Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave Cameron: Reds need to go big or go home

Dave Cameron: Reds need to go big or go home

Nice piece from Dave Cameron on the Reds. He thinks they should go after Jose Reyes or a J.J. Hardy/Jeremy Guthrie package.

No team in baseball, however, is in a better position to make a blockbuster, season-altering trade than the Reds. The Reds have more talent in Triple-A than several teams do in the Majors, and they have depth on the Major League roster they can move as well. Having multiple interesting young players at every position is nice, but it’s time for the Reds to turn some of that excess into the best big league player(s) they can acquire.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ig-or-go-home/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Re: Dave Cameron: Reds need to go big or go home

This is pretty much how I have felt since the end of last year. Call me a pessimist, but the Cincinnati Reds in my lifetime have been pretty bad. The way I see it they have a small window (3-4 years) to win a World Series. Words can not express how disappointed I will be if they don't give it their best effort and with each new season comes new injuries, failures, etc. You aren't guaranteed to be in this position next year.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

How's the attendance compared to '10? Phil Castellini said last season that the fans needed to show up more than they were at the time if they wanted the team to be able to afford a big FA.

If the money's not there, we shouldn't expect a deal.

Nice article. Can't say I disagree with any of it, either. Here's to hoping the Reds' brass feels the same way.

-Matt

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Don't get Reyes without getting Beltran too. Actually I would prefer Beltran first and Reyes if he can be gotten.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The article is how I think a lot of people here feel.

And there will be more guys available than just Reyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    How's the attendance compared to '10? Phil Castellini said last season that the fans needed to show up more than they were at the time if they wanted the team to be able to afford a big FA.

If the money's not there, we shouldn't expect a deal.
    If the money's not there, then the Reds should promote its very best AAA guys to fill holes on the major league team.

People, myself included, are frustrated by the inactivity. If not trades, then there should be promotions.

Cameron doesn't mention that Reyes would be a three month rental, and a huge payroll increase. I have no problem with a deal like that to get Reyes if I thought the Reds could sign him to an extension. But that ain't happening.

I agree with the concept, it is time to cash in on some of these prospects, and I am confident that improvements will be made. But I would much rather use those guys to get a solid #1 or an above average LF.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cameron doesn't mention that Reyes would be a three month rental, and a huge payroll increase. I have no problem with a deal like that to get Reyes if I thought the Reds could sign him to an extension. But that ain't happening.

I agree with the concept, it is time to cash in on some of these prospects, and I am confident that improvements will be made. But I would much rather use those guys to get a solid #1 or an above average LF.
    A solid #1 isn't available.

Reyes probably is.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Cruisin' for trouble

If the Twins have a cold couple of weeks, I'd like to see the Reds make a play for Liriano.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the money's not there, then the Reds should promote its very best AAA guys to fill holes on the major league team.

People, myself included, are frustrated by the inactivity. If not trades, then there should be promotions.
    Starting arb clocks prematurely is not a strategy for long-term success.

Reyes has already said he won't sign an extension during the regular season. No good reason to trade three talented prospects for a rental. Just wait until the offseason and we can sign him along with everyone else.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 06-24-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Reyes agent said it-not Reyes

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Starting arb clocks prematurely is not a strategy for long-term success.
    Leaving guys at AAA until they lose their prospect status is not a strategy for long-term success.

I, for one, appreciate the patience of Walt and Dusty. I think we all agree that the team is set up and gearing towards sustainable success over a long period of time. Or at least sustainable competitiveness. I think they're achieving that.

Let's not get delusional and act like the Reds could bring Cozart up, play him every day at SS and bat him in the four hole. No need to 'go big or go home'. The Brewers decided to do it, but the Reds aren't in that position. I can't see any need to unload prospects for a few months of an average at best starting pitcher and a shortstop playing over his head. I trust Walt to make the right move if it comes along for the betterment of the team in the short-term and the long-term.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

If Castellini wants more people at games, his team needs to start playing better at home in particular, and be a little more exciting offensively.

Turn Off Ads?