Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The lost art of the bunt

The lost art of the bunt

Not just the Reds but all major league teams have forgotten how to bunt it seems. If Drew Stubbs(or any other moderately fast player) could bunt properly his average would jump up a bit considering his speed. Is it just me, or is this a trend that needs to stop. If a little leaguer or a high school ball player can bunt, why can't Drew Stubbs lay down a bunt or two a series? This s#$% drives me absolutely nuts. Shouldn't guys be learning proper technique earlier than they currently are. Call me crazy, but A or AA ball isn't the time to learn how to bunt. The bunt is something that should be taught in little league and over time mastered. I would be embarassed to be a big league ball player and not have the ability to drop down a friggin bunt. Any opinions on the matter?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The lost art of the bunt

Outside of pitchers, there are very few players or situations in which I would be happy to waste an out on to move a runner up.

should mlb players know how to bunt yes but cmon not many highschool players can bunt in an mlb came.

i believe sabremetrics proved the bunt to not yiled as many runs

good thing I am not the manager....lol....I would have Jay Bruce and Stubbs bunt once a series until it teams got them out on a consistent basis.....Bruce could walk to 1st base after bunting with the shift they play him....Stubbs would raise his AVG 20 points if he did it an entire season.....

I just about break my nice flatscreen LCD everytime that happens.....Lay a bunt down and at least make teams stop playing the shift, or in Stubbs' case, make the 3rd baseman play up in the grass and give you more room to get on by him...these guys are making millions yet Dusty does not force them to bunt to better the team.....makes me blood boil

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    i believe sabremetrics proved the bunt to not yiled as many runs
    I don't think saber was watching the game where the 3rd baseman was playing around 2nd base.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I don't think saber was watching the game where the 3rd baseman was playing around 2nd base.
    No kidding, the shift on him last night should have forced him to at least lay one down and keep em honest.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    good thing I am not the manager....lol....I would have Jay Bruce and Stubbs bunt once a series until it teams got them out on a consistent basis.....Bruce could walk to 1st base after bunting with the shift they play him....Stubbs would raise his AVG 20 points if he did it an entire season.....
    Wouldn't this depend on where the bunt goes? Now you're not only assuming that getting a bunt down against MLB pitching is simple, but also assuming it will go out of the catcher's reach and down the 3rd base line.

I agree with the overall point that it seems like bunting should be easy, especially when they shift. Unfortunately, its not. If you're Dusty Baker (or the player if its his call), you have to deal with the reality of the situation. The fact is, asking Stubbs or Bruce to bunt is just as likely to result in 2 foul balls to get behind in the count, a bunt back to the pitcher, or a popped up bunt as it is to result in a bunt down the 3rd base line. Guys not being able to bunt is frustrating. Guys giving away ABs or strikes trying when they already know they can't is much worse for the team.

bruce can bunt ive seen him do it plenty of times. hes just not gonna do it that much

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    well i think there in lies the exception where a player is playing for a hit and not a sacrifice.

but generally i think sabremetrics states that its mathematically incorrect to play for 1 run by sacrificing.

unless its a 1 run or tie game late in the game as another exception

Turn Off Ads?