Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phipps -- say what?

Phipps -- say what?

Can any of our great Mudcats followers give us a better understanding of what is going on with Denis Phipps?

And beyond the apparent breakout at the plate, is he a good defender in CF? How about baserunning?

Thanks for the closeup perspective!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phipps -- say what?

I know Phipps is spending additional time with Ryan Jackson, the Mudcats batting coach. He is a better hitter than what he was the beginning of the year. He's over his head right now and you know he will come back to earth. If he could stay in the .280-.310 range he would be what this team needs. I think he is really working to make up for the first part of the season and is a really big surprise now.
    I would rate him average in the field and probably a tad below average base runner. He is not gifted with speed.

-The Insider-

He has a great arm (as does Felix Perez) but Phipps is more suited in right because he cannot cover as much ground as needed in center.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Would anyone even consider Phipps a prospect? He is 25 years old and hasn't done much outside of this recent tear. Is his ceiling a 5th outfielder on a major league team? I have never seen him play and his career stats do not look good.

-The Insider-

He's never put up numbers for a full season. He's showing what he can do during this big stretch, it's just which Phipps is he? This is his seventh year of pro ball. Maybe he's a late bloomer and is figuring it out right before us, but maybe not. And his ceiling right now is what you said, a fourth or fifth outfielder.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Phipps didn't grow up playing baseball and has always been considered to be quite toolsy but pretty raw. Maybe the light just finally clicked like it does with some guys.

The second half of this season should go a long way in answering the questions posed about this guy. He has set himself up nicely in the past month and it is up to him to prove he's for real at this point. Maybe we're all lucky and he is a late bloomer as has been suggested.

Denis Phipps selected Southern League Hitter of the Week for June 20-26. Very well deserved.

Watched him play against the TN Smokies tonight outside of Knoxville. I had to leave in the fifth because my daughter was getting restless... But Phipps had a HR and a triple.

He came off as the second most impressive player on the field behind Grandal (HARD single off the wall in right, a 3RBI double, and a bullet right at the 3RD baseman). It was a 10-7 game when we left... so the offense might have been inflated by the arms on the mound. Both guys looked pretty good though.

For the second time in four weeks Denis Phipps has been named the Southern League's hitter of the week! Neftali Soto was the hitter of the week last week so that makes three of the last four weeks the Mudcats have had the hitter of the week.

Had to bump this because this guy's breakout will not quit.

Now at .361/.398/.629/1.027 in AAA.

He's still got some raw in him, but the seemless transition to AAA, plus a few scattered comments over the years about his ceiling, makes me wonder whether Phipps could be a better player long-term than Stubbs. At this point, I'd think he'd be giving the organization pause in its thinking about giving Stubbs a long-term deal.

The little video I can find of him shows a nice RH line-drive hack that generates good backspin. I'd be interested in any first-hand impressions from folks who have seen him play.

In terms of production, Phipps appears to be this year's Sappelt. Of course, there are significant differences. Sappelt's season was continuous. Phipps' is a result of a monstrous, protracted run after a very lackluster start. Sappelt had a history of hitting. Phipps doesn't. In the outfield, Sappelt is all speed, no arm. Phipps is adequate speed (from what I can glean) and fabulous arm. But the breakout factor is similar.

I'm not sure, though, about the Stubbs question. I'm not the biggest Stubbs fan--I think his trade value may be greater than his field value--but I'd be nervous about anointing Phipps at this stage. Tough call. On the other hand, the odds of replacing Stubbs' contribution with some combination of Sappelt, Heisey and Phipps seem pretty dang solid. Too bad they're all right-handed hitters.

I'm not sure, though, about the Stubbs question. I'm not the biggest Stubbs fan--I think his trade value may be greater than his field value--but I'd be nervous about anointing Phipps at this stage. Tough call. On the other hand, the odds of replacing Stubbs' contribution with some combination of Sappelt, Heisey and Phipps seem pretty dang solid. Too bad they're all right-handed hitters.
    Well put. Question becomes, if there's a solid offer out there for Stubbs (by way of pitching, preferably), do you pull the trigger? I think I would.

If I'm doing the math right, Phipps has a .436 BABIP across AA-AAA this year. I don't see a Sappelt like breakout here. I see a .260/.320/.400 hitter who's shown a touch more power and had a ton of luck.

The contact rate is still mediocre. BB:K ratio hasn't budged. His speed isn't' such that he's an infield single freak. Same guy, flukish results.

Sappelt's 2010 stats were mildly inflated by some good luck, but generally supported by his peripherals and his 2011 stats were in line with peripherals. Not really a good comp for Philpps.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If I'm doing the math right, Phipps has a .436 BABIP across AA-AAA this year. I don't see a Sappelt like breakout here. I see a .260/.320/.400 hitter who's shown a touch more power and had a ton of luck.

The contact rate is still mediocre. BB:K ratio hasn't budged. His speed isn't' such that he's an infield single freak. Same guy, flukish results.

Sappelt's 2010 stats were mildly inflated by some good luck, but generally supported by his peripherals and his 2011 stats were in line with peripherals. Not really a good comp for Philpps.
    This. I'm not really banking on Phipps at all at this point. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the speed for centerfield, and barring improvement, he shouldn't be getting PT over Heisey or Sappelt in left.

Turn Off Ads?