Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 6.28.11 v the Rays

Re: 6.28.11 v the Rays

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Bray was the better choice, he handled Damon extremely well.

Well, there has to be one poster who only looks at the result and makes his choice based entirely on that.

We should have pinch hit for every batter who made an out too.

Buy your reasonaing, shouldn't Cueto have been taken out after he retired the first batter in the 8th?
    I think plenty people agree with me, but go on and make me the whipping boy. I expect that.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    You read my mail. It was a pitching duel that we lost thanks to two bad managerial moves. Yes, it sucked.
    What managerial moves are you referencing?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I said right after he got the second out to leave Cueto in. Go down with your best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I can't blame Dusty though for tonight. I can't really blame anyone.

That just sucked.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    What managerial moves are you referencing?
    Taking Cueto out at only 95 pitches and then bringing Logan in, but apparently that's stupid to think that, so I move we strike it from the record.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I think plenty people agree with me, but go on and make me the whipping boy. I expect that.
    I doubt many posters believe that Baker lost the game becuase he shouldn't have brought in Bray and Ondrusek.

I would have bet big money that no one would have said that.

Ondrusek was the obvious choice in a 3-3 game in the 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I doubt many posters believe that Baker lost the game becuase he shouldn't have brought in Bray and Ondrusek.

I would have bet big money that no one would have said that.
    Whatever. I've removed my comment. How stupid of me to think that,
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Nah, it was the right move. Damon had already homered off him, two bottom of the order lefties had just singled in the inning, it was exactly the right move, really a no brainer.

And Bray did his job. It was baseball, bloops fall in, line drives get caught. I can accept that.

But it is still a sucky way to lose a well pitched game. If you want to blame someone, blame the game for being the way it is.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    That has nothing to do with tonight. Good pitching, timely hitting, scratched out some runs against a great pitcher.

Still lost.
    They scored 3 runs and struck out 13 times. Forgive me if that's not terribly impressive.

They didn't do enough. In fact, scoring 3 runs in a game is only getting teams a win 40% of the time this year in the league. So that's not enough, good pitcher or otherwise.

Scratching out 3 runs isn't a job well done. It's not terrible, but it's not sufficient a majority of the time.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Dusty certainly didn't lose the game tonight. Baseball is just so much about luck.

Personally I want my "ace" going at least 110 pitches in if he is not gassed. This decision tonight wasn't terrible at all though, IMO. Dusty has made plenty of those type of decisions this year though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Taking Cueto out at only 95 pitches and then bringing Logan in, but apparently that's stupid to think that, so I move we strike it from the record.
    Damon hit a HR and stung a line drive earlier in the game against Cueto. Bray has been one of the best lefty-on-lefty guys in the game the first half of the season. He hit a flare that went 150 feet.

Ondrusek has been a pretty solid guy out of the pen the past two years.

It's not stupid to think that, but it's off base.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    They scored 3 runs and struck out 13 times. Forgive me if that's not terribly impressive.

They didn't do enough. In fact, scoring 3 runs in a game is only getting teams a win 40% of the time this year in the league. So that's not enough, good pitcher or otherwise.

Scratching out 3 runs isn't a job well done. It's not terrible, but it's not sufficient a majority of the time.
    They were facing David Price. They went into the 8th down by a run, and got the lead. That's timely hitting.

Cueto pitched great, that's great hitting.

Bruce hit a homer to tie it in the ninth, more clutch hitting.

They got beat on a blooper. There's just not a lot you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

Come on, Brutus, this was David Price. The offense did its job, scratched out a few runs off a top shelf pitcher, the pitching was good, just a bloop away from a big win. It's a tough loss, esp. when we seem to have lost all the close ones for two months running now.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

These games happen. Looking back for someone/something to blame is kind of ridiculous.

Turn Off Ads?