Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not sold on the Pirates

Re: I'm not sold on the Pirates

Well the Pirates continue to roll and I think its pretty clear they aren't going away. They stack
    up with the Reds very favorably from top to bottom in my opinion. Should be an interesting second half of the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Why didn't they call up Starling Marte?
    I don't know. But in response to Tabata's D, Gorkys is an elite defender. If it's ever Cutch, Gorkys, Marte in one OF, it may be the best OF seen in a LONG time.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Are you talking about those first place Pirates?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Are you talking about those first place Pirates?
    To be fair to the Reds. They are on a west coast swing and the Pirates are playing the astros. The Reds play the Padres so lets hope the hitting wakes up and gets a little run going.

The Pirates were in first place as late as July 25th last season. While I will admit they shouldn't be overlooked, it's not time to panic about them just yet.

As Mick Jagger once said, tiiiiiiime is on our side. Yes it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Good grief, their schedule this month is soft. They get the Giants this weekend, and then no one over .500 until they play the Reds the first week in August.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

"So Fla Red"

Pirates have an unbelieveable and unsustainable 2.43 home ERA. 26-13 record at home. (Reds are 3.56 with a 23-16)

The road ERA is 4.65 which should regress down as the year goes along (The Reds road ERA is a superb 3.37, yet only 21-21 on the season which may come back to bit us in the butt...).

The Reds staff is good both home and away - the stats are amazingly consistent.

The Pirates are Bob-Gibson ERA like at home and a half run below league average on the road. The BAA at home is .218 despite below league average 2.48 K/BB (12th) and 6.79 K/9IP (dead last) ratios -- a 145 DIPS ERA. Reds are superb with a 3.18 K/BB (2nd) and 7.93 K/9IP (6th) at home.

I think that bodes much better for the Reds going forward athough I consider the Pirates very legit as a divisional threat.

The Pirates are the only NL Central team with a winning record (19-14) in 1-run games. They have the second-best winning percentage in the NL in 1-run games.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Pirates have an unbelieveable and unsustainable 2.43 home ERA. 26-13 record at home. (Reds are 3.56 with a 23-16)

The road ERA is 4.65 which should regress down as the year goes along (The Reds road ERA is a superb 3.37, yet only 21-21 on the season which may come back to bit us in the butt...).

The Reds staff is good both home and away - the stats are amazingly consistent.

The Pirates are Bob-Gibson ERA like at home and a half run below league average on the road. The BAA at home is .218 despite below league average 2.48 K/BB (12th) and 6.79 K/9IP (dead last) ratios -- a 145 DIPS ERA. Reds are superb with a 3.18 K/BB (2nd) and 7.93 K/9IP (6th) at home.

I think that bodes much better for the Reds going forward athough I consider the Pirates very legit as a divisional threat.
    You pre-empted me with this fine post.

If you look at the overall numbers, the Reds are a better hitting, pitching and fielding team than the Pirates. Reds lead overall in all three departments.

As a number of posters have noted, there is a big difference in one-run games in favor of the Bucs.

But, as you indicate, the Bucs have had more of a home field advantage based on their 2.43 ERA at home.

The Reds home OPS on offense is .786, the Pirates only .672. But on the mound, the Pirates home edge is 2.43 ERA v. Reds' home ERA of 3.56.

Bucs have already finished most of their west coast games, although they do have a lot of road games in the weeks after the break and they do go to San Diego in August. In August, the Bucs play four at home against each of the Dodgers and DBacks and have home and home series with the Cards. Reds have nine games left with the Bucs, six in Cincy.

It would seem that the Bucs pitching at home and their success in one-run games has given them their boost. Let's see if those two areas normalize for them.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you look at the overall numbers, the Reds are a better hitting, pitching and fielding team than the Pirates. Reds lead overall in all three departments.
    That must be why Dusty is on the hot seat.

I wonder if Walt is going to try and trade for Clint Hurdle?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=17583

The Pirates are 23rd among the 30 major-league clubs in scoring with a 3.95 runs a game average. Center fielder Andrew McCutchen is spearheading the attack with a .356 TAv.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1zmiFysNW

No Pirates team has hit worse than this one (.241) since the 1952 outfit that lost 112 games, and yet halfway through the season Pittsburgh is a legitimate contender.

I think its because they are getting some flash power at the right moments, almost incredibly lucky moments, and their relief pitching is so good they only have to be tied or close to have a legitimate shot late in the game. Their June power was record setting and for the Pirates of the Lumber Company fame that tells you they were pretty hot with the long ball.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think its because they are getting some flash power at the right moments, almost incredibly lucky moments, and their relief pitching is so good they only have to be tied or close to have a legitimate shot late in the game. Their June power was record setting and for the Pirates of the Lumber Company fame that tells you they were pretty hot with the long ball.
    All of which tells me their June surge is completely unsustainable. But we will see, I'm not completely counting them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    All of which tells me their June surge is completely unsustainable. But we will see, I'm not completely counting them out.
    I think so, too. Especially the power numbers - outside McCutcheon they really don't have legitimate power hitters (well the kid on third if he's gotten his swing fixed which I doubt) - its kinda spread out among all their hitters. I don't see that continuing. But, and I forget who said it, Stengel maybe?

"Pitching don't slump"

"So Fla Red"

Guess that 2.43 home ERA might actually go down to the mid 2.3's tonight. Man they are on a roll right now channeling their inner Steelers or something...

Turn Off Ads?