Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Gomes.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Back in the Burg, Ohio.
    Posts
    1,331

    Gomes.

    I know there's always a lot of people calling for Gomes' head when he was abysmal. I mean there was one EVERY day when he was penciled into the lineup. But I have not seen one. NOT ONE thread dedicated for how he's turned it around. He's hitting .351 this month, 3 HRs, OBP is .444, and slugging .622.

    Now I'm not calling for him to make the All-Star team. But damn, can't a guy get a little appreciation? I mean most of you guys are quick to jump on him when he's in a slump. Where's his praise at now?

    And I didn't even mention his defense this year. He's been above average this year.
    Let's make some noise!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    961

    Re: Gomes.

    He's been getting it together when we need it most, and improving previously poor areas of his game. I give him a lot of credit for that. He may not have the skill to be the everyday LF like Dusty wants, but he's a great guy to have on the ballclub.

  4. #3
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Gomes.

    I like the guy as a person and a pinch hitter. And I hoped at the beginning of the season he would do well. I'm definitely not rooting against the guy. BUT........when a guy can't hit his weight for 2 months, and it's clearly hurting the team, and the team has better options but refuses to go with them..........I'm not happy about it. Still doesn't mean I was rooting against Jonny.

    I'm happy Jonny has turned it around and it does seem like his defense has improved a bit. BUT.........Heisey surely will give you the same amount of power and batting average ATLEAST as Gomes if given the chance..........and Heisey brings better defense, more speed, and being young has a higher upside. Gomes has a track record, and right now he's hit one of those hot streaks. The question is what happens when Gomes hot streak ends and he struggles the rest of the season? Will Dusty leave him in to hurt the lineup or replace him?

    I hope Gomes continues to do well. But I still think we have a better option in Heisey. And I'd like to see him given a chance.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    252

    Re: Gomes.

    Because everyone knows he's going to have a month long stretch like this, but that doesn't make up for the other 5 months when he is almost complete and total dreck.

    He should not be playing every day, period.

  6. #5
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Gomes.

    Let him start against lefties and some meatball righties, pinch hit or pinch run. Do not play him everyday. I would think a super-intelligent-wins-wherever-he-goes manager like Dusty Baker could figure that out. Maybe he finally has. We can only hope.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Grantham, PA
    Posts
    281

    Re: Gomes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I know there's always a lot of people calling for Gomes' head when he was abysmal. I mean there was one EVERY day when he was penciled into the lineup. But I have not seen one. NOT ONE thread dedicated for how he's turned it around. He's hitting .351 this month, 3 HRs, OBP is .444, and slugging .622.

    Now I'm not calling for him to make the All-Star team. But damn, can't a guy get a little appreciation? I mean most of you guys are quick to jump on him when he's in a slump. Where's his praise at now?

    And I didn't even mention his defense this year. He's been above average this year.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I was about to applaud this post, because Gomes is swinging the bat better and probably deserves to be recognized. Having said that Gomes has only had 40 ABs this month his avg is .325 after his 0-3 today. He has been playing primarily against lefties. Gomes's overall avg. is .221. Gomes has not been above average this year.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Back in the Burg, Ohio.
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Gomes.

    Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I was about to applaud this post, because Gomes is swinging the bat better and probably deserves to be recognized. Having said that Gomes has only had 40 ABs this month his avg is .325 after his 0-3 today. He has been playing primarily against lefties. Gomes's overall avg. is .221. Gomes has not been above average this year.

    That was about his defense this year. He's not a black hole, he's been making some GREAT plays this year, and making the routine ones as well.
    Let's make some noise!

  9. #8
    Bats fan extraordinaire!
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    98

    Re: Gomes.

    In the correct role Gomes is a valuable guy to have on the team. The everyday LF'er is NOT the correct role.

  10. #9
    Member wlf WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    huntington,wv
    Posts
    607

    Re: Gomes.

    I think I read or heard somewhere that LF for the Reds was 2nd in NL in RBIs.I think that included Heisey playing in CF too.Still surprised me.Everybody needs to root for Bailey and Volquez,they're the keys to this teams success.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,830

    Re: Gomes.

    He's been playing well, even defensively he's been really good this year. We have a lot of guys that go really hot and then really cold on this team so it makes it frustrating to watch, but when Gomes has it going I like to see him in the lineup.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: Gomes.

    Good for Jonny, he's on a hot streak.

    But he cannot be counted on for a whole season. He needs to be the 4th or 5th outfielder.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    389

    Re: Gomes.

    Gomes has never been as bad as Redszone posters go on and on about. Even last year he was an AVERAGE LF'r. Not a below average, and certainly not a terrible LF'r. He OPS's around .800. He hits 20 HR's and has a knack for driving in runs. His defense is better this year.

    They key with Gomes is to play him mostly against LHP. He has always hit well against lefties.

    Heisey has also made a case for himself, but for whatever reason the Reds don't see him as an every day player. I really think in LF Gomes, Heisey and Lewis are about equal and it wouldn't matter that much if one was the every day LF'r---- versus using them alternating.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    333

    Re: Gomes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    Heisey has also made a case for himself, but for whatever reason the Reds don't see him as an every day player. I really think in LF Gomes, Heisey and Lewis are about equal and it wouldn't matter that much if one was the every day LF'r---- versus using them alternating.
    Agreed. Each has their positives and negatives, and none of them really stands out from the others. I think Heisey has the potential to have the best career out of the 3 though. Unfortunately, our 3 LFs, which have been an issue much of this year, are currently outproducing CF and RF by a wide margin...

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: Gomes.

    This is how he SHOULD be used...in a platoon situation. As an everyday player he just puts way to much pressure on himself.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati/Athens
    Posts
    649

    Re: Gomes.

    Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    This is how he SHOULD be used...in a platoon situation. As an everyday player he just puts way to much pressure on himself.
    and exposes the fact that he is not an every day player. He is valuable as he is used now.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25