lightly. They will be nipping at us all year. In the great philosophy of our own Walter, they has pitching which is all that matters. To heck with hitting. Seems to be a trend.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the Pirates continue to be outscored by their opponents, they will not be in the race all year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And maybe no one else is sold on them either...

But they have gotten several mentions on here the past few weeks in regards to the fact that they are sneaking up on the Reds and the other NL Central leaders.

I just expect that they will fade away over the next month. Not to say that they are not much improved and are a team on the rise. Just saying I don't believe they are long term contenders this season.
    I'm not sold on the Reds with their current roster. I think the Central is definitely up for grabs.

Pirates aren't great, but neither are the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm not sold on the Reds with their current roster. I think the Central is definitely up for grabs.

Pirates aren't great, but neither are the Reds.
    But which team has better talent day to day that is likely sustainable? I'd guess if you HAD to make a wager instead of this hedge, you'd put your money on the Reds, regardless of fan loyalty.

Personally, my scoreboard watching is still on the Cards and Brewers because those are the only squads in our division that have a chance for a 85 + win season. And the Brewers are becoming less worrisome.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    But which team has better talent day to day that is likely sustainable? I'd guess if you HAD to make a wager instead of this hedge, you'd put your money on the Reds, regardless of fan loyalty.

Personally, my scoreboard watching is still on the Cards and Brewers because those are the only squads in our division that have a chance for a 85 + win season. And the Brewers are becoming less worrisome.
    I'd put my money on the Reds simply because a few guys are underachieving and very few are overachieving the career numbers.

But the roster and lineup construction is still a concern. The underachieving, if it continues, is a concern.

Managing, at times, is still a concern.

I am watching the Pirates, simply because they're in 2nd place and the Reds seem to struggle a bit against them for some odd reason.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If the Pirates continue to be outscored by their opponents, they will not be in the race all year.
    Since we moved into 1st place back on May 24th. The Pirates have gone 11-3 and have moved their run differential from -34 to -18. Personally, I don't take that lightly.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Since we moved into 1st place back on May 24th. The Pirates have gone 11-3 and have moved their run differential from -34 to -18. Personally, I don't take that lightly.

The Pirates are just as likely to go 3-11 in their next 14.

Brewers are more worrisome that the Pirates.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

If you say so. Agree to disagree.

*heads back to watching the Braves/Blue Jays game* Julio Teheran's MLB debut. Kid looks scary good.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

The Pirates remind me of the Reds in 2006, they were 36-26 six years ago today. They even had a +26 run differential, they promptly went 9-16 in their next 25 games, with a -15 RD at the end of that run.

If you say so. Agree to disagree.

*heads back to watching the Braves/Blue Jays game* Julio Teheran's MLB debut. Kid looks scary good.
    Season debut. He pitched in five games for the Braves last season.

Well, you kind of have to, don't you? Unless the losses were all blowouts. I'll take them seriously when they get at least three more hitters to go with McCutcheon. Until then, their lack of overall talent on the roster will catch up with them, either through injury or performance. They are looking like "Pyrite of the Year" team two years running.

Pyrite, Pirates....yea I see what I did there.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I personally don't read in to streaks with arbitrarily selected endpoints. THere's no reason to believe that their +16 over the last two weeks is a better indicator of the quality of the team than the -34 they put up over the prior 7 weeks.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Regardless of whether they sustain it, the Pirates are a great story. They're clearly trending in the right direction, not to be taken lightly anymore. When a few more of their top prospects come up in the next year or two, they're going to be even tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Regardless of whether they sustain it, the Pirates are a great story.
    19 years of losing, followed by 60 games of outplaying pythag. I've heard better stories

You make a good point though, they are getting better as a franchise in general. I just don't see any reason to anoint them the toast of baseball yet.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?