Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 6.28.11 v the Rays

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: 6.28.11 v the Rays

It's hard to argue geting 3 runs in a game with Price pitching and your ace on ther mound pitching lights out.

The only thing that beat us tonight was luck.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    It's not stupid to think that, but it's off base.
    Well, apparently others disagree. Anyway, the main gripe I had was removing Cueto--the ace of the staff. Let him lose it for himself instead of having a reliever give up inherited runners.

Maybe the fatal error thing should have told me that I should stay away. One poster here always attacks anything I say. I'm outa here for awhile. Being stupid and all, I should have no opinions. I forgot about that. Especially if they are stupid.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Well, apparently others disagree. Anyway, the main gripe I had was removing Cueto--the ace of the staff. Let him lose it for himself instead of having a reliever give up inherited runners.

Maybe the fatal error thing should have told me that I should stay away. One poster here always attacks anything I say. I'm outa here for awhile. Being stupid and all, I should have no opinions. I forgot about that. Especially if they are stupid.
    Come on man, no need to act like a child. Everyone's frustrated with the loss.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    They were facing David Price. They went into the 8th down by a run, and got the lead. That's timely hitting.

Cueto pitched great, that's great hitting.

Bruce hit a homer to tie it in the ninth, more clutch hitting.

They got beat on a blooper. There's just not a lot you can do.
    Sure there is. You capitalize on more opportunities. You advance more baserunners. You score more runs. There's plenty that can be done over the course of a baseball game.

David Price is a terrific pitcher. But the Reds had opportunities in the 5th and 6th innings and did nothing with them. By doing so, they put themselves in a position when they did get a lead late, it was still very tenuous.

I just don't submit to the, woe is us, victims of bad luck sentiment. I think, while luck exists to a degree, you also make your own luck. If you capitalize on more opportunities, you don't subject yourself to the balls bouncing the wrong way.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The same way they won so many like this last year.
    The Reds were 27-27 in one run games last year.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Nah. I try to be respectful of everyone. This just keeps happening over and over. I'm 62 years old and don't need lectures or condescending comments. Yep, I'm old. It's bad enough to lose without a lecture.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    The Reds were 27-27 in one run games last year.
    If they were .500 this year in one-run games, they'd be in pretty good shape.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Come on, Brutus, this was David Price. The offense did its job, scratched out a few runs off a top shelf pitcher, the pitching was good, just a bloop away from a big win. It's a tough loss, esp. when we seem to have lost all the close ones for two months running now.
    David Price has an ERA of 3.5. The put up 2 runs on him in 8 innings. They didn't even get to his average.

David Price or not, they didn't hit well... not even relative to how teams usually do against him. He strikes out 8 1/2 per nine. They struck out 12 times against him in 8 innings. That's substandard even by his normal night.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    If they were .500 this year in one-run games, they'd be in pretty good shape.
    6-13 this year. #snakebit

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

What I find tough is suggesting that every loss has to be pinned on someone.

Baseball is likely 50% random. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    David Price has an ERA of 3.5. The put up 2 runs on him in 8 innings. They didn't even get to his average.

David Price or not, they didn't hit well... not even relative to how teams usually do against him. He strikes out 8 1/2 per nine. They struck out 12 times against him in 8 innings. That's substandard even by his normal night.
    Well of course you can always play the perfect game. If you don't then luck is involved. How is that debatable?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Well of course you can always play the perfect game. If you don't then luck is involved. How is that debatable?
    Good teams don't leave things to chance. They take care of business by maximizing their opportunities. How is that debatable?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

You're really grasping to be consistent with your "its the offense" position here. I think you know the numbers and how they work better than this reflects.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Good teams don't leave things to chance. They take care of business by maximizing their opportunities. How is that debatable?
    The first debate point I see is you begging the question. Good teams are subject to the factor of chance in the game of baseball. In fact, this game is probably subject to chance more than most.
    Last edited by traderumor; 06-28-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

I don't have a dog in the fight, so take this fwiw, but I think you're being hyper-sensitive. I don't see anything the last couple of pages that should have you bent out of shape. Everyone's just irritated by losing a game that, imo, we should have won.

Turn Off Ads?