Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: 6.28.11 v the Rays

Re: 6.28.11 v the Rays

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Gotta agree with Brutus here. There were certainly opportunities earlier in the game. That AB with Heisey comes to mind when he needed to get down the bunt, but fouled off 2 and then struck out. That was big IMO. There were several others. That bloop hit that plated 2...if Heisey keeps that ball in front of him like he was supposed to, only 1 scores. I like that he made the attempt, but to be honest, the person with the best shot at it was probably the shortstop...but Renteria just doesn't have the speed or mobility to get there. Could Janish have gotten it? Maybe. But you can't let it score 2.

So yeah, there were things we could've done better. And yes, there was some luck involved as you'd expect too.
    What about missed opportunities by the opponent? Isn't every out a missed opportunity, if we are going to look at games at that level? Wasn't Bruce hitting a home run in the ninth a missed opportunity by Farnsworth?
    Last edited by traderumor; 06-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

One product of this discussion, though, is a hypothesis for the reason a dominating pitcher dominates all teams, regardless of their offensive abilities: the dominating pitcher has repeatable skills that outweigh the offensive skills AND the randomness inherent in the game.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    What about missed opportunities by the opponent? Isn't every out a missed opportunity, if we are going to look at games at that level? Wasn't Bruce hitting a home run in the ninth a missed opportunity by Farnsworth?
    Sure. I wasn't assuming otherwise. I just don't think the loss can be attributed to solely luck.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Why would Janish not be in there as the SS? Renteria needs to be replaced at SS anytime they have the lead after 7-8 innings.
    Yep. I commented during the game that I was surprised Dusty didn't pinch run for Renteria. For 2 reasons, I wanted more speed on the bases there AND I wanted a better defender going down the stretch. But I was proved wrong on the first count...and as for Janish getting to that ball...I'm not sure he does either. It was enough doubt for me to not get upset at Dusty about it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Sure. I wasn't assuming otherwise. I just don't think the loss can be attributed to solely luck.
    And I don't think that is what those who say the bloop by Damon was luck are saying either. I think what people are saying, when you flesh it all out, that bloop hit really sucked considering how even the game was and how it seemed to be going our way late. If you want to drill down on each element of the game, maybe Damon is just the better player for even getting the bat on the ball, so a good thing happened. But I see that as a distinction without a difference from saying, "man, that was a lucky bloop hit."

Turn Off Ads?