Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2012 Payroll

2012 Payroll

The Reds need a closer and a left fielder in 2012, right? We'd (mostly) agree that these are the needs, I'm guessing. We wouldn't want the FO to sit on their hands again and not do something to improve the club.

So how much do they have left to spend?

Let's assume the Reds are operating with around $80 million in payroll for 2012. I plugged commitments (from Cot's and other sources) into a spreadsheet and came up with $68 mill. Before a few arbitration cases. See chart below.

This assumed a couple things:

1) BPhil's option will be picked up; though it's possible that the they'll rework that salary and break into a 3 year extenstion (a la Arroyo). This could be a place to "find" more money.
    2) Cordero's option will be turned down; so I built in $1 mill for that pay-out.
    3) I assume Ramon won't be back of offered arb and that Mes is up.

Those arbitration cases could quickly eat up that pay-flex. They are:

• Bailey
    • Janish
    • Masset
    • Bray
    • Arrendondo
    • Burton

No world beaters in the mix, to be sure. But I have to think all of them will add up to a few million.

So... do the Reds have less than $8 million to solve left field and closer?

This, to me, screams out that a salary-shedding trade will be made. Possibly of the Votto magnitude.

It's going to be an interesting hot stove league.

Code:
                            2012    salary
      c          Hanigan            1.3
      1b        Votto               11.5
      2b        Phillips              12
      ss         Cozart              0.45
      3b        Rolen               8.17
      rf          Bruce               5.08
      cf         Stubbs              0.45
      lf                      

sp1       Cueto               5.4
      sp2       Arroyo             12
      sp3       Leake               0.45
      sp4       Bailey               Arb1
      sp5       Chapman          4.71

closer               

bench   Mes                 0.45
                  Cairo                1
                  Sappelt             0.45
                  Heisey              0.45
                  Janish               Arb1

bull       Masset             Arb3
                  Lecure              0.45
                  Ondrusek         0.45
                  Bray                 Arb2
                  Arrendondo      Arb1
                  Burton              Arb3

other    Alonso             1.4
                  Coco buyout    1

contracts          10        67.16
      options             1          1
      arbs                  6          ???
       TOTAL                          68.16
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Payroll

sp2 Arroyo 12

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Reds are on pace to realize a 10% increase in attendance this season versus last season. It will be interesting to see if payroll is impacted.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I could see us offering Lewis arbitration. Add him and Sappelt and you have your LF for 2012. I think Sappelt is our everyday LF and leadoff man in 2012.

I'd love to get Arroyo's contracts off the book, but that's not likely happening. Though I could maybe see the Sox or Yankees picking him off waivers. If we don't move him this year, I think he's got 10/5 next.

But rather than needing to trade a salary to make a bigger move in FA, I think the move is still the trade market. Use that ~8M to upgrade, along the lines of what a Jiminez trade would have accomplished. Anibal Sanchez would be a decent target. He's an arb3 guy and will be getting expensive for Florida. That said, he's no ace. Or if you want to go big, Votto for Lincecum. MVP for Cy Young. We need pitching, they need offense. and they could play Belt in RF.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-09-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If Janish, Burton, or Arrendondo cost more than 2 mil combined you non tender them. Their value isn't worth arguing before the arby board.

Payroll flexibility is why I would consider not picking up Phillips option. That 12 mil could go a long ways to improving a bunch of places and while we would lose defense I think with some of the guys we have waiting for their shot you might find "comparable" offensive bats. Or at the very least give you the flexibility to seriously approach a team like the Rays for Shields.
    Last edited by Slyder; 08-09-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Nitpicking, but $5 Million of Arroyo's deal is deferred. If the Reds fund it from the 2012 budget, they probably pay around $3.5 Million of that or so. Rolen is at 7.8 and not 8.1. Chapman also has a bunch deferred and only will cost $2 Million in 2012. I'd guess Burton won't get offered a contract and Janish probably plays for a little over the minimum or he's gone too. Cots shows Alonso at $1 Million instead of $1.4. Counting Arroyo at $10.5 and I get another $5 Million or so to spend off of the number shown.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Nitpicking, but $5 Million of Arroyo's deal is deferred. If the Reds fund it from the 2012 budget, they probably pay around $3.5 Million of that or so. Rolen is at 7.8 and not 8.1. Chapman also has a bunch deferred and only will cost $2 Million in 2012. I'd guess Burton won't get offered a contract and Janish probably plays for a little over the minimum or he's gone too. Cots shows Alonso at $1 Million instead of $1.4. Counting Arroyo at $10.5 and I get another $5 Million or so to spend off of the number shown.
    Was going to post this.. your always on it mth!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised to see Phillips sign a contract similar to Rolen and Arroyo where he gets a chunk differed. I also see either going with a in house committee for the closer role or perhaps bring back CoCo after declining his option at a lower rate.

This team doesn't have a lot of options as it looks for Free Agency so it will be something to watch and see if names like: Alonso, Sappelt, Heisey, Frazier, Francisco, Wood, Boxberger, Bailey, Volquez, etc.. get dangled for missing pieces.

Turn Off Ads?