Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    The AZL Reds lead 5-1 in the fourth. Daniel Tuttle: 4 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.

    3B Juan Perez (26th round) is 3 for 3.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    A guy named Fray Sosa is 2 for 2 for the AZL Reds as the DH. He's listed as a catcher. I'd never heard of him, but found this:

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...ional-contract

  4. #18
    Member muddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Posts
    1,966

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Carolina pretty much replicated the opening game of the season last night. DJ gave up five earned runs in the ninth in that one to blow the lead and the game. Bell had just started trusting Joseph with the ninth innning recently in anything close. This has to be a huge setback for DJ and the team.

    Awesome job, again, by Travis Webb. Really hope the team responds tonight.
    Last edited by muddie; 06-25-2011 at 05:18 AM.

  5. #19
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    You have to wonder what has gotten into Webb. Through his first 27 innings of 2011, he issued 21 walks. In the last 20 innings, he has issued just 1 walk, and that was a full month ago. Walks have always been a problem with him (4.6 BB/9IP for his career), so maybe there was a major change in his approach, confidence, pitching arsenal, and/or mechanics.

  6. #20
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,869

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You have to wonder what has gotten into Webb. Through his first 27 innings of 2011, he issued 21 walks. In the last 20 innings, he has issued just 1 walk, and that was a full month ago. Walks have always been a problem with him (4.6 BB/9IP for his career), so maybe there was a major change in his approach, confidence, pitching arsenal, and/or mechanics.
    I think it's simply him becoming a reliever. Out of the pen his fastball now sits at 90 or 91 and he has a good tempo.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,909

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Carolina pretty much replicated the opening game of the season last night. DJ gave up five earned runs in the ninth in that one to blow the lead and the game. Bell had just started trusting Joseph with the ninth innning recently in anything close. This has to be a huge setback for DJ and the team.

    Awesome job, again, by Travis Webb. Really hope the team responds tonight.
    Was he falling behind? Was his best pitch not working?

  8. #22
    Bats fan extraordinaire!
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    98

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Not one of Dontrelle's best performances, but the Bats pull out a good win. 3 HR's never hurt either. Hermida just keeps getting the job done. I know he had a chance with the Reds this year already and didn't perform... but I have to wonder if he couldn't outproduce Gomes/Lewis.

    of course I realize any of the above mentioned cats are just fillers until Sappelt hits the scene.

  9. #23
    Bats fan extraordinaire!
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    98

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    A guy named Fray Sosa is 2 for 2 for the AZL Reds as the DH. He's listed as a catcher. I'd never heard of him, but found this:

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...ional-contract

    Good read.... where on earth did you dig that article up at? Nice work!

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    Good read.... where on earth did you dig that article up at? Nice work!
    Just a quickie google. Thanks.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,508

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    hows Hermida's lf? Im guessin if he played everyday in Cincinnati he could hit atleast .239?

  12. #26
    Bats fan extraordinaire!
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    98

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    hows Hermida's lf? Im guessin if he played everyday in Cincinnati he could hit atleast .239?
    He recently started a game in LF for the Bats, which was the first time all season he's played LF. He's started 46 games in RF and I'd call him average to above average defensively. Since we'd be comparing him to Gomes I'd expect an upgrade both offensively and defensively.

  13. #27
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,869

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Hermida was drafted as a right fielder with the Marlins and played there his entire professional career until his last year with Florida, when they moved him to left.

  14. #28
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,869

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Was he falling behind? Was his best pitch not working?
    I was there. DJ was all over the place. He could not throw a strike at all, once throwing five or six straight balls.

  15. #29
    Member muddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Posts
    1,966

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You have to wonder what has gotten into Webb. Through his first 27 innings of 2011, he issued 21 walks. In the last 20 innings, he has issued just 1 walk, and that was a full month ago. Walks have always been a problem with him (4.6 BB/9IP for his career), so maybe there was a major change in his approach, confidence, pitching arsenal, and/or mechanics.
    Per Webb's explanation paraphrased:

    He now feels as though he doesn't have to pace himself or conserve the way he did as a starter when he was expected to go six or seven innings. To some degree, the mental part of being a starter wasn't working for him. In relief, he can go out and know that he has the gas and stamina to go two innings or so with no problems. He is more relaxed in this role as opposed to starting. Your mention of confidence and pitching arsenel are in line with his explanation.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,909

    Re: Friday June 24, 2011 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Per Webb's explanation paraphrased:

    He now feels as though he doesn't have to pace himself or conserve the way he did as a starter when he was expected to go six or seven innings. To some degree, the mental part of being a starter wasn't working for him. In relief, he can go out and know that he has the gas and stamina to go two innings or so with no problems. He is more relaxed in this role as opposed to starting. Your mention of confidence and pitching arsenel are in line with his explanation.
    Good to hear the Reds are developing relief pitchers who can go more than 1 inning at a time only. Maybe that can eliminate the need for an extra pitcher on the squad when you can have a couple of guys who can go 2 every other day or 3.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25