Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will win the NL Central?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brewers

32 43.24%
  • Cardinals

1 1.35%
  • Reds

38 51.35%
  • Pirates

3 4.05%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halfway Point: Who wins the NL Central?

Halfway Point: Who wins the NL Central?

80 games in for the Reds, one game short of the halfway point. Who do YOU think wins the NL Central? Standings as of 6/27:

Standings:
    Brewers 44-35
    Cardinals 41-38 (3 GB)
    Reds 41-39 (3.5 GB)
    Pirates 39-38 (4 GB)

Run differential:
    Reds +41
    Brewers +27
    Cardinals +16
    Pirates -12

Pythag:
    Reds 43-36
    Brewers 42-37
    Cardinals 41-38
    Pirates 37-40

So what is YOUR prediction. Who do you think walks away with the Central Division? I will go on record saying I truly believe the Reds will be the champions. I think the Reds best baseball is yet to come, and the fact that they have a +41 differential in what has seemed like such a mediocre season says a lot about the true talent level of this team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Halfway Point: Who wins the NL Central?

I've still got the Reds. I think they are the best team and they have the most ammo to make a big time move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Cincinnati. The best team imo and still tons of room for improvement. I think the Reds will make a bold roster move or two and catch fire.

Milwaukee - the Brewers have the best hitters in the division and the best starting staff. I didn't think they would survive this brutal interleague stretch they're in, but not only are they surviving it they've expanded their lead over the Reds and Lards.

I think the Reds have the best overall talent, but the Brewers have a better line-up and a better rotation. My biggest concern with the Reds is that they won't have enough effective pitchers left standing by season's end. Ineffectiveness (Volquez, Wood), injury (Bailey) and uncharted innings pitched waters (Leake) may reduce that vaunted depth to a 2 man show (Arroyo and Cueto and hope for a tornado???).

The Reds easily have the best 40 man roster and players 26 through 50 are most talented in Cincy's org as compared to the rest of the Division, but those guys only help this year if they earn a promotion to the 25 man roster or are packaged for an impact addition. The Reds have the talent to get most of what they need, but I just don't think they have the cash to actually pull the trigger.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I voted for the Pirates, but only so that Sir Charles wouldn't be lonely.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I voted Brewers. I think their team as it stands now is equal in talent level to the Reds and Cardinals, but I think the Brewers are most likely to aggressively improve their team via trade this summer. The Brewers showed in the offseason they are going for it this year. They brought in Greinke and Marcum while the Reds stood pat. They are trying to win this year because they know that Fielder is likely gone after this year and their prime window of opportunity could be short. The Brewers will bring in stronger upgrades before the trade deadline and will pull away from the Reds and Cardinals.

I think the Brewers ownership has a stronger desire to win than Castellini does. I see no sense of urgency or competitive spirit coming from Reds management. They didn't make any moves last summer when we needed it, they didn't do anything to improve the team during the offseason and I don't think they will do anything significant this summer either.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I voted Brewers. I think their team as it stands now is equal in talent level to the Reds and Cardinals, but I think the Brewers are most likely to aggressively improve their team via trade this summer. The Brewers showed in the offseason they are going for it this year. They brought in Greinke and Marcum while the Reds stood pat. They are trying to win this year because they know that Fielder is likely gone after this year and their prime window of opportunity could be short. The Brewers will bring in stronger upgrades before the trade deadline and will pull away from the Reds and Cardinals.

I think the Brewers ownership has a stronger desire to win than Castellini does. I see no sense of urgency or competitive spirit coming from Reds management. They didn't make any moves last summer when we needed it, they didn't do anything to improve the team during the offseason and I don't think they will do anything significant this summer either.
    The Brewers might have more desire to win, but...

Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Very hard to say right now. I will say this, I don't think it will be the Cardinals or the Pirates.

The Brewers have a nice 3 game set against the Yanks in NY and so hopefully the Brewers will lose 2 of those games.

One important thing to remember is that the Reds have crushed the Brewers since the beginning of 2010 in head to head and they do get the Crew for 3 games right before the break. If the Crew breaks loose though, they are going to be hard to catch, so it's important to stay within I say 3 games of the Crew before the break. Hopefully it will be less, but 3 is a good number to shoot for and that series could be an important one. July is still a pretty tough month for the Reds while it's a pretty easy one for the Brewers.

I truly believe the Reds will win the division. Firstly, there's the run differential suggesting the Reds have played the best baseball thus far, despite the record. But for me, the real difference is depth. It's a long season. The Reds have the depth to both promote from within or acquire impact talent in the trade market. The same cannot be said about either the Cardinals or especially the Brewers.

If the Brewers stay fully healthy, they're going to be real tough. But they're only 1 injury from being in trouble.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Wow, 32 votes and zero for the Cardinals. I figured they'd finish 3rd in this poll, but that really shocks me.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Brewers. Their ownership went all in on FAs, to the extent that a small market team can. The team seems to grasp that it's now or never.

Neither the Reds nor Cardinals seem to be able to put together any sustained success. IMO, the Pirates will fade after the ASB.

This is the Brewers' year.

Milwaukee, but I do find it interesting how many on here are writing off the Cardinals. Despite their flaws in pitching and defense, that's a pretty solid offense when healthy. They also have an aggressive FO that I would guess will be active in the next 30 days.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Brewers. Their ownership went all in on FAs, to the extent that a small market team can. The team seems to grasp that it's now or never.

Neither the Reds nor Cardinals seem to be able to put together any sustained success. IMO, the Pirates will fade after the ASB.

This is the Brewers' year.
    My thoughts exactly. I feel the same way about them now as I did before the season. They're the best team in the division. Loaded lineup, underrated rotation, and decent bullpen with a closer that has worked out nicely for them.

Braun and Fielder are just so consistent in the middle of that lineup. it's a 1-2 punch we cannot match.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'm picking the Brewers.

For whatever reason, things just aren't working out for our Reds this year.
    It happens.. it's hard to repeat.
    I am guessing that continued inconsistency from the pitching staff is ultimately going to stop the Reds.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?